Thread: in hot water?Merc 150 four stroke

in hot water?Merc 150 four stroke

Spent the last 10 days or so puddling around Bass Strait ...Welshpool and Albert.....unbelievably calm days and sun shine..well sort of....and noticed a small change in the engine develop..After a run if you shut down the motor straight away, water fizzes and pops back out of the telltale for a minute or two with a little steam...running temps are normal on the gauges and it has never done this before.Is this anything to be concerned with?

Re: in hot water?Merc 150 four stroke

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    Spent the last 10 days or so puddling around Bass Strait ...Welshpool and Albert.....unbelievably calm days and sun shine..well sort of....and noticed a small change in the engine develop..After a run if you shut down the motor straight away, water fizzes and pops back out of the telltale for a minute or two with a little steam...running temps are normal on the gauges and it has never done this before.Is this anything to be concerned with?
    yes, a change in weather.
    It possible that maybe one of the water galleries has got a bit of blockage in them.

Did you find a cause, unfortunately CV19 seems to be the topic of the month on most forums and some posts get lost amongst them.

A work colleague has the same issue. What year is yours?

The motor is about 5 years old..2015 ish..will check when I get back to it......is the problem fixed? No....the engine is due for its annual service in August and the guys will look at it then...thing is I have used the salt away wash since new...so would be really dissappointed if this was a blocked gallery..at the moment I can control it by idling the engine after a run...but thats not the answer.

Not exactly sure about your description of "fizzes and pops" but it's normal for the tell tale to "dribble" after turning the engine off, the outlet is well below the engine and some water just drains out instead of running back down the leg, I guess it's possible "something" is sticking/corroded preventing a free flow after turning the motor off.

It's also possible the thermostat has corroded and due for replacement.

When you flush the engine do you use muffs on the lower leg or the hose flush connection on the side of the cowl ?

I’m following with interest both about the temperature issue and also the flush additive.

Personally I’ve only ever flushed the engine using the hose connector.
    Only ever used tap water, plenty of it.
    Mines new from 2016.
    It would be disappointing if it is a corrosion issue considering the cost and time you’ve taken with the salt remover.

Do you have access to one of those hand held IR temp guns - you could look for a hot spot with the cowl off ?
    Or even one of those IR cameras would be good - but I’m dreaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

always used the flush connection on the cowl and followed merc guidelines for time and pressure ,motor off...IR temp gun sounds like a place to go,but I am going to wait til after the mechs have had a look and see what they have to say...