Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picking up a winter project boat

Re: Picking up a winter project boat

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Interesting Noel

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    .??.......

I kind of liken rebuilding a boat a bit like doing a car, you most likely will spend way more than it's worth (especially if you include your labour) but it has to be a kind of "hobby" you have to want to do it, when I got my current cat, it was a mess, nothing was good on it, but, it was the boat I wanted, so I went ahead and rebuilt it. Was it worth it? Maybe, it's probably one of the few left that are still "original" I didn't modify it, I just made it better than new, but, factor in weeks of labour, lots of resin and mat, all sorts of hardware, a pair of new 4 strokes and so on, it starts to add up, but then, I have had the boat for 10 trouble free years now.

Just as a side note, once you start revealing the hidden construction, it's an eye opener as to how shit some of these "legendary" boats were built from new, boats that have a reputation as being the best have some pretty sad materials and workmanship under the floor and in the transom.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Just as a side note, once you start revealing the hidden construction, it's an eye opener as to how shit some of these "legendary" boats were built from new, boats that have a reputation as being the best have some pretty sad materials and workmanship under the floor and in the transom.
    How true that is!!!

yes..I think I know where you are going here...even the hull lay up in my Haines meant that the woven roving printed through when viewed from the right angle...the floor was not undersealed and had gone, and the fuel tank had been corroded by the way they mounted it in foam.. and there were stress cracks which showed some understrength.....all fixable at a cost......but the stringers and transom were fine!!.and thats the lottery and extra costs .But I doubt they were ever intended to last 40 or more years ...be an interesting question to have asked some of those builders....

Clearly in todays market ..builders like Cootacraft and others have taken the design features inherent in the hulls and build them to a higher standard and cost....and you would expect better longevity out of the boat..

Absolutely agree, with the so called "legendary" hulls, that were shockingly built in the day, mine is no exception to this as well.
    I agree with inveratta's belief, that it simply wasn't expected that these hulls be still around some 30-40 years later, they just weren't built with longivity in mind. No major boat builder was excluded from these practices, it was simply how it was done at the time. Technology and practices have moved on now, whether the newer breed of boat lasts the test of time, who knows... I am always surprised as to how long these practices continued for, I mean there masonite flooring idea, went well into the 2000's before changing,,, however, in hindsight, my 87 built cruise craft Masonite floor, all but one tiny spot where a previous owner screwed into it, was as good as the day it was put down, underneath the floor however, was a molten mess, which I believe they somehow expected water to never ever be down there considering how it was constructed........
    But still, our passion for these "lengendary" boats and rebuilding them continues......

Col

I think most fiberglass boat problems are caused by people who touch them after they have been built.
    This includes dealers as well as owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I think most fiberglass boat problems are caused by people who touch them after they have been built.
    Agree with that Fed.... My 87 Masonite floor proves that too. Unfortunately tho, the stringers and bulk heads underneath, weren't designed to have water anywhere near them. P/O somehow had an impact with the front bow eye on mine, patched it up, but it leaked like a pig inside, the rest is history.
    I see a lot of boats down at the ramps, I recon most would have 10 or more extra screws drilled into the transoms, bit of silicone, she'll be right !!, eventually it will bite them in the ar@e..... a mate of mine fitted those domes clips all round the inside of his boat, to attach the carpet, so he could remove it and clean it, he reckoned the sika in the hole would be fine,,, he's had the boat near 8-9 years and the floor is now soft in patches where he drilled in those clip dome things..... we are our own worst enemy sometimes....

Col

.??.......
    Was some good pointers in your post Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Exactly why I am not touching mine, and why I got everything done at the builder at the factory.

Best person that can touch your boat is your self so long as you are armed with knowledge of what u are doing

If u get a boat rebuilt and drop it into a marine shop for a engine fit up they may just drill the holes and bung a engine on

I cringe at the thought..

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Agree with that Fed.... My 87 Masonite floor proves that too. Unfortunately tho, the stringers and bulk heads underneath, weren't designed to have water anywhere near them. P/O somehow had an impact with the front bow eye on mine, patched it up, but it leaked like a pig inside, the rest is history.
    I see a lot of boats down at the ramps, I recon most would have 10 or more extra screws drilled into the transoms, bit of silicone, she'll be right !!, eventually it will bite them in the ar@e..... a mate of mine fitted those domes clips all round the inside of his boat, to attach the carpet, so he could remove it and clean it, he reckoned the sika in the hole would be fine,,, he's had the boat near 8-9 years and the floor is now soft in patches where he drilled in those clip dome things..... we are our own worst enemy sometimes....

Col
    Not to mention all the boats you see at the ramp with a sheet of ally or s/steel across the transom as a quick or permanent fix for a flexing transom!

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    Not to mention all the boats you see at the ramp with a sheet of ally or s/steel across the transom as a quick or permanent fix for a flexing transom!
    HaHa, Of course, forgot the transom special !!!.
    I wonder how long blokes got away with that until it finally turned to cactus.....

Col

Surprizingly that Jenks Craft 24 is 25' and weighs under 2 ton towing