Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deep drop start up

Re: Deep drop start up

Hey guys found this combo on the downrigger website , is this a good entry start set up.
    TANACOM 1000 ELECTRIC REEL COMBO

Downriggershop
    $1,350.00

• Daiwa Tanacom 1000 reel including cable and clamps
    • Stelco bent butt 5 feet six inch rod with restricted arc swivel tip
    • Prespooled with 800m 80-pound colour change braid
    • Sinker
    • Multi hook deep drop rig

just found this on ebay... Thoughts as seem fairly cheap for shimano

I use an Alvey Reefmaster,other people I know use the Tanacoms mounted to to the gunwales with custom made mounts that resemble the base of deck winches.

Quote Originally Posted by boatrower View Post
    Hey guys found this combo on the downrigger website , is this a good entry start set up.

Downriggershop
    $1,350.00

• Sinker

A fairly reasonable starting rig, certainly useful for around the 200 to 250m depths, anything deeper and they get can hot just bring the sinker back. You will need more rigs, lights, weights. Just don't push the retrieve button all the way down with a load on it as you will overload it and manual winding is not fun.
    Crimpers are around $50 and then you will need a variety of crimps, leader material, swivels etc.

Andrew has videos of using his outfits for blue-eye and gemfish at Browns Mountain off Sydney
    Either on his site or utube search

Downriggershop
    $1,350.00

• Sinker

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I use an Alvey Reefmaster,other people I know use the Tanacoms mounted to to the gunwales with custom made mounts that resemble the base of deck winches.

How do you find this works as opposed to electric reel and how much line does it hold

Hi Boatrower, yeh I also started with the reefmaster and then got a reefqueen also. I used these for a while and I mounted a 15-24kg rod off the top of the winch. These worked perfectly but just more exercise and plenty of sighs when the call “wind up boys, we missed the drift” was made.
    The work is worthwhile when you get the fish on but.
    I have caught 2 large cod at a time on the winches that I just don’t think the tanacoms would handle.
    I love the tanacoms, but not sure they would cope with 20kg plus fish, 2 up.
    The Alveys hold way more line than would ever be required in any depth. I put 1000m of 100lb on and you can hardly even see it on the spool.

Just be aware, once you start this deep fishing, it becomes addictive

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

When we first started off we used to "hand line" it was way quicker than rod and reel, we used about 6mm cord, easy on the hands and simple to pull up, if you got a snag, you could wrap it around a bollard and drive it off, then moved onto Alveys, which are very good, then electrics, we started with a reel called a "plays 900" because of the price, and it's still in use today, while a couple of others have fried and broken, it's a pretty good reel, got 80lb braid on it and has caught a lot of good fish.

How do you find this works as opposed to electric reel and how much line does it hold
    Any-Weather has covered it pretty well,I have 1800 metres of hundred pound Whiplash on mine that has a lot of backing to get the outside diameter to about an inch down from the lip......it's still hard work for the arms though for the first hundred metres with a fish on then it gets easier for the next hundred after that they float to the surface fast providing you have something that blows the swim bladder,nanies (southern) and blue eye are a dead weight all the way up as is winding in with nothing on.I know three people with Tanacoms two have had trouble,one was a relatively easy fix the other went back to Daiwa.

Boatrower, if it helps anymore, from the bit of testing i've done i figure my 2nd hand tanacoms (one is a bull model) on those couple of shimano dropper rods i have will work for entry level. I think it depends a bit what you want to do, my ambition was to open up some new water for me from that 120M mark where conventional becomes hard work out to about 350M, hopefully swinging up to about a 2kg sinker to get down, essentially open that first "drop off" as you head of the edge. I think they will be fine for this. If its 350+ out of the shelf stuff with 3kg+ of weight your keen to chase i'd go straight for the serious stuff (Mia 8/9000's) but they are expensive. A couple of 10kg fish and a 4kg sinker in 500m is probably a bit over my gears pay grade i recon from the research i did and given i have the outfits now i think thats about right.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    Boatrower, if it helps anymore, from the bit of testing i've done i figure my 2nd hand tanacoms (one is a bull model) on those couple of shimano dropper rods i have will work for entry level. I think it depends a bit what you want to do, my ambition was to open up some new water for me from that 120M mark where conventional becomes hard work out to about 350M, hopefully swinging up to about a 2kg sinker to get down, essentially open that first "drop off" as you head of the edge. I think they will be fine for this. If its 350+ out of the shelf stuff with 3kg+ of weight your keen to chase i'd go straight for the serious stuff (Mia 8/9000's) but they are expensive. A couple of 10kg fish and a 4kg sinker in 500m is probably a bit over my gears pay grade i recon from the research i did and given i have the outfits now i think thats about right.
    Scott
    That pretty well covers it, I've seen outfits that cost up to $5k each working pretty hard in 300m with 4 kg of lead and a few bar cod of 30 kg on the end.

Attachment 121619$720 from Japan is it worth it?

Just seen one of those big Alvey 's, an 18 inch puppy for sale on one of the FB pages, guy wants $700 notes for it.
    I know there not made anymore, may get harder to find......

Col

Attachment 121619$720 from Japan is it worth it?
    Sorry, no can see but sounds like a refurbed or 2nd hand at that price..

Have a 24v electric reel and deep drop rod sitting in the shed colleting dust .... big mutha has a Km of 200lbs braid on it,
    it's a FUKABA 6/0 made by Olympic.

anyone used one of these before?

BigE