Thread: Deep dropping Caloundra 15.06

Deep dropping Caloundra 15.06

Gday guys, just a quick report on yesterday’s trip. Forecast was a little off putting but I was keen for a trip. Weather was predicted to be 10 knots early becoming 15-20knots by mid morning. We were planning either a big day or overnighting. As I had to do school drop off, we didn’t get away until 8.30am.
    The tide was running out and the bar had a decent wave but no issues. We first headed south to try and get some bait but could not see any all all on the usual spots.
    We then headed east on a pretty flat sea with about 10 knots of SW. Plan was to hit the 200m country for as long as the wind allowed. Then fish the 60-100m area and finish on the 12 mile for the evening snapper bite.
    We hit the 200m at about 10.45am and sorted our gear and the drift line. First drift saw a couple of Eastern Nannygai. We sounded a bit more and came across the best show I have had out there. We drifted over it numerous times and had our 10 cod pretty quickly. It is now about 1.00pm and the wind is still only 10 knots. We came back into 100m for nil, then 65m for nil so we made our way to the 12 mile and got the at 4.00pm.
    Anchored up and got the berley going. Shortly after an undersized squire came in. I was thinking, good sign. Over the next 3 1/2 hours, we got 1 pearly, 1 snapper and a couple of Moses perch. The snapper bite just didn’t happen. At 7.30pm the wind was a good 15 knots and Seabreeze was showing Cape Moreton at 20 so I made the call to head in. We crossed the bar at 8.00pm and anchored in behind Bribie and had a refreshing ale.
    The cod fishing was great, the snapper was not.
    Best 2 cod were 15kg each, ranging between this and a couple of only about 3kg
    All fish were caught on Tanacom Bull 1000 including a couple of decent doubles.

Cheers
    Lee

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2390.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	121600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2396.jpg 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	121601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61389731219__DBEC80BB-9E71-40AE-82F7-46E9E22D0913.jpg 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	121602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2399.JPG 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	121603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2403.JPG 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	121605

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Deep dropping Caloundra 15.06

Nice fish well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Epic catch... I’m still chasing my first deep species..
    what size weight did you have use for 200m mate?
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

Occifer, mate we have only ever used 1.5kg weights. We seem to comfortably able to fish with these. Possibly because I only ever drift over the mark with a parachute and not do the reversing whilst fishing gig?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Occifer, mate we have only ever used 1.5kg weights. We seem to comfortably able to fish with these. Possibly because I only ever drift over the mark with a parachute and not do the reversing whilst fishing gig?

The reversing gig usually means you can get away with less weight.

BTW, I noticed your sounder screen is showing 11.4V. Either the battery it is connected to is a wee bit short on charge or you might want to check your connections. I think we need to discuss it over a pleasant beverage.

PS. I have nearly 7 crates for your daughters next project.

Thanks Sam, yeh a beer sounds good. I was running 2 electrics and the pie oven and that drops it down a fair bit. Once I turn them all off it bounces back ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Thanks Sam, yeh a beer sounds good. I was running 2 electrics and the pie oven and that drops it down a fair bit. Once I turn them all off it bounces back ok?

Yep, most deep droppers leave their motors idling all the time, generally straightening the boat so lines don't get crossed so power is not generally compromised. Talk more at our next gathering.