Thread: Currumundi Lake, 31 May 2020

Currumundi Lake, 31 May 2020

Fished Currumundi Lake from about 4:30pm until 8pm last night.

5 breambos, best went 22cm all on prawns. Could not get them to take hardi-heads or pilchard flesh, even with aniseed or squidgy scent applied which is weird.

I am fairly certain there are a few squid in there as I got 3 hook ups on my 10ft Alvey set up rod after leaving it sit for a few minutes. Could reel them in until they let go just as they got to the sand. Not enough light to clearly see them. Wasn't crab like as they are just like pulling in a log. There was fine weed about 5 metres out from the bank and I am guessing that was where they were hiding.

More reports to follow.

Re: Currumundi Lake, 31 May 2020

A very pleasant way to isolate. Bream there love liver, small hook, no weight if possible, mind you this was way back about 10n years ago at least. I had not heard of squid in the lake but there are weed beds there so it is a possibility although squid do not like murky water at all so in all probability a crab.

Does that open to the sea much?

That I have no idea about. The water was fairly clear where I was fishing too, close to the surf end on the southern bank

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Does that open to the sea much?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4frog View Post
    That I have no idea about. The water was fairly clear where I was fishing too, close to the surf end on the southern bank
    generally open except when it is closed up for midge eradication program when they close it up for several weeks to drown their breeding sites. It has very narrow winding inlet/outlet, there's jack in there also up around the steeper sections. Whilst the water is generally fairly clear close to the ocean further up it gets a bit more turbid due to tannin plus the canals from around Wurtulla etc.