Thread: Electric Trolling Motor - Advice

Electric Trolling Motor - Advice

Hi All

I am after an Electric troll motor for my boat but am after some advice as they seem so expensive!
    I have a 4.1m tin with 30hp 2 stroke and want a motor with anchor or spot-lock funtion. I have done a bit of research and there is a HUGE difference in price between one with spot-lock and one without.
    Obviously i'll only need a small one for my size boat and they seem to be around the $1,500 mark, but then you'll need a battery, mounting plate and fitting on top of that which would come to around $2,000 which is half what i paid for my boat altogether!

I know these things work so well with holding you on a spot but i'm trying to justify the cost. Has anyone heard of cheaper models out there apart from Minn Kota, Watersnake and Motorguide? Or would there be an option of a second hand one? I'm think of just bighting the bullet and getting one.

Thanks
    Undecided Angler.
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Re: Electric Trolling Motor - Advice

Mate I have had spot lock with jog function for a few years now...i can't see how I fished without it now. I'm a lure fisherman. The other fantastic thing is being able to run a line using the outboard and recording it using the electric remote control, then the electric runs it slowly and quietly using the stored route. Also cruise control and heading control is fantastic.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Mate I have had spot lock with jog function for a few years now...i can't see how I fished without it now. I'm a lure fisherman. The other fantastic thing is being able to run a line using the outboard and recording it using the electric remote control, then the electric runs it slowly and quietly using the stored route. Also cruise control and heading control is fantastic.

Cheers

I fully support ozscott's advice. I have had a Minn Kota riptide on my poly for the last 18 months and could not fish Brisbane river or inshore reefs without the benefit of spot lock, goto or follow route functions. The initial investment is somewhat daunting, but I think you will be happy in the end. I kept expenses down by buying a manual launch set-up with 120 AGM battery and fitted the electrics myself. Suggest a circuit breaker just to be safe when recharging battery. Cheers SS

Whatever you choose, make sure it will suit your next boat, which in most cases, will always be bigger!

Yep I wired and fitted mine. Keeps costs down. I used 20mm exterior ply with the black plastic top and bottom and soaked in Xtroll then bolted through the foredeck and gunwale angle alloy so it's solid as a brick. I also got manual deploy.

Mines a MK Riptide Terrova iPilot with Bluetooth Heading Sensor. Holds on a dime in wind etc and the jog feature is so useful.

Cheers

Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing