Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Qld covid border closures

Re: Qld covid border closures

The only real pandemic Aus has ever faced was the Spanish Flu in 1919. We didn't know much about disease control at that time and there were millions of soldiers bringing it back from Europe to different parts of the world. The global result was devastating.

The spread of Spanish Flu was controlled by the type of international transport at that time. Ships.

But when the ships arrived hundreds of carriers were free to spread the virus unchecked

Covid promised more of the same of 100 years ago and Aus was better prepared.

Only difference this time was that international travel was now by aircraft. Much quicker. Other countries also had land borders, river borders and air borders to consider.

Aus is an island and had previous experience with ocean borders so it was primarily air transport where the danger lay.

Predictions of doom and gloom needed to be addressed by respective governments and Aus responded based on the science (sound familar?).

I think that the Aus response was excellent and based on their own judgement that we were dealing with a pandemic similar to the Spanish Flu. (not the illness itself but the logistics associated with transportation, infection rate and domestic spread).

The national plan was good but let down by the performances of individual premiers who claim to hold constitutional power for dealing with health matters. If the Fed govt had decided that Covid was a national security matter (thus falling under Fed constitutional responsibility) the response might have been different. But they didn't and only formed the "national cabinet" to advise the states.

The premiers arranged different responses in each state influenced by the political climate "at home". So we ended up with inconsistent responses across Aus.

Vic is a prime example of what went wrong with response not matching the political rhetoric. Qld and WA not far behind.

Overall we've had 104 deaths (so far) but with the level of inconsistency we should be grateful that it wasn't more.

The one big mistake that the states made was allowing the marches/rallies etc. These were approvals based on politics not on community health/safety. Those marches could have been carried out at another/safer time.

But for the message being sent to the communities was pretty straight forward. Its OK to ignore social distancing declarations sometimes.

So the community feeling was "If its OK for organisers, participants and Govts to ignore the rules then its OK for everybody else to ignore them too". Or community reaction to that effect.

It was seen by many as Inconsistent application of the rules approaching hypocrisy (and not just in the Peoples' Republic of Victoria).

It'll take Vic a while to recover from the outbreak but it will. Having to accept assistance to deal with the outbreak because he "got it wrong" will be an albatross that Chairman Daniel will simply have to wear.

Covid is a strong argument for constitutional change to put the Feds in charge of threats to national health on a national security basis once and for-all. I believe that the constitutional power already exists but the Fed Govt seems to have decided that the resulting bunfight with the states wasn't the time to talk about it (and probably rightly so).

But the issue needs to be sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    that myth may or may not turn out to be true. But it became a talking point across the globe when trump started talking about the virus going away when he weather warms up.

He’s a Moron.

they are now in their summer and cranking out ever increasing records on daily new infections. Looking at the charts. The active cases are now rising as fast as the early days before the lock downs. In short, I doubt there’s much they can do now. At current rates they’re looking at over a million new cases a month.

For the Mexicans, NSW and South Australia should just build a wall on the boarder and make Victoria pay for it.

Aww, Common Lovey,
    If Trump wasn't there, life would be boring.
    I never took much of an interest in US politics before, but I laugh my tits off when I see him in his press conferences.
    I know I should take it more seriously, but I just can't, it's been a circus.

Yep, us southerners want to be a separate state to you other blokes, a quick cull out first, then when numbers are better, we become independent....
    Just gotta get the NRL finals locked in for down here first....

Time will tell on the spread of this damn thing, I guess, they seem to come up with a different theory every week....
    Interesting times...

Col

The one big mistake that the states made was allowing the marches/rallies etc. These were approvals based on politics not on community health/safety. Those marches could have been carried out at another/safer time.

[/QUOTE]

Re the rallies. Just what states paved the way legally for these to happen ?. I am aware of one here in NSW that went ahead after a technicality in the initial approval. All subsequent ones deemed illegal.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Just what states paved the way legally for these to happen ?.

Whether the rallies were legal or not wasn't the message to come out of them.

Adelaide gave their first rally the legal green light by granting a gathering exemption. So it was legal. (Then backtracked for the second proposed rally and no exemption was issued. I believe it was called off).

The Sydney rally was given the legal green light when the NSW Court of Appeal allowed it to proceed. So it was legal also.

There was nothing legal about those in Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth .

The timing of the rallies was simply plain silly and self-serving on the part of the organisers considering what Aus was dealing with at the time. The messages trying to be put forward were ok.

But by NOT doing anything to stop them or talk the rally organisers out of them, those states ( Vic, Qld and WA) were giving tacit approval and THAT was the wrong message to be sending out to everybody else.

What's good for the goose was good for the gander became widespread community comment.

I went to the local rally here in Rockhampton.

About 120 people turned up by the 1pm start and it was quite orderly. I left at about 1.20pm and there was a trickle of more people arriving building the numbers to about 150 - 175 or so.

ABC news reported up to 800 attendees at 2 rallies (Rocky and Ayr). Don't know where they invented those figures.

News conferrence

Looks like the Qld borders will be open from 10th July to visitors from every state except........guess where.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Aww, Common Lovey,
    If Trump wasn't there, life would be boring.
    I never took much of an interest in US politics before, but I laugh my tits off when I see him in his press conferences.
    I know I should take it more seriously, but I just can't, it's been a circus.

Yep, us southerners want to be a separate state to you other blokes, a quick cull out first, then when numbers are better, we become independent....
    Just gotta get the NRL finals locked in for down here first....

Time will tell on the spread of this damn thing, I guess, they seem to come up with a different theory every week....
    Interesting times...

Col
    Isn't that the truth.

The terrifying thing is that the alternative come November is not much better, obviously corrupt and is half way to full blown dementia. I think Trump still stands a better than 50/50 chance of winning this election. That is unthinkable considering the constant gaffs, sheer incompetence and cringeworthy press conferences and now a terrible handling of a pandemic but I think its going to happen.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

HaHaHa, Lovey, I put some coin down when Trump won, incredible odds, so I thought, why not... it was my best ever return from any punt I've ever taken.

I recon your spot on, there's every chance, he will get re elected......
    The alternatives, are probably worse in all honesty LOL.
    I know it's not funny, but I seriously can't keep a straight face when he's on Tele at these news conferences, Then there's " crooked Hillary " LOL.
    It truly is a farce, can you actually imagine the reaction if he does get re elected !! my sides are hurting already..

Cheers
    Col

U're a bit late Col.

NQ wanted that in 1890s. Secede from Qld into another state called Albertland. Cut Qld off at the tropic and everything above that to be declared a separate state. Qld ended up joining the federation as a divided state to become part of Australia. Regional Qld voted NO and the Brisbane/SE area voted yes with a very small majority.

WA didn't join (until later) and the other invitee (NZ) didn't join at all. Was going to be called the Commonwealth of Australasia until NZ pulled out.

Nobody in this area ( CQ) ever forgave the bushranger Frank Gardiner for his role in the formation of Australia. He also didn't get the credit for it as he should have. Instead Henry Parkes rose to fame and glory on Frank's back.

The aim was part of what was eventually called the Great Shearers' strike and ended up as the formation of the ALP in Barcaldine at the Tree of Knowledge (beside the Barcaldine Railway State).

Most miserable tree I've ever seen without any shade and it ended up poisoned a few years later. Maybe that was why the ALP didn't pick up much knowledge by standing in the sun. Bloody hot in Barcaldine at times. Rumour has it that the ghost of Robert Menzies was seen skulking around the shunting yards at that time (mid 1990s).

At the trial of the strike ringleaders in Rockhampton, the trial judge (Virgil Power) declared that the strike had little to do with the settlement of an industrial dispute and was simply a secession attempt.

However, he was under orders that none of the ringleaders was to be found guilty of treason 'cos the Qld govt didn't want any martyrs considering that it wasn't long after the American civil war.

It was the first documented case of the executive wing of govt interfering with the judicial arm of govt. Old Jo Bjelke refined that interference into an artform later but maybe he got the idea from there.

The residence of the new governor had already been built (and still remains) as an integral part of Rocky's rich history. Magnificent building and grounds preserved. Maybe we can ultimately use it for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    HaHaHa, Lovey, I put some coin down when Trump won, incredible odds, so I thought, why not... it was my best ever return from any punt I've ever taken.

I recon your spot on, there's every chance, he will get re elected......
    The alternatives, are probably worse in all honesty LOL.
    I know it's not funny, but I seriously can't keep a straight face when he's on Tele at these news conferences, Then there's " crooked Hillary " LOL.
    It truly is a farce, can you actually imagine the reaction if he does get re elected !! my sides are hurting already..

Cheers
    Col
    I know there’s going to be funny bits to this. Especially the radical left and the cancel culture brigade and their identity politics. I can’t wait to see them triggered. That will be fun.

What won’t be fun is the strong potential for a civil war that seems to me to be brewing and the potential for a failed state.

Ronje, I’ve lived most of my life in SEQ. I would happily support QLD splitting into two states. For far too long Premiers in SEQ have been happy to sit on NQ royalties and agriculture without giving nearly enough back.

a civil war that seems to me to be brewing

At least they'll all be well armed over there.

The Qld govt sent a contingent of the Qld army up here with a gatling gun.

The only thing that stopped guerilla war breaking out was the railway system that allowed troops to be moved around quickly between trouble spots Barcaldine and Clermont.

Then in 1942, the bloody Fed govt came up with the infamous Brisbane Line leaving the rest of Qld to the japanese.

At least the US sent 65,000 troops to Rocky to defend regional Qld while the Aus govt was happy to let the japanese have it.
    US people and military always welcome in Rocky particularly with Shoalwater Bay training area nearby.

Successive Qld govts always favour SE Qld due to the larger voting numbers there using a lot of the money from regional mining royalties. Fed govt has been doing the same thing with taxes.

Plenty of arms in regional Qld. Wide Bay region has a lot of irrigation crops fed by water canals etc so pvc ag pipe is normally in abundance particularly 6 inch.

When the reforms came in, you could not buy 6 inch end-caps for a long time. All gone. No prizes for guessing.

I think yanks have got a better system to combat centralisation of power in that the largest city in a state is NOT the capital eg Sacremento is capital of California (not Los Angeles or San Francisco).

What we've ended up with in Aus is still pretty good though not perfect. Always nice to come home to.

Only third world countries I'll visit now would be Tasmania and/or NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Isn't that the truth.

The terrifying thing is that the alternative come November is not much better, obviously corrupt and is half way to full blown dementia. I think Trump still stands a better than 50/50 chance of winning this election. That is unthinkable considering the constant gaffs, sheer incompetence and cringeworthy press conferences and now a terrible handling of a pandemic but I think its going to happen.
    It's a case of which turd is the least palatable

Fancy going to an election & having those two choices - specially if you are a normal sane person .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Today came the announcement that 6 Victorian AFL clubs would move to Qld to continue the season.

Qld Premier A Palawheelbarrow joked about Qld now being the home of Aussie Rules.

She wouldn't have known of the role by Qld in the establishment of Aussie Rules in Aus.

So Aussie Rules is simply coming home to Qld.

For those wanting to find out more about the real home of aussie rules look up the name Thomas Wentworth WILLS.

Both NSW and Qld figure prominently in how it started in Aus and the role that cricket played. Tom's dad (Horatio Spencer WILLS).

Did Vic play a major role in establishment of aussie rules? No. It played but a minor part.

The originator was from NSW and the game was developed in Qld (near Springsure at Cullinaringo station).

The life of Tom Wills was the driver of Aussie Rules in Aus.

I often used to joke to visiting Vics that the game was developed in Qld and we Qld'ers dont mind Vic borrowing it but be aware that one day we might want it back.

Well, there's sure a lot of stress and uncertainty around s/e Aus this morning. Poor buggers.

Melbournians locked down again for a least 6 weeks and borders closed. Residents near those borders also have their lives turned upside down.

Vic has gone from a Camelot existence where a drover's dog could run the place to a full scale emergency response where a different kind of leader is needed for the rough times ahead.

"Chairman Dan" isn't a leader. He's no John Curtin. He's still trying to bludgeon people.

I see some parallels between Vic and what's happening in Hong Kong in the way that residents must feel about their bleak futures AND both run by a Chairman (except that in HK residents can't get rid of their's).

At least in Vic they do have the opportunity but there'll be tough times before that arises.

Meanwhile, Vic residents need support and not just from internal and external authorities focused on the problem.

They also need it at our level and given in our individual way. Maybe resolve not to "bag 'em" for a while (that'll not be easy) or something.

Anyway, at least think about and empathise with the poor buggers.

I think here’s a lot that can be done for the regional border towns. I may be wrong but I think a few cases have popped up in Albury. If they can do a segmented lock down of Wodonga (and other similar regional towns) to other victorians and do wide spread testing. They could effectively drive a soft border south like a military clearance operation that would put those poor buggers just on the inside of Victoria inside the NSW bubble.

That’s of course if NSW/ACT can track down those F-ing idiots that came from Melbourne in the last two weeks and NSW doesn’t have its own explosion.