Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No More Etecs

No More Etecs

As of lat Wednesday im told ?? , any truth to this rumour??..

Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Re: No More Etecs

APPARENTLY Theyve signed up with Mercury ??..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    APPARENTLY Theyve signed up with Mercury ??..
    Brp have signed Mercury to be the preferred outboard on telwater hulls
    nothing official on any brp pages yet

seems the dealers gave telwater the big ole middle finger when rumours were flying around they would be forced to sell etecs
    3 nearest rural telwater dealers to me are yamaha agents

See - something good came out of Covid-19 ......... imagine the suffering that will be avoided

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    See - something good came out of Covid-19 ......... imagine the suffering that will be avoided

Chris
    Only you could come up with that Chris...

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Brp have signed Mercury to be the preferred outboard on telwater hulls
    nothing official on any brp pages yet

seems the dealers gave telwater the big ole middle finger when rumours were flying around they would be forced to sell etecs
    3 nearest rural telwater dealers to me are yamaha agents
    It's kind of right, Mercury will supply engines for Telwater complete package deals, there is plenty on the BRP website, I posted the official statement on the other thread, Mercury have not bought Evinrude or anything else, and no one is going to make them (so far) BRP have retained the name and technology, it was simply a financial decision, sales were falling for a few years, so they have simply ceased production.

What’s not right ?
    brp owns telwater
    telwater wants mercs on their boats where previously they wanted etecs
    there were discussions with dealers about mandatory fitment of engines

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    What’s not right ?
    brp owns telwater
    telwater wants mercs on their boats where previously they wanted etecs
    there were discussions with dealers about mandatory fitment of engines
    That there was no info on the BRP site, anyway, it really doesn't matter, it's a done deal, I was just kind of mulling things over this morning and started thinking about Honda, I have noticed that Honda car dealers are disappearing fast, and Honda's marine market share is not huge, but then, they don't spend millions on technology or advertising, they just produce simple quality motors, but, is that enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Only you could come up with that Chris...
    20 something years of pain & suffering was thrust upon the boating community with the introduction of FICHT & ETEC …… my sentiments are genuine.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    That there was no info on the BRP site, anyway, it really doesn't matter, it's a done deal, I was just kind of mulling things over this morning and started thinking about Honda, I have noticed that Honda car dealers are disappearing fast, and Honda's marine market share is not huge, but then, they don't spend millions on technology or advertising, they just produce simple quality motors, but, is that enough?
    Speaking of Honda …… put them on the list of car brands to depart Australia .

Honda went from being the BMW of Asia to an also ran ….. primarily because it didn't put anything back into R&D - I'm lead to believe that this is pretty well the same for their outboards - I'm pretty sure they are losing their grip on that position as the benchmark outboard manufacturer.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Honda car dealers are certainly few and far between these days, maybe once again it's a case of simply being good is not enough, do people (say) buy a cheap Kia or jump up to a BMW/Mercedes, leaving the middle tier quality like Honda out in the cold? I really don't know, but I hope they stay in outboards, take this for what it's worth, I have no idea, or haven't heard anything, it was just a random observation.

Just to add, let's say Honda pulled the pin tomorrow, where would that leave Tohatsu? They would have a void to fill, and fill it fast, or perish, leaving only two major players (Mercury and Yamaha) tp pick over the bones, with Suzuki maybe keeping them honest? or could they gang up and squeeze Suzuki out too?

Honda still has there followers almost every asian (nothing against asians my niece and nephews are asian) boat fisherman has a bit of silver bling on the back be it a 1998 or 2020 i think they were onto a good thing i reckon honda is playing it safe they know they have reliability and they own theee portion of the market with users and there engines are just minor changes to car