Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer security

Trailer security

Hi guys
    looking at options on how to secure my boats bow to the trailer for travelling apart from the small chain from the winch post to bow eye that already exists. Looking to minimise boat movement forward or backwards

Re: Trailer security

Lots of things can be done, some do more damage than it's worth, turnbuckles, chain both ways, transom tie downs plus an "over the top" tiedown, take your pick.

Winch cable and a properly positioned bow roller will take care of backwards and forwards, up and down and left to right unless the boat is something odd.

Be careful you allow the trailer to flex whilst towing.
    Make it too rigid and the trailer will fail.
    A trailer is simply a transportation cradle.
    Jack.

On mine I have a chain to the bow hook and a ratchet strap over the front and also on the back, and that works for me, if you do the same, make sure you don't tighten the ratchets too much, it is only to hold it down lightly.

I have a chain from the winchpost to the eye then back to the trailer. As this has a turnbuckle I have another to stop the turnbuckle loosening on long journeys. I run 2 ratchet straps from the tow points on the back to the trailer, on a long trip though I will run just a larger strap across the gunwhales at yhe rear. With ratchet straps you do need to be aware that they operate (some don't) on a cam principle and the lever needs to be hard down, use remaining strap to ensure it stays that way, just look at the highway and see how many straps you see.
    Regardless on long trips check your straps, I will do it every hour and half or so. Amazing how they can loosen.

On retrieval just winch it up so winch post stopper is firmly against the bow then when the boat is on level ground check bow again by pushing up as Usually takes a little more winch tightening

Three points of contact are all that's needed - two transom straps and a turnbuckle or similar (not the winch) engaged with the bow eye. Don't skimp on the quality of the straps or turnbuckle and use the lockoff nuts, plus check they're still secure at reasonable intervals (for me: down the street; just out of town; fuel stops thereafter). Also don't reef them too hard when tightening - well snugged is fine.

Strap the hull down tight amidships as well and you risk damage due to it being stressed by trailer flex.

Anything tighter than removing the restraint slack is going to bend something somewhere and there's no need for it.

I do a lot of long distance towing of my boat & it didn't take too long to realise that you need to secure the front of the boat along with the rear

Chain & turnbuckles can be problematic as they can loosen easily - the best result for me has come from a ratchet strap (tight but not overly) the strap has a little give but stops that bounce that can lead to broken winch posts.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

What bounce?
    If something is bouncing then it's not set up properly.

As fed said nothing should bounce
    Even my 420 renegade is 400odd kg hull and fit out and it if 400kg is bouncing somethings wrong

too stiff a spring setup or aftermarket wheels with low profile tyres
    the trailer suspension should be absorbing any bounce and not transferring it to the hull

I agree shouldn’t be any bouncing unless the winch strap is too loose

Is it boat bounce or trailer flex???
    Jack.

Don't just rely on the Bow eye, I had one break when winding in on my Whittley the threaded part had rusted out inside the hull where it couldn't be seen.