Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Qld covid border closures

Re: Qld covid border closures

Still wandering off track, it all goes back to what I said earlier, it's all cost driven, not service driven, back in the "old days" the PMG/Telecom/Telstra had thousands on employees, major infrastructure like we are talking about just "got done" they had equipment and manpower (jobs) and it got built, all that has been sold off in the name of profit, private enterprise wants profit for investors, not a service to the general public. Silly nodes scattered around is just band aids on open heart surgery, way back in 1998 (I think) I was involved in a fibre network upgrade/trial, we did a fibre to the desk, a fibre to a node, a microwave failover and a mixture of the existing copper setup, fibre to the desk (house in the big picture) was a clear winner by a country mile, but, it was expensive and very time consuming doing an existing building, a new building was easy, kind of like how a new housing estate would be easy, but to replace the old copper would be/is a nightmare, and that directly relates to cost.

Has the QLD Govt closed the border to the NBN ?.

Did that come up as one of the wishes of the QLD people when they were polled using QLD taxpayers dosh.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

I heard on the news that we (NSW) had no new cases for 3 days straight now, however, warm weather is predicted from Thursday-Monday, so just guessing, the beaches will be packed like they were a month or so ago when we had that hot day! It seems "measures" are being put in place to control numbers. The border closures appear to be working, QLD is going OK, even Victoria has lower new case numbers, it's hurt a lot of people, but that's the price we have to pay, let's hope it's a close end to this insidious shit.

The end?
    This is just the beginning.

Nah, I think (hope) we have a handle on it now, it won't go away, but I think we can keep a lid on it.

I guess we did get a bit off track. Sorry.

Happy to take the techo conversation up somewhere else if anybody wants though.

Confidently wrong stuff like this causes a lot of confusion But the tested speeds are massive compared to the stuff they are talking about with FTTP....absolute rubbish.

Never mind about Qld's border. Anastasia saved us again. She's done a lot of that over the last few years (just ask her).

Be sure not too ask her about people her Govt provide taxpayers money to. She can't recall them even though she has met them on numerous occasions and has a family member on the books.

She taking QLDers for suckers

Pretty sad the lengths her Govt have gone to so they have there best chance of re election. They have really exposed themselves to the rest of Aust as to the type of human beings ( loose description ) they really are.

I had cable back in the old day i think i first got cable internet installed around 2002-2003 the telstra guy came out and had to test my connection he mentioned i had one of the best cable connections he had seen i moved out in 2009

Took my connection to the new house where i had it another 10 years but it was no where near as good

I gave up cable internet 5 months ago in favour of phone internet which is incredibly slow but i aint paying $100 a month

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

I haven't really ever had much to do with Queensland/NSW state politics. But it seems to me, now that they are showing alot of this on the foxtel Covid channel, which i switch onto for any updates, but there's more state political crap on it, rather than Covid. One thing is quite alarming, they are seriously in Election mode .... You know what, I believe that during these times, should a state election come into play, I reckon the election should be totally posponed till the emergency at hand is dealt with or they have a really good handle on it. I would have sworn This bloke on today, was going word for word what Scomo has been saying for months now, his catch cry, that creating jobs will pull us through this current economic climate,,,, Then the script said this was the Labour Jobs minister from Queensland, he repeated the catch cry, over and over, he was in true election mode and yet they were asking him about Covid related safety measures !!! I couldn't watch it..... LOL
    Put the elections off until this Covid shite is done with or under control, I Say...

Col

Quote Originally Posted by Ronje1
    NONE of the wireless technology can compete with a straight cable connection. None. No transmission or signal path variations in a cable

trying to dig all the way into your long mansplaining posts will take weeks. But explain this one?

when all of this was being floated 1GB/s was the possibility for FTTP. That’s pretty much 10 times what the average home user will need before 2030. We are being told 5G has speeds of up to 10GB/s. That’s 10 times that of FTTP. Sure we can go bigger fibre cables to infinity or separate cables from the node to each premises to increase fibre speeds but that’s not what Labor was proposing and is not realistic cost wise.

From what I understand of 5G is that there will need to be millions of antennas to transmit the signals. Mostly line of sight between them. Microwave links etc to transfer the data/signal to each end user. Without those the power required to achieve the same distances would be unsafe.

