Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question

From those that own boats akin to barcrusher n Forosa's with the water balast/intake back of the boat to make the boat steady at anchor/ rest . Doesthe Boat sit deeper in the water with this water within these chanles to stabelise the Boat and if so would it be by much??..
    Reason for the ask is i head into creeks at low water where there is hardly any water and use wee passages to get in and out at low water as well as Fish in shallow wtaer areas sometimes only a foot deep and often wandered how much these hull would draw extra ??..
    Say for example a 5.5mtr tinny ..

Re: Question

You need an Express 4.8, 5.0 or 5.2 that are not made in Aust anymore for that task.

Look at getting one of the Etamax lookalikes from up north.
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    From those that own boats akin to barcrusher n Forosa's with the water balast/intake back of the boat to make the boat steady at anchor/ rest . Doesthe Boat sit deeper in the water with this water within these chanles to stabelise the Boat and if so would it be by much??..
    Reason for the ask is i head into creeks at low water where there is hardly any water and use wee passages to get in and out at low water as well as Fish in shallow wtaer areas sometimes only a foot deep and often wandered how much these hull would draw extra ??..
    Say for example a 5.5mtr tinny ..
    With the Bar Crusher and Surtees you can lock the water out with a flap system (I think it might be optional with the BC).

Any forward movement will empty the ballast, even very low speed.

Volvo,
    On my BC the difference between stationary & up on the plane would be quite a bit. Never measured it but I'm guessing a good 150 mm or so. However in shallow water situations I have polished the motor skeg before hitting the botom with the boat at low speed. The water lockout flap (which I don't have ) is supposed to allow shallow water work . Sorry I don't have specific measurements.
    Frank

Up on the plane is going to be considerably higher than at rest, ballast system or not. The difference at rest is the amount of floatation that would be added if the ballast system was not in operation, it will have an effect, but not a lot I would think.

if the water is not captured in the ballast tube, and free to mix with the water your in, I can't see how it would weigh the boat down?

Volvo, only comparison i can offer is that my old rig was a 15 degree 6m centre console platey. Used to float in bugger all and was great for a skinny beach gutter work. We ran my mates 615 crusher (no flap) beside it for years and he went all the places i did and vise versa. My current 20 degree plate boat (no water balast) responds 35mm down at the transom to 100kg of weight being added on the motor bracket (at full max working load start point).
    Scott

The boat sits slightly lower when t rest - the water comes out pretty quickly once you start moving forward .

From memory it's something like 300lts of water in a 615 than can be held if you have the barflap .

To me it's a downside with running a ballast system in shallow water & have once missed the tide with the transom facing the beach (so the water sat in the hull) it was going nowhere fast.

Offshore it does a great job & adds to the stability. I bar flap is not a bad investment - keeping water in on those shitty offshore days or water out when in the shallows .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    if the water is not captured in the ballast tube, and free to mix with the water your in, I can't see how it would weigh the boat down?
    If the water wasn’t flowing in and out of the keel then that same area would be a large volume of air contributing to the overall flotation

My take on it after 7 years of use- Flap shut, flap open, it makes no differnce when the boat is at rest for height in the water. At speed (poor conditions) when the water is locked in the boat rides up over the waves with better stability because of the extra weight as the boat lifts up. At rest in flat conditions you can open and shut the flap all day and the boat sits at the same height. The one in the shed holds 200 lts of water when locked off.

cb

So what do people do crossing a bar, does the addition of water make a difference when you have to slow right down or stand still at times. Wondering as a neighbour has a BC but no flap.

Te second there is forward movement, the ballast empties, there has been isolated instances of boats going slow coming in and a wave overtakes the boat, water rushes up the tank causing a nose heavy moment, but, I have yet to experience that in my mates boat, there is a video floating around of something similar happening and rolling the boat, I think at Narooma, but, it's only second hand news how it happened.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought the “Bar Flap” was to stop the annoying “Plop, Plop, Plop” noise that came standard with Bar Crushers.....😂

Full disclosure..... previous owner of a 560c Bar Crusher with 300 plus hours experience on it.