Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mangrove jack rod and reel preference

Mangrove jack rod and reel preference

Hi,
    Chasing some opinions on best/preferred rod/reel /line combo for targeting mangrove jack.

Very mixed info on the net.
    Will be fishing in a tinnie around mangroves.

Many thanks in advance 👍

Re: Mangrove jack rod and reel preference

Bait or lures?

I get most on my 2-4kg rods with 12 or 14lb braid and 14lb leader.
    Occasionally one falls to the 3-6kg rods with the same weight lines.
    Caught plenty on the 8lb braid as well.
    Jack.

When bait fishing the mangroves my go to outfit for jacks is an Abu 7000 with 30lb braid and 40lb leader on an ugly stick rod. There's no give and take with a jack. Just haul them on in.

Bait mate. Mullet strips or whole pillies

Cheers mate. Yep some say light gear and some say heavy. I've experienced it with light and you need a good drag they certainly don't mess about. Something has to give be it drag or lighter rod as I was pulling hooks pretty easy.
    It's a been a while on here I meant to be individualy replying to members!

Jacks tend to be more life and death on heavier lines.
    I have had little problem on light lines, but 20lb will see me struggle with the big boys fighting much more dirty.
    Most memorable was a 58cm jack wading the rocks at the mouth of Ningi Creek with 6lb braid and 8lb FC leader and a 50mm shallow diver chasing bream. Didn't have much trouble with that one.
    Jack.

I use a stiff graphite rod with calcutta 400b - 50lb braid and 55lb schneider leader. The places I fish don't have much room for error, and also can feature fingermark and barra, so I prefer to come prepared.

Have you had a look at the newly released Arrowz Rods??..Australian Built and good reviews apperantly..

Atomic Arrowz they are.

Yep, Atomic have a rod (and lure) for every fish.

No I haven't heard of them. Just googled them they look good and well priced 👍Throw a 3000 stradic on or the likes?
    As you can tell estuary isn't something I'm super familiar with. Mainly fished offshore.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Jacks tend to be more life and death on heavier lines.
    I have had little problem on light lines, but 20lb will see me struggle with the big boys fighting much more dirty.
    Most memorable was a 58cm jack wading the rocks at the mouth of Ningi Creek with 6lb braid and 8lb FC leader and a 50mm shallow diver chasing bream. Didn't have much trouble with that one.
    That's a huge jack mate 👍 7 ft rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean1 View Post
    That's a huge jack mate  7 ft rod?
    5'6" rod with a stradic fh1000.
    Jack.

Depends on where you are fishing and if you want to stop the big ones. If you are fishing in heavy structure then you need to gear up for it and turn that fish otherwise it’s all over. 5-10kg short rod with a minimum main line of 15-20kg braid. If you fishing around the mangroves with a mud or sand bottom with just a bit of structure where it’s a bit more open then you can lighten up a bit.