Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki MFD gauges with older engines (2006)

Suzuki MFD gauges with older engines (2006)

Hi guys,

I have been trying to find an answer to whether or not I can upgrade my Suzuki gauges (2006) to the new MFD gauges that run off the engine data. Does anybody know if this can be done?

Re: Suzuki MFD gauges with older engines (2006)

If your engine is NMEA2000 compatible and you can get an interface to suit the older engines, I don't see why not but probably best to speak to a good Suzuki dealer.

No. Far too early.

They are NOT NMEA2000 gauges that use the interfaces as suggested by Scottar.

The new Suzuki SMG4 digital gauges that were released here in 2015 are compatible with 2015 and newer engines, and some AP model 2014 engines (larger hp fly by wire models).
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I know there is a series that link to the NMEA bus Moonlighter. Is that them but they simply don't use the bus for communication or is there a different type again. Not a Zuk man so never really bothered looking too hard.

The SMG4 is a newer type that directly connects to the engine harness of the engine it is monitoring much like old analogue gauges do. They also can directly connect to electric tank senders without a NMEA2000 converter.

You may be thinking of the NMEA2000 based gauges/displays that were used here in Aus prior to 2015 - Suzuki here used Garmin GMI-10 and GMI-20 engine data displays that connected to NMEA2000 network, and the engines also were connected to the network via a Suzuki Engine Interface cable.

In the USA they also used this Interface cable based approach since early 2000’s but instead of using the Gamin GMI’s, they used customised versions of the Lowrance LMF400/200 B&W gauges and later, of the full colour Simrad IS-35. Both these are rebranded as Suzuki. The LMF’s are called Suzuki SMIS gauges and the IS-35’s are called a Suzuki C-10. The C-10 is also a full colour 4” square gauge and it is sometimes confused with the SMG4 gauge due to physical similarity. But the SMG4 has rounded corners.

The problem with the Interface cable based system is that engines made earlier than 2008 are not supported by the currently available interface cables. You have to find used versions of early model interface cables to work with engines prior to 2008 models. And they are as rare as hens teeth. And expensive.

The USA has only in the last 12 months started using the new SMG4 gauges and they are OEM Suzuki colour displays. They dont use interface cables and can operate independently of any NMEA2000 network. Although, they can output the full range of engine data to NMEA2000 networks and it can then be displayed on most MFD screens too. They can receive GPS and depth data from a connected NMEA2000 network and use GPS data to display real time fuel economy. However it also seems that Suzuki USA are also continuing to supply and use the interface cable based system with the C-10 displays as well. 2 bob each way, at least for now. There are some things the C-10 does better than the SMG4’s so thats probably why.

So in short, the “new” SMG4 Suzuki OEM gauges released here in 2015 are a completely different kettle of fish to the previous digital gauge system that relied on interface cables and NMEA2000 networking.

link follows to the SMG4 display promo done in 2015
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks Moonlighter. Did a wiring tidy up on the weekend for a bloke and both were connected to the NMEA and had done an install of the electrical component for a new 200 a while back - also connected to NMEA2000 so most likely the Simrad Variant. I was aware of the older Garmin versions but nothing beyond that and knew there were compatibility issues with interfaces. Bit of a nightmare for owners and dealers alike with all the chopping and changing. The joys of modern engines and electronics I guess

Thanks moonlighter and scottar, that is the best information I have been able to get. Have been told twice by dealers that ‘soon’ but no other knowledge of how. Am upgrading full suite of old Raymarine gear shortly and wanted to do the gauges as well. Guess I need new engines to go with it 😂

For ages I have been pressing Suzuki and Lowrance (they make the interface cables for Suzuki) to re-engineer an earlier software version for the interface cables that will work for 2002-2010 engines. I have the idea that it could then be uploaded to one of the current model cables - I am reasonably sure that this could be done without all that much drama if the right people turned their minds to it.

Lots of people like James would jump at the chance to modernise their dash with digital gauges.

Equally, many, many owners of per 2008 engines already run digital gauges, and if their interface cables fail (and they do if they get water into the memory module) then they are stuck without working gauges. I see many people in the USA desperately searching for early model interface cables to replace their failed cables.

Version 2.30 interface software is the one that works best in my experience with early engines up to 2008. From 2008 to 2012, version 2.5.0 is a solid choice that also works every time.

Unfortunately they changed the software design and chipset with the current cables (back in about 2015) and you cant upload any of the early software to them. It just wont load. Many have tried.

I recently messaged Suzuki Australia again and they agree that its an issue, and have forwarded the request to Japan to hopefully get some action. They have apparently raised the issue several times with Japan HO but have had no success.

