Thread: satellite phone

satellite phone

Hey guys,

Wanting to know which satellite phone everyone is using as looking to purchase 1 as mobile reception is a no go out there in the deep blue. radio reception is not reliable enough.
    cheers

Re: satellite phone

I have not got one but I think you might be able to hire them from 4x4 places as there expensive and the calls are too ,someone might know were to hire them or give it a google.

I think the inReach devices are becoming popular in NZ for remote work. My understanding is that you can Bluetooth your mobile to the inReach, which will then communicate via satellite.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...82D4FF99D.html

Maybe investigate a mobile that has an external antenna port and buy an antennae ...before my 100 dollar 15 year old Samsung flip phone stopped working I could make calls 60 kms out just holding a 3 ft antennae above my head..I have also been in boats 70-80kms offshore that with an antenna on the hardtop and newer tradie phone can easily make calls..gunna be a lot cheaper than a satphone if you can use your everyday mobile...

i have a pivotel plan- pay monthly access fee of $15 to stay connected. can text out on water at 50 c per text- dont even think about making a calll. handset linked to my i phone via app- cost circa 1 k plus... its awesome for live weather reports from mates stuck at home... no problems with reception on the east coast.

pivotel have a few decently priced sets, the key benifit is that you are issued an AUS Mobile phone number.. so... solong as the person calling you has free calls to aus mobile numbers... simply send the person a text message telling them to call you back... and there you go.. cost effective satelite
    Pivotel only has one satellite above Singapore.. so you do need to be able to see the northern sky to get decent signla

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Moose I thought Satelite phones got charged to receive calls also.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hey guys has anyone know anything about these aerials as in do they work.....https://www.strike.com.au/products/Antennas

They're mobile phone antennas (not satellite) and they all work to some degree or other. Are these for yr car or boat?

Be wary of anything that mounts on bull bar due to vibration crystallising solder joints. You also get "shadows" from the car body.

The through glass ones aren't bad as they mount higher on vehicle but they have limited gain.

depending on where you are travelling. cellular boosting systems are available in aus.
    We sell/Install celfi marine systems, which have been aproved to be sold/used in australia. they do need to be registered with telstra. and they can be remotely deactivated as such,
    they are not allowed to be on in some marinas/islands "hamilton island being the big one"

However when stationary they can boost signal 100db and when moving around 70DB. this does allow for considerably better phone coverage.

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au