Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience Needed. Trouble with 2004 Haines Signature 770C Hardtop Cruiser

Experience Needed. Trouble with 2004 Haines Signature 770C Hardtop Cruiser

Hi Guys,

Really need some help here.

Bought a new boat recently and unfortunately I'm having stability issues Im struggling to iron out.

Im hoping someone on here has experience with this boat/ hull and can give me a few tips on how they worked it.

What's happening is when under way the boat at certain times will start leaning over, and then it will keep going
    and end up on quite a steep angle. It feels like it might roll. I literally end up pulling it back to neutral throwing everyone forward.

Now I've played with the trim tabs quite a bit and it seems to make it worse when it starts to go. The tabs work fine when
    travelling straight ahead, but then you turn a bit and it feels like it going to roll.

It's left me nervous driving the whole time. Any help please would be great.

Ive had dozens of different boats and never had this issue before.

*** NOTE: One thing I suspect might be adding to the problem is that it has trim tabs with really large down facing wings at both ends.
    I havent seen this on any other boat. It is normal for this model when I check photos online. Im thinking of grinding of the vertical sections off to see if this helps.

Photos below.

IMG_2335.jpgIMG_2380.jpg

Re: Experience Needed. Trouble with 2004 Haines Signature 770C Hardtop Cruiser

It might be the go to ring Haines and have a talk to them.

I have wings on my Bennett Sports tabs. I doubt that is the problem. Do you trim the sterndrive leg out, until the prop nearly cavitates, once you pop onto the plane? If not, that could be the problem.

Hi,

No quite the opposite. Ive got the leg trimmed almost completely down. Im worried that if I trim it up might make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by leeroybee View Post
    What's happening is when under way the boat at certain times will start leaning over, and then it will keep going and end up on quite a steep angle. It feels like it might roll.

Now I've played with the trim tabs quite a bit and it seems to make it worse when it starts to go. The tabs work fine when
    travelling straight ahead, but then you turn a bit and it feels like it going to roll.

Ive got the leg trimmed almost completely down. Im worried that if I trim it up might make it worse.
    No experience with sterndrives but I reckon your problem is in that last sentence - trimming right down pushes the bow down and the stern up, resulting in conditions approaching those of broaching in a following sea (losing steerage due to stern up; deep bow acting as keel).

I'd take it out with minimal crew in calm conditions and experiment with trimming up until either you start to porpoise or the prop cavitates, then back it off a tad. See if she behaves at speed under those conditions. Note any differences between head, beam and following sea conditions.

If it goes well, trial it again in conditions that you've been having issues with. If it doesn't resolve the problem, you'll at least have more data about how sea state and orientation to the wave affects it.

Is it possible you have a large amount of water trapped in a part of the bilge? On a hull that size it may be difficult to detect early on but when you lean the water could be moving to one side making it it worse?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Its interesting you say that because the boat holds 500 litres of fuel and 200 litres of water. It lives out of the water so I dont think thats the problem with bilge, but this would be the same with the tanks wouldnt it ?

Its interesting you say that because the boat holds 500 litres of fuel and 200 litres of water. It lives out of the water so I dont think thats the problem with bilge, but this would be the same with the tanks wouldnt it ?
    empty the boat
    empty the water
    empty the fuel
    put 40 ltrs in go for a run

if your porblem is still there it isnt water or fuel load if it gone then it is

add water but no extra fuel and test
    empty water and add fuel and test
    add water and fuel and test

BigE

Make sure your trim tabs are actually operating correctly and not having issues with switches operating erratically. They are usually pretty good installs (Bennetts) but I would certainly try and eliminate the obvious.I had a similar thing with some Volvo QL tabs on a previous boat and it would deploy one tab fully of its own accord. Would have been good to run it over a weighbridge as well when on the trailer and get the weights from Haines to make sure you haven't got an issue with the hull being filled with water in "sealed" compartments.Not sure on the hull construction for that model but probably the same as other Sigs with the liner etc.

Check your tabs - you are aware that typically operating the port side switch runs the starboard side tab. Trimming right in and under is also going to most likely a big part of your issue

Just out of interest, does it always go the same way when it "tips"?

SeaRash on here has had the same issues with the same boat a long time ago. He'll see the thread eventually i suppose. It was a while ago but I recall trim was critical (definitely don't leave any boat this size trimmed all the way in for normal running - while it is out of the water trim the leg to run the anti vent plate in line with the hull then have a look at what position the trim gauge is at), as was getting the hull to a speed where it can work - ie 23 mph plus and then only lightly fixing any lean with the tabs.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

[QUOTE=scottar;1671943]Check your tabs - you are aware that typically operating the port side switch runs the starboard side tab. /QUOTE]

The switch on the right operates the tab on the left ?? Why do they set them up like that ?

Hi,

No quite the opposite. Ive got the leg trimmed almost completely down. Im worried that if I trim it up might make it worse.
    Motor trim sounds problem to me.

Years ago my brother-in-law bought a boat similar size to your. I went with him for its maiden voyage, as BIL had never owned boat before. When he got going he eventually gave it a bit and I thought it was about to roll over.

After chatting with him I worked out leg was trimmed right in. He didn’t know you had to do anything else.

We played with trim and it worked perfectly.

Good Luck

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

What do Haines think the problem is?