So if you get the chance give them another nudge. The more people that push the issue the greater the chance that someone in Japan will take notice.

Thanks Moonlighter. I for one would definitely upgrade if it was available. I am just about to upgrade a full Raymarine C120 system and it would be great to have all new electronics on the dash. Will just have to keep with the old ones for now by the looks.

Unfortunately the new engines/new OEM SMG4 gauges aren’t without glitches either - in some cases at least.

There are a few twin AP setups with around that are using more fuel than is being reported by the gauges, which can be a PITA when you have big tanks and rarely fill them. Just need to remember to keep adding 7% to your fuel log .

It seems to only affect AP’s, in twin setups. My 200’s and a mates 175’s chew ~7% more than is being reported, +/- a few tenths on average (after ~3000L of calibration checks, so pretty accurate). A set of 250’s are chewing more too, but by an unknown amount at present.

There are probably a lot more cases out there, but people haven’t noticed or checked calibration. Some twin AP’s are spot-on I have been told.

Suzuki are aware of the problem, but unsure of the cause at present (software/firmware/??). There was one possible fix going to be trialled, but unfortunately the Rona has hindered that process.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
    Unfortunately the new engines/new OEM SMG4 gauges aren’t without glitches either - in some cases at least.

There are a few twin AP setups with around that are using more fuel than is being reported by the gauges, which can be a PITA when you have big tanks and rarely fill them. Just need to remember to keep adding 7% to your fuel log .

It seems to only affect AP’s, in twin setups. My 200’s and a mates 175’s chew ~7% more than is being reported, +/- a few tenths on average (after ~3000L of calibration checks, so pretty accurate). A set of 250’s are chewing more too, but by an unknown amount at present.

There are probably a lot more cases out there, but people haven’t noticed or checked calibration. Some twin AP’s are spot-on I have been told.

Suzuki are aware of the problem, but unsure of the cause at present (software/firmware/??). There was one possible fix going to be trialled, but unfortunately the Rona has hindered that process.

I have found an approximate 9 litre underestimation error when refilling every 100 litres since switching to the new Suzuki multi function gauge. This discrepancy equates to a 9% error on a DFI150TG engine. The old Suzuki gauge was more accurate with fuel usage and the GMI 20 was spot on, however, the interface cable kept giving other problems so Suzuki upgraded to an MFG with new software. Fortunately, I have a 250L tank and rarely let the fuel level go below 150L to play it safe. SS

An intetesting dilemma. A mate has twin 250hp yammies and the port engine uses more fuel than the starboard engine. Is that the same with suzies?
    I have a 150 hp yammie and my gauges are adjustable in increments of 1%. Excuse my ignorance but is this feature not in the suzuki gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    An intetesting dilemma. A mate has twin 250hp yammies and the port engine uses more fuel than the starboard engine. Is that the same with suzies?
    I have a 150 hp yammie and my gauges are adjustable in increments of 1%. Excuse my ignorance but is this feature not in the suzuki gauges.
    Not the first time I have heard of counter rotator's using a bit more fuel. Don't know the reason why but it could explain the variation. Fuel burn via the engines ECU's isn't "metered" as such as far as I know. It's estimated off typical injection volume and RPM which for a given powerhead would be the same - regardless of what is actually happening. I'm not sure if throttle position is somehow factored in but if it isn't - that could be the variation - ie - more fuel to achieve the same RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    I have found an approximate 9 litre underestimation error when refilling every 100 litres since switching to the new Suzuki multi function gauge. This discrepancy equates to a 9% error on a DFI150TG engine. The old Suzuki gauge was more accurate with fuel usage and the GMI 20 was spot on, however, the interface cable kept giving other problems so Suzuki upgraded to an MFG with new software. Fortunately, I have a 250L tank and rarely let the fuel level go below 150L to play it safe. SS
    Not sure of your TG engine model but assume it’s not the AP (fbw) model Seastrength? Was the engine harness changed as well, or just the gauge?

Suzuki MFD gauges with older engines (2006)

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Yeah Sam, I could recalibrate my 2008 F250 gauges, but with the new Zuke SMG4 gauges this is not possible, nor is splitting the ‘fuel used’ between PT and STB, I can only get total fuel used ☹️. Can get L/hr both sides however.

Traditionally the PT (CR) side uses more on most occasions, probably because of the additional inefficiency running CR. However a slight difference in props can also cause it too. I run ~50rpm more on STB to get same L/h both sides, however haven’t had my props match tested yet either.