Thread: Balancing Weight in my Boat

Balancing Weight in my Boat

G'day All

I have a 4.1m tinny with a 30hp 2-stroke on it. I sometimes fish on my own and i noticed that with all the weight in the back (Fuel, Motor, Battery and my chunky 125kg backside) it sits fairly heavy in the rear and when i'm travelling along, it'll slightly bounce even in flat calm water and when i hit a small ripple, the steering is very light so itll try pull the boat.

My first thought is to either move the fuel tank and maybe battery to the front of the boat to at least balance it out, but then will it be front heavy when i go out with a mate or family? I normally only ever take 1 other person with me though. Or my other thought was having an under floor fuel tank, but thought it may be very costly.I am just a little concerned about moving the fuel tank up the front as it will then sit on top of my safety equipment hatch which in the event of an emergency, isn't very wise.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this at all?

Thanks heaps
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Re: Balancing Weight in my Boat

Decent size water bladder up front. Always handy having fresh water on board,

Put a decent little elec pump on it, can clean gear/self when needed or have it half/quart full, easy to have less to get balance right.

Moving weight is the best option, I kind of have the same problem at times, I sometimes take my grandkids out, and they want to sit with me, making it worse, especially since I have a "fuller figure" that's is....chubby! Power trim helps, but being a 30 2stroke, I guess no power trim?, I am going to move that battery and tank up the front anyway.

try adjusting your trim pin. I run a foil on my tinnie to assist with stern lift when running one up but optimum results are achieved by adjusting the trim pin depending on loading conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vromme View Post
    Decent size water bladder up front. Always handy having fresh water on board,

Put a decent little elec pump on it, can clean gear/self when needed or have it half/quart full, easy to have less to get balance right.
    Not a bad idea mate, I do have one also. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Moving weight is the best option, I kind of have the same problem at times, I sometimes take my grandkids out, and they want to sit with me, making it worse, especially since I have a "fuller figure" that's is....chubby! Power trim helps, but being a 30 2stroke, I guess no power trim?, I am going to move that battery and tank up the front anyway.
    Nah no power trim unfortunately. I’m going to spend some time this weekend and have a play around with weight.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    try adjusting your trim pin. I run a foil on my tinnie to assist with stern lift when running one up but optimum results are achieved by adjusting the trim pin depending on loading conditions.
    Yeah, I’ve been thinking about getting a foil for it too, that’ll certainly help. But the trim could be adjusted for solo fishing.

Hi I have recently bought a 4.2 aqua master with a 30hp 4st suzy I have the same prob with just myself on board, i fill 4x15ltr plastic buckets with sea water and put the lids on and sit them in the front. This fixes the problem. I just empty them when I get back to the ramp. cheers. I have power trim and tilt on the engine and this doesn't hold the front down as well as the buckets of water

Adding weight is not as good as moving weight, you are just adding load to a small boat unnessarily.

But what happens when you have a couple of passengers sitting with the permanent weight at the front, also the battery copping a constant pounding up the front is not a good idea either or crawling up there at the servo to fill with fuel when on your own.

Please yourself, nothings perfect, but moving weight is far better than just adding extra.

only 60kg water to balance it when on your own, your 2 grand kids prob weigh that ???