Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Qld covid border closures

Re: Qld covid border closures

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    That’s racist if I’ve ever heard racism. I can assure you some of the worst drivers I’ve ever encountered hold Australian licences

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast
    I find that hard to believe.

Australian drivers may be bad drivers to our rules and laws in australia but world wide we have seen absolutely nothing

How do u train the bad australian drivers in countries with dirt roads, no lights, no round abouts, no signs what so ever

Than bring them to australia for a spin around the city in sydney...

I think your being too narrow minded because u probably grew up a custom to australian driving rules

Racist highly likely... you may like sitting behind someone doing 45 in a 70 zone with double lines for 30mins but that pisses me iff the most now if they were taught to drive in australia they'd be sitting on 70 give or take 5+- these people are lucky i only have high beam that goes unsceen in the day haha and yes when i have a horn i road rage because 25 under the limit is not acceptable

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Surely FIFO workers can "go home" via a quarantine lockup Steeler?

Nope, Watching PM the other night and they sighted numerous situations where FIFO workers in WA have not seen there families since the beginning of the year. many of these had kids under the age of 10.

This is the bullshit in it all, These stupid state premiers with self serving interests are keeping these borders closed and hiding behind crap like we don't want tourists or in the case of that peanut in WA who blatantly cited finances for his decision to maintain closures. He doesn't want WA residents leaving WA spending money interstate and then returning hassle free. He has maintained the border closures to deter WA residents from spending anywhere but in WA.

Ask yourself would that be tolerated as a stand alone issue any other time to close a border ?.

There is a real hidden human cost to all these unnecessary border closures, But as long as some can hide behind the old we don't want tourists excuse those people will be forgotten. That is exactly what these self serving state premiers want you to do.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...covid/12610390

Its about time we opened up, made people take responsibility for there own actions and safety and most importantly quit with the " Its all about me " so keep the country closed rubbish.

This starts with some sub human state premiers and there federal colleagues who don't have the courage to call them out for there political opportunism.

Has that Janette Young been allowed back out in front of the cameras in the last couple of days ?. Every time she makes a public statement not in tune with Annastacia Stayaways political purposes she gets sent to Coventry for a few days so her comments can't be followed up on with her.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Fact is they may not suffer for their own actions but others might.
    A FIFO might bring it in and is willing to risk his wife and kids but what about the rest of the community?
    The cancer victim next door on Chemo, or the old guy across the road with lung disease?
    All about me...

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Fact is they may not suffer for their own actions but others might.
    A FIFO might bring it in and is willing to risk his wife and kids but what about the rest of the community?
    The cancer victim next door on Chemo, or the old guy across the road with lung disease?
    All about me...

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    All valid points but elimination was never the plan was it . Getting to a manageable level was, Aren't we there now ?.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...covid/12610390
    Those FIFO workers all had and still have choices, what have we become, crying to the Govt when things don't go perfectly for you? BooHoo, suck it up & do something about it instead of wanting someone else to fix it for you.

FWIW I think flattening the curve has morphed into community transmission elimination and now there's talk of home quarantine instead of hotels which is the dumbest idea that's come out since this whole thing started.
    Hopefully they are only kite flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    All valid points but elimination was never the plan was it . Getting to a manageable level was, Aren't we there now ?.
    That was always a case of managing expectations knowing how easily it could have got away from them. At the time half the world was going nuts, so stating elimination as the goal would have been setting them up to fail.

as it is we are close to elimination in all bar one state. Opening and closing every 10 minutes for long period could harm more than the lock down does.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Steeler, I don't count grey nomads as tourists, a "proper" tourist spends money on hotels, theme parks and going out, grey nomads know every free camp site in the entire country. I know they might spend some cash on fuel and some odd cheap food, but that just about covers it (in my opinion) my point with the border closures is that tourism as such doesn't need to perish, all "we" have to do is see our own backyard for a while.
    That is absolutely spot on - I've spoken to enough of them , know some of them ( incl my neighbor & a good mate) ....... I've sat around them whilst "sundowning" & listened to them discuss this kind of stuff. Caravan parks are a necessary evil in a lot of their minds.
    There are towns that are recognising this & have basically shut down some of these free spots that the council maintains ..... the cost benefit does not stack up. I dont know how many times I've spoken to small business owners in little towns & mentioned the subject - quite common to hear a "nah , mate " they pull up just outside of town or at a local park .... bring out their chairs & make their lunch or dinner. Watch the roll in at places like Benaraby on the south side of the river or just up the road at Calliope on the north side of the river. Shoalhaven river just outside of Braidwood .... it's the same. I've done probably 80,000Ks of towing my boat through NSW & Qld over the past decade - towns do not generally thrive on the grey nomads.
    The other end of the spectrum - are fishoes ...... Fishoes actually spend money & spend big in local communities . Accommodation , Fuel , bait , ice , beer ...... & they love their pub meals after the end of a big day on the water. ..... it's a massive difference. These shutdowns have stopped the travelling fishoes who do actually bring money in.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

