Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excited about going fishing

Excited about going fishing

Well it's been a while since I've been so excited about taking the boat out (lifted restrictions - Normally I would avoid a long weekend , not this time ..… Heading up to Crowdy Head on Friday evening for 2.5 days snapper fishing. At this stage seas are up during the middle of the week but the weekend is looking good . I reckon those big knobbies will be in nice and close on the shallow grounds. I think a little bit of wee just came out

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Excited about going fishing

Yep, best Snapper fishing after/during big seas, my son went out right near the end of the recent big seas here, fished about 500m from the ramp, in close to the "breakers" him and his mate got 9 decent Snapper between 2 and 5KG which is good going these days.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Well it's been a while since I've been so excited about taking the boat out (lifted restrictions - Normally I would avoid a long weekend , not this time ..… Heading up to Crowdy Head on Friday evening for 2.5 days snapper fishing. At this stage seas are up during the middle of the week but the weekend is looking good . I reckon those big knobbies will be in nice and close on the shallow grounds. I think a little bit of wee just came out

Chris
    And a nice part of the world your heading to , too.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yep, best Snapper fishing after/during big seas, my son went out right near the end of the recent big seas here, fished about 500m from the ramp, in close to the "breakers" him and his mate got 9 decent Snapper between 2 and 5KG which is good going these days.
    You start catching 10lb snapper & you're doing alright .

Back in Feb I got to Crowdy straight after a big blow and I had the most outstanding first session at a new location that I've ever had …… 60-74cm fish - the bites came thick & fast for the first couple of hours that I could only fish 1 rod .

Back when I lived at Windang - I would fish the crank at Bass Point after a blow & get some good snaps consistently & where I fell in love with the Shimano baitrunner for snapper fishing.

I can only hope that's repeatable this weekend .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Great location Chris fished bass point many times 10-15 years ago bloody massive squid there

We put a rod out and hooked a huge kingy go it in to the rocks and it snapped the line had a bait out under a ballon

I hear it gets packed these days and heaps of people leaving there rubbish behind

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    You start catching 10lb snapper & you're doing alright .

Back in Feb I got to Crowdy straight after a big blow and I had the most outstanding first session at a new location that I've ever had …… 60-74cm fish - the bites came thick & fast for the first couple of hours that I could only fish 1 rod .

Back when I lived at Windang - I would fish the crank at Bass Point after a blow & get some good snaps consistently & where I fell in love with the Shimano baitrunner for snapper fishing.

I can only hope that's repeatable this weekend .

Chris
    Still fishes good in big seas, I fish there a lot during the winter westerlies, right in close for Bream, how long ago did you live in Windang? I wonder if we know anyone in common?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Great location Chris fished bass point many times 10-15 years ago bloody massive squid there

We put a rod out and hooked a huge kingy go it in to the rocks and it snapped the line had a bait out under a ballon

I hear it gets packed these days and heaps of people leaving there rubbish behind

Yes it can get crowded, there is a spot about 3/4 of the way along Bass Point that is a line of "yellow raincoats" fishing for Bonito, Salmon and Squid, and it does get a lot of crap left behind.

We use to fish off the rocks where the wharf is it use to be accessable not sure about now u could walk out and under the wharf

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Still fishes good in big seas, I fish there a lot during the winter westerlies, right in close for Bream, how long ago did you live in Windang? I wonder if we know anyone in common?
    We bought a little place in Oakland Ave back in 1999 ….. but only lived there for 18 months - then rented the place out for another 18 months when we moved back to "The Shire " My ex was a shire girl and was homesick - then sold up & bought in Bangor

I loved it down there & while the house was modest - I had a good shed / mancave . …. plus a spot to park my boat under cover

I didn't really know anyone down there .

But yeh … fishing Bass point either off the stones or in the boat was a favourite . I still remember fishing the crank the first time & the breakers ….. man it was intimidating & just that little bit scary .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Have fun Chris...

Some of my best youthful memories were made around Harrington..

we had an onsite van there for a couple of years that we would head to many weekends and holidays

and later, once I got my P's, at a mates family acreage on the manning river..

Handlined jewies just a few hundred metres off crowdy headland with a pro fisherman but mostly we would head up towards Diamond head for snapper....Cant give you any marks as there was no GPS ….

We used to also catch some big lizards up the river a bit near some oyster leases..

Dont be afraid to take a photo or 2 ...I havent been back there for over 30 years...almost forget what it looks like now..

Have a great weekend mate..

How was your weekend away Chris..?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    How was your weekend away Chris..?
    Nice to get away - Sydney traffic was a nightmare on Friday evening - 90 mins from Penrith to Hornsby - then averaged about 60km/hr to Gosford .
    Fishing was very slow - but managed about 10 snaps 40-45cm , a nice pearlie & plagued by bonnies . Very little bait - Not sure if it was the full moon influencing the fishing but when we got pulled up by fisheries - they just said a few snaps were being caught but nothing over the top .
    Ended up pulling the pin on Sunday afternoon because of the forecast for Monday & impending rain - good thing too as we copped it big from Newcastle to home .
    There were a lot of people & boats up at Harrington / Crowdy but hey it was an opportunity to get away with the young bloke & swag it out.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Sounds better than a regular weekend in Penrith, mate..

Im excited , two nice Grunta and couple doz Whiting today ...
    And say no more sigh..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Sounds better than a regular weekend in Penrith, mate..
    Couldn't agree more …
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO