Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience Needed. Trouble with 2004 Haines Signature 770C Hardtop Cruiser

Re: Experience Needed. Trouble with 2004 Haines Signature 770C Hardtop Cruiser

The switch on the right operates the tab on the left ?? Why do they set them up like that ?
    They are catering to people who don't know how they work.

[QUOTE=gunna;1671981]
    Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Check your tabs - you are aware that typically operating the port side switch runs the starboard side tab. /QUOTE]

The switch on the right operates the tab on the left ?? Why do they set them up like that ?
    Because it is the RHS trim tab that effects the LHS bow attitude and vice versus. I know of 2 boats that have it set up inversely because they can't get their heads around it (brothers) so Scottars thoughts may not be that far off and worth a check. My own brother was shown by the dealer to trim the motor out to 4 stops on the gauge when he bought it, I could never figure out why he looked so closely at his gauges once he was under way, after a couple of runs I suggested a bit more trim out and the boat would ride better, then he told me and the penny dropped. I asked him to trim it out and once he did the revs, speed and attitude all improved. Some bloody dealers.

Noelm asks the question I was going to ask, and as Lovely80 mentions my Allison due to design flaw had a similar issue, now resolved, with water getting into semi sealed compartments, I spent a long time figuring it out.

Big E suggestion will give you and idea of where to start, don't start grinding or cutting anything until you are certain what the problem is.

Thanks Guys for all the tips.

I havent rang Haines yet as Im not buying anything off them and its a few years old I thought they probably wouldnt be interested in helping. I could be wrong.

The owner had mentioned to me about having the leg trimmed in too far when I'd asked him previously, so we might be on to something.

When I head out this weekend Ill certainly be giving that a go first.

Because I believed it was the trim tabs causing the issue I was trying not to use them and trimming the motor right down to bring the nose down. This might have been causing the issue as mentioned. I found an article online from when the boat was first tested new. It mentions the boat is not for novices and requires constant work on the tabs.

As its a PDF article I cant seem to post it on here for anyone interested.

Not sure about the water in hull. This is what the article says the hull is made of "This is one of the more recentmodels from the Signature range with
    the so-called "Nexus" construction
    technique. This consists of pouring
    foam into just about every nook and
    cranny that isn't used under the boat's
    cockpit sole and inner cabin liner to
    create an amazingly strong, watertight
    and dare I say it "bullet proof" hull
    construction technique.
    It literally forms a bond between all
    the components, so that construction of
    the boat becomes one taut, massive
    grid-like structure - and the best part is
    that it actually weighs less than if
    they'd used the old style timber
    bearers.
    Thankfully, these have all gone today
    - the wooden stringers and bearers are
    not to be seen in boats like this,
    because of the advances in today’s
    boat building techniques.
    But the Nexus system does more

Still need to know if it always goes the same way, if it does, it kind of might indicate a hull problem (but not necessarily) if it goes either way, it might indicate user error.

Hi Noel, From memory my wife thinks its always to starboard. But im driving on starboard & the seating is mostly all on starboard. So the majority of the weight is on the right hand side.

I am unaware of the Nexus system but know and seen plenty of boats where the foam has been penetrated by water, a boat builder nearby drained 600 litres from the port side and 300 litres from the starboard side of a Kevlar Kat that had been foam filled.

When you do your test run do try when there is no breeze/wind as that will cause the boat to act like an airfoil and it will lean to the side with least pressure.
    Take notes of everything especially on weight distribution including water, fuel etc.

Remember only change one thing at a time otherwise you will end up being more confused.

some excellent comments there hopefully you have a win , tell me what to you pull that big cruiser with , she looks heavy have a weighbridge nearby to nut out extra weight added like water perhaps

I had the exact same problem with my cruise craft. My wife actually ended up falling from the front passenger seat onto me. Very scary. Trimming the nose up helped the issue but not the problem. Trim tabs fixed it. If you can think of the bow of your boat being on an angle and the force of the water pushing against it. The faster you go, the harder it pushes. Wether it be prop torque or just a badly balanced boat, trim tabs fixed mine.

Hi Guys, Really appreciate all the help on here and I think Ive nailed it down.

Turns out the advice on here was correct. I had the leg trimmed too far down causing the nose to bury itself and pull the boat over. Im still experimenting, but I kept the nose up on Saturday and had no problems whatsoever. It does need trim tab adjustments but thats all pretty familiar and standard to me and so far its now running perfectly.

Lee