Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Qld covid border closures

Re: Qld covid border closures

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    So what's this got to do with general fishing ???? absolutly nothing .
    I know many concerns stated here are valid but it seems admin has slipped up on this one, 105 posts, wait now 106, should have been relegated to the The Bilge section a long time ago.

Steeler,

I sit on the fence with this one. WA should certainly open up to SA/NT/TAS immediately as they have effectively achieved elimination like WA. QLD won’t be far behind I think.

But WA is effectively open for business internally. While NSW and down the track VIC , could be said to be using the right strategy with the hot spot lock downs. NSW is using a strategy the keeps themselves economically open while keeping the virus at manageable levels. But that’s not elimination. It still leaves the door open for the virus to get from NSW into WA. I don’t think WA residents should be put into a position where it’s possible that they find themselves where NSW is now because NSW wants to take a different strategy.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I don't see what the big deal is with borders being closed, why do people have this compelling need to go to (say) QLD? People stay in your own state for a while, big deal....I know tourism suffers, but, NSW people go caravanning and spend your money here, QLD do the same, Victoria, stay home, look around, you might be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is with borders being closed, why do people have this compelling need to go to (say) QLD? People stay in your own state for a while, big deal....I know tourism suffers, but, NSW people go caravanning and spend your money here, QLD do the same, Victoria, stay home, look around, you might be surprised.

Seriously Noel, This is not about grey nomads and people scooting around on mopeds.

Elimination was never the purpose when we shut up shop it was the opportunity to prepare, We have achieved that in spades and learnt plenty from Vic and NSW screw ups.

This its all about tourism is just BS utter garbage.

Tell a FIFO worker or similar who have not seen there kids in some cases since Feb/Mar its no big deal. Am sure they will appreciate your no big deal sentiment defence for not seeing there 7 and 3 yr old children in 6-7 months.

We are a federation and about time we started acting like one.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

I don't see an issue with border closers either, it's getting a handle on all things Covid.
    Queensland want's SA to open, as they know that SA's travel, but most north of them don't use SA as a holiday destination.
    It's been near 18 months since we last holidayed, we were suppose to be in New York now, as we speak, pretty frustrating. But the worst part of the border closures, is our God daughters wedding, cancelled in March, re scheduled for December 2nd in Kiama NSW and it looks like the borders may still be closed by then. It will be devastating to miss that, we even had to convince her not to cancel and to go thru with it, when she realised we may not make it.
    I figure we are almost there, opening things up now could be disasterous, look at the rest of the world at the minute.
    Hopefully Victoria's internal borders will be open by then, if they are, come December 2nd, we will do 2-3 weeks country Victoria.
    Don't leave home till you see your own country, an old sales slogan from the 80's.......

BUT, I do see things being lifted/eased very soon, we have come a long way...

Col

If you happen to make it to Kiama give me a call, I am only 10mins from there.

If you happen to make it to Kiama give me a call, I am only 10mins from there.
    Ahh. Ok..
    We travelled up there looking for retirement options a couple of years back, south of there was just too quiet/small, so we then headed north of Sydney the following year, absolutely loved Port Macquarie.... Didn't spend to much time around Kiama, as it was near the end of our driving holiday.
    Our God daughter is getting married in Kiama, as her now retired Grandfather has a farm on the outskirts, which the family has had for 50 odd years.
    In March, We had already booked an apartment, over looking the marina there and had arranged to head out on one of the charter boats for a day before the wedding. The charter operator, didn't close down due to Covid, he was telling me the engines on his boat were effected by the smoke from the fires.
    I was So looking forward , not only to the wedding, but spending some time around that area Noel, from what I remember as we quickly passed thru, I knew we had to spend some time around that area.
    If it goes ahead, and the borders open for us, that would be great to catch up for a coffee or the likes Noel...
    For her sake, I hope it does, she lost her father 3-4 years back, So I was suppose to give her away....

Col

Steeler, I don't count grey nomads as tourists, a "proper" tourist spends money on hotels, theme parks and going out, grey nomads know every free camp site in the entire country. I know they might spend some cash on fuel and some odd cheap food, but that just about covers it (in my opinion) my point with the border closures is that tourism as such doesn't need to perish, all "we" have to do is see our own backyard for a while.

Steeler, I don't count grey nomads as tourists, a "proper" tourist spends money on hotels, theme parks and going out, grey nomads know every free camp site in the entire country. I know they might spend some cash on fuel and some odd cheap food, but that just about covers it (in my opinion) my point with the border closures is that tourism as such doesn't need to perish, all "we" have to do is see our own backyard for a while.
    What about the torn apart families ????.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Yep, I said way back there is always exceptions, and these have to be dealt with as they arise, but, so far, closed borders seem to be working, it's not ideal, but it's what we have right now.

It's obvious you don't know a great deal about Grey Nomads. Research it a bit Noel . Australia wide. Sales and repairs of caravans, late model vehicles to be able to tow heavier vans, fuel, diesel and petrol, groceries, lots of meals at pubs and clubs in small towns. Yes, some pull into rest areas. Most use Rec sports grounds and showgrounds and pay. I could go on but it ain't worth it.

Imo a tourist is someone from overseas that cant drive for crap the rest just congest our public services like trains and busses

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Surely FIFO workers can "go home" via a quarantine lockup Steeler?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Imo a tourist is someone from overseas that cant drive for crap the rest just congest our public services like trains and busses

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    That’s racist if I’ve ever heard racism. I can assure you some of the worst drivers I’ve ever encountered hold Australian licences

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    It's obvious you don't know a great deal about Grey Nomads. Research it a bit Noel . Australia wide. Sales and repairs of caravans, late model vehicles to be able to tow heavier vans, fuel, diesel and petrol, groceries, lots of meals at pubs and clubs in small towns. Yes, some pull into rest areas. Most use Rec sports grounds and showgrounds and pay. I could go on but it ain't worth it.
    I know plenty about grey nomads, my point was, people can caravan in their own state, see what you have got, it's not going to be forever, grey nomads are an entirely different kettle of fish to a family going on holidays to (say) the Gold Coast that stay in a hotel, eat out every day, go to theme parks and do tourist type activities everyday.