Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any market for quality vacuum infused pods?

Any market for quality vacuum infused pods?

Seen a guy on the boat group on fb post a 76mm laminate that he vacuum infused in one go without cracking

I thought about it for a minute making a high quality 2 piece pod mould and laminating it for vacuum infusion say 25mm thick for 150hp 45mm thick for up to 250hp

I reckon there would be a small market for pods like these

Maybe something i might do down the track... i have that freezer i have been painting my pod on it has a good pump in it i could use for the vacuum

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Any market for quality vacuum infused pods?

76 mm laminate in one hit without cooking the shit out of everything?

And no, there is no market for pods. Every glass bloke in business offers them. Look at gumtree. The majority are hack jobs with no clue about design. I'd venture to say that pod popularity is well and truly on the decline.

I can't believe pouring a 76mm laminate in 1 go didn't cause it to catch on fire. The heat build up in it would be massive. I've had 15mm of left over resin in a cup start smoking, needing water on it so it didn't burn..

Not sure how he done the laminate looked like a few square feet

Here it is fellas was actually 78mmAttachment 121502Attachment 121503Attachment 121504

I think there would be a tiny market, but not worth the effort if you only sold one or two pods, add to that everyone wants something different, and the possibility of some sort of implied safety/public liability insurance, add that to the already mentioned cheap stuff around, it's hard to compete with quality products on places like eBay because there is so much cheap shit advertised, eBay people see price only.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I think there would be a tiny market, but not worth the effort if you only sold one or two pods, add to that everyone wants something different, and the possibility of some sort of implied safety/public liability insurance, add that to the already mentioned cheap stuff around, it's hard to compete with quality products on places like eBay because there is so much cheap shit advertised, eBay people see price only.
    Yeah that is true Noel a lot of people do see cheap prices and go that option

In addition to what Noelm said, and I hate to rain on your idea but consider the following: There is quite a variation in engine heights and horsepower, transom angles and one size does not fit all boats, so after you fork out for the vacuum pump, fittings clamps, peel ply, plastic sheets and tape, most of which aren't reusable then make several professional looking and suitable molds for infusion molding, and you are about to start to make some to sell. You would then be wise to look at product indemnity insurance and advertising, also if you do produce some, you might get some grief from the council regarding building GRP products in a residential area where you live, which probably is a big no-no.The list goes on and on, and then everyone want this stuff for next to peanuts, are you going to recover your costs and time to actually make a profit?

Some boats aren't designed to have pods and may run like a dog if you fit one, and then the customer comes back to you and says his boat now handles very badly and your product doesn't work! Rather than making something structural maybe you should consider making something else like seats bases with live bait tanks/eskies built in, or generic bait preparing/cutting stations! But again you may still have the other issues I mentioned to contend with. Unfortunately the boating industry is an old one and there is little that hasn't been thought of and produced already, and if it isn't, then there probably is a good reason.

Just something to think about!

Good points Ed

Pod builds would have only been 1-2 a month posdibly not even that but all those possibilities mentioned above by u Ed are all something to consider and what Noel said they are flopping them on ebay cheap as

Looks like 67mm to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Looks like 67mm to me?

You use the other numbers up the top where the zero is, im too use to digital vernier calipers those are analog calipers

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    You use the other numbers up the top where the zero is, im too use to digital vernier calipers those are analog calipers

Now I see. A bit different to mine.

Think it may have been Noel who mentioned making some fibreglass seats (sorry if it was someone else) that would be a top idea but i have no clue how to begin or even make the shapes

Would u mould 2 single seats or one big 3 seater? I can picture a seat but donno how i would go about doing all the shapes without it being squarish

food for thought: in the event of a failure will you be able to pay for damages- we all know what an outboard costs- building one pod does not constitute being a tradesman nor producing a marketable product.