what have we become, crying to the Govt when things don't go perfectly for you? BooHoo, suck it up & do something about it instead of wanting someone else to fix it for you.

Not sure what your are insinuating there Fed, Will have to clarify it for me ?.

It is less Govt control people in this situation find themselves wanting not more ?. There not interested in hiding under a doona, Benefiting from either Govt Jobseeker or keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    That is absolutely spot on - I've spoken to enough of them , know some of them ( incl my neighbor & a good mate) ....... I've sat around them whilst "sundowning" & listened to them discuss this kind of stuff. Caravan parks are a necessary evil in a lot of their minds.
    There are towns that are recognising this & have basically shut down some of these free spots that the council maintains ..... the cost benefit does not stack up. I dont know how many times I've spoken to small business owners in little towns & mentioned the subject - quite common to hear a "nah , mate " they pull up just outside of town or at a local park .... bring out their chairs & make their lunch or dinner. Watch the roll in at places like Benaraby on the south side of the river or just up the road at Calliope on the north side of the river. Shoalhaven river just outside of Braidwood .... it's the same. I've done probably 80,000Ks of towing my boat through NSW & Qld over the past decade - towns do not generally thrive on the grey nomads.
    The other end of the spectrum - are fishoes ...... Fishoes actually spend money & spend big in local communities . Accommodation , Fuel , bait , ice , beer ...... & they love their pub meals after the end of a big day on the water. ..... it's a massive difference. These shutdowns have stopped the travelling fishoes who do actually bring money in.

Chris
    Not up here in Cooktown mate things are busy as
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Not up here in Cooktown mate things are busy as
    I wonder if anybody has actually done a survey on how many grey nomads free camp. I know of some who do and many many more who don't and wouldn't even think of it, as I regularly used to stay in cabins and loved to sit around with the caravaners of an evening chatting, buying beers if they site had facilities or finding out where in town had the best/coldest beer and best meals. I found it was a great way of travelling.

And yes, I have free camped many times, usually on a road trip up to the cape or Daly etc where we would pull in throw some basic sleeping gear up and depart in the very wee hours of the morning. Often it was used as a strategy to stop some of our illustrious buddies from getting so pissed at the pub that departure was delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I wonder if anybody has actually done a survey on how many grey nomads free camp. I know of some who do and many many more who don't and wouldn't even think of it, as I regularly used to stay in cabins and loved to sit around with the caravaners of an evening chatting, buying beers if they site had facilities or finding out where in town had the best/coldest beer and best meals. I found it was a great way of travelling.

And yes, I have free camped many times, usually on a road trip up to the cape or Daly etc where we would pull in throw some basic sleeping gear up and depart in the very wee hours of the morning. Often it was used as a strategy to stop some of our illustrious buddies from getting so pissed at the pub that departure was delayed.
    There is a council free camp at the racecourse here in Cooktown but it is prone to , midges and you must be self contained ,the park we are working in is flat out and have the no vacancy sign up more than not . Down town everyone is happy as and are making good dollars at the moment ,we are leaving in 3 weeks after being here for 4 months and some of the tales I could tell would blow most peoples minds as far as fishing goes . But one word of warning up this way is that crocodiles are everywhere don’t underestimate them and it’s bloody windy up this way and I saw a number of blokes leave here with great expectations crushed but that’s another story . This place and any where up here at the moment needs to be booked well ahead ,even lake field and Melville are being patrolled for permits big time at the moment . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    what have we become, crying to the Govt when things don't go perfectly for you? BooHoo, suck it up & do something about it instead of wanting someone else to fix it for you.

Not sure what your are insinuating there Fed, Will have to clarify it for me ?.

It is less Govt control people in this situation find themselves wanting not more ?. There not interested in hiding under a doona, Benefiting from either Govt Jobseeker or keeper.
    Sorry Steeler I should have said crying to the press or anyone else that would listen in the hope of influencing the Govt to stop the border lockdown.