You add the same density of current tech 4G mobile phone towers per Sq/km to hilly/wooded areas as you get in Sydney or Melbourne then you’re going to get good signal.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronje1 View Post
    Lovey,
    You get heaps of reflections (not some). That's why its successful in CBD areas. The main effect of reflections is the 180 degree phase change that accompanies it. Signal polarisation change also occurs. Both can cause problems to a stationary mobile phone user. Move the phone a bit (like take a step) and the relationships between reflected signals changes. Ditto with the relationships between reflected signals and any direct signal changes. The signal "comes good".

In regional areas and suburbs you dont have the tall hard surfaces from which reflections can occur. Mostly you have straight out attenuation problems due to hilly ground and foliage.

And the effects of both are greater as you go higher in frequency. 24 - 30 ghz freqs in the mm 5G band are more affected than the 6 ghz portion of the band.

If you are looking for increased bandwidth to allow higher data exchange rates, then you need high signal strengths AND you won't find those higher signal strengths in leafy, hilly suburbs or regional areas if you are trying to push SHF frequencies around the place to provide service. SHF frequencies (Super High Frequencies) are those whose wavelengths are measured in cm. Yet the industry "jargon" refers to mm.

And that's where the FTTN exists. Not in CBD or well served inner city suburbs of major cities.

Installing any sort of wireless network from the node is every bit as poor a decision as using the copper cables to the premises (FTTN) decision in the first place.

NONE of the wireless technology can compete with a straight cable connection. None. No transmission or signal path variations in a cable.

Basically a fibre-optic cable is bandwidth capable from " dc to daylight".

In addition the attenuation loss is predictable and therefore easily surmountable to allow sufficient signal strengths at the premises for true wide bandwidth and high data speed exchange operation.

Why on earth would anybody swap a 2nd best distribution system (fibre to the node) with another 2nd best distribution system ( wireless)? Same operational problems but from different causes.

Industry will install wireless technology in FTTN areas hoping to make a profit? In the words of Darryl from The Castle " Tell 'im .... ...............".

I'm happy with what I've got (FTTN) providing that we don't have the continuing congestion problems associated with employees operating business computer activities from their homes like we've been experiencing with covid.

I see that Scott Morrison and Friedenberg are now talking about incentives for businesses to get their employees back to their offices to assist other CBD businesses recover. Get 'em back out of the suburbs.

If an upgrade to fibre-optic to the premises cable is contemplated to create jobs for the recovery, I don't have a problem with that.

At least at the end of the day and the expenditure of a lot of money, Aus will have something to show for it.

Spend our way out of a recession? You betcha.
    Thanks Rinje1 for this info. I was always of the opinion that wireless was the ants pants.

It’s nice to learn something new every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

The WA Premier certainly made Annastacia Stayaway look like a warm blooded being with an actual beating heart inside.

Any federal ALP figure who does not come out and condemn his comments today are not worthy of a vote and there place in the federal parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    The WA Premier certainly made Annastacia Stayaway look like a warm blooded being with an actual beating heart inside.

Any federal ALP figure who does not come out and condemn his comments today are not worthy of a vote and there place in the federal parliament.
    which comments in particular? The 28 days of zero community transmission?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    which comments in particular? The 28 days of zero community transmission?
    https://www.kiamaindependent.com.au/story/6950499/palmer-cci-slam-mcgowans-wa-border-call/

But Mr McGowan says there is no point in pursuing a travel bubble.

"There is no benefit," he said on Thursday.

"All we'll do is lose jobs were we to open to those (jurisdictions).

"The other states want us to open the border so that West Australian tourists will flood east, not so that people from the east will come here.

"They're only saying all this for very self-interested reasons because we have higher incomes, we have people that are more used to travelling and therefore we'll have more tourists go from Western Australia to the east."

The comments have frustrated industry groups, which have called on the McGowan government to provide certainty on the easing of border restrictions.

"The West Australian business community expects that decisions regarding the removal of border restrictions will be made solely on health advice, not on the basis of economic protectionism," Chamber of Commerce and Industry WA chief executive Chris Rodwell said.

Pathetic individual that every sensibly minded ALP pollie should be disowning.

So what's this got to do with general fishing ???? absolutly nothing .