Thread: Very quick question on fuel consumption ...

Very quick question on fuel consumption ...

Hi there fellow Ausfishers. I'ts been a while since I've been active on the forum - life has sort of gotten in the way.

My son has bought himself a 3.99 Quintrex open runabout with a 20HP 2-stroke Johnno on the back.

He is wanting to know what sort of fuel burn he might expect, with two adults, mostly on the plane.

Anyone out there have a rough idea ??? We just don't want to carry, or transfer fuel on the water, we'd rather limit our day than risk spills etc.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated - thanks, Steve.

79024437_2591259937579666_8484662890580672512_o.jpg

Re: Very quick question on fuel consumption ...

Found the fuel consumption for a 25hp etec at 2.55gallons hour so id say the old Johnson would be around the same roughly.

That was a full revs 6000rpm half that on 4000rpm 1.3 gph

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzawookooka View Post
    We just don't want to carry, or transfer fuel on the water, we'd rather limit our day than risk spills etc.

You could always have a spare tank joined to the motor by a two way tap thereby eliminating the spill issue, select which tank you want to use by turning the tap to the appropriate tank.

I had a similar tinny with a old vintage 20hp johnson 1970's era i use to fill up a 22L tank and head out solo i would do trolling the downrigger i would be out on pittwater for 3 maybe 4 hours and make it back with a littlr bit of fuel

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    You could always have a spare tank joined to the motor by a two way tap thereby eliminating the spill issue, select which tank you want to use by turning the tap to the appropriate tank.
    If the tanks have the typical OMC style quick connect fittings, the amount of fuel lost during a disconnect / re connect is pretty much a non event. If you are quick enough it can be done on the run with a few quick pumps of the fuel bulb after re connection.

Carrying a spare tank is a habit I got into early in my boating career - it's a habit that has got me (or a mate) out of trouble a few times over the years.

Mate seriously, its your boat and only you will know, take spare fuel. We cannot tell you.
    If it is a 20hp johnno 2 stroke , you are probly running a 20 litre or so portable tank, If so, fill it up to fifteen litres, take two 10 litre extra tanks on board, run the mother fast and hard til you run out of fifteen litres, you have twenty left now to get home at cruise speed and work it out.
    5 litre on top of empty is a good call on this theory next trip when you fill her up.
    Muz

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzawookooka View Post
    Hi there fellow Ausfishers. I'ts been a while since I've been active on the forum - life has sort of gotten in the way.

My son has bought himself a 3.99 Quintrex open runabout with a 20HP 2-stroke Johnno on the back.

He is wanting to know what sort of fuel burn he might expect, with two adults, mostly on the plane.

Anyone out there have a rough idea ??? We just don't want to carry, or transfer fuel on the water, we'd rather limit our day than risk spills etc.

79024437_2591259937579666_8484662890580672512_o.jpg
    Fill it up and take it out on a normal days fishing. Note the places that you visit.

When you come back fill it up again and note how much you've used.

Go to google earth and measure the distance that you've travelled.

Divide the distance by the litres of fuel. = km/litres

That'll tell you how many km per litre the boat gives on a average day.

As a starting point for you, mine gives 3km/litre so I know what my burn rate (therefore max range) is before I go anywhere.

Scottar's 2 tanks with disconnects is the way to go.

There's an old rule of thumb about usage...

One Gallon Per Hour for every Ten Horsepower at fast cruise.

That would be for smaller US Gallons and engine rated HP on old tech 2 strokes.
    Pretty rough but there it is posted for novelty value nowdays.

Bazzawookooka: Get a plan sorted out?