Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer security

Re: Trailer security

Quote Originally Posted by terryc View Post
    Don't just rely on the Bow eye, I had one break when winding in on my Whittley the threaded part had rusted out inside the hull where it couldn't be seen.
    Why would Whittley skimp by not using 316 stainless??
    Beyond my comprehension such an expensive boat would be so damn grubby and cheap.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by terryc View Post
    Don't just rely on the Bow eye, I had one break when winding in on my Whittley the threaded part had rusted out inside the hull where it couldn't be seen.
    You need to be able to rely on your bow eye though - it's your primary tow point if your engine fails at sea. Inspect and maintain it accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Why would Whittley skimp by not using 316 stainless??
    Beyond my comprehension such an expensive boat would be so damn grubby and cheap.
    316 isn't impervious to rust or crevice corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    316 isn't impervious to rust or crevice corrosion.
    Your correct scottar. Had plenty 316 bolts with corrosion over the years. Wet timber and a 316 bolt get the corrosion under way pretty well. Does take time but the corrosion always wins in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Your correct scottar. Had plenty 316 bolts with corrosion over the years. Wet timber and a 316 bolt get the corrosion under way pretty well. Does take time but the corrosion always wins in the end.
    And especially where the backing block in the anchor well is timber. It takes bugger all for water ingress. When trying to locate a leak I found that the eyebolt had corroded enough to allow ingress through to inside and the into the timber (glassed over) floor of the anchor well. Also became a weak towing point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    You need to be able to rely on your bow eye though - it's your primary tow point if your engine fails at sea. Inspect and maintain it accordingly.
    There are other options like towing side by side but i doubt anyone really does it like maritime or water police for security reasons

I guess there would be two one off's out there that would try tow a boat backwards lol we are all humans after all

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    What bounce?
    If something is bouncing then it's not set up properly.
    Hit ruts , potholes etc & there probably will be some up & down movement - particularly at the bow

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

It shouldn't happen Nagg, not if the bow eye is secure to the bow roller.

I tow my tinny a long distance about twice a year and on one trip I had the pin from the main boat winch on the trailer post break and this caused the winch to be in free wheel, luckily the safety chain and tie down straps held the boat but it was a pain trying to find a pin to replace the broken one so I could use the boat. I always carry a few high tensile pins with me now. I may have had the winch rope too loose , I can't remember but I don't rely on the boat trailer winch to be the sole front tie down.

Winches are not approved for load restraint that's why the safety chain is there to get around the legal technicality.

For ease of launching I always have my stern to bow rope attached and excess line is wrapped around the winch post. In the rare event the bow eye fails then the rope would hold. My ramp is only 5km away max speed 60kmh. For high speed or long distance I would use turn buckle and stern tie down straps as well

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    It shouldn't happen Nagg, not if the bow eye is secure to the bow roller.
    Shouldn't Vs reality

It does happen ……

Same as brake callipers can vibrate off - winch cable break , U bolts snap etc etc etc ……. tow a boat long enough over inland highway roads & you get the odd surprise or two (dozen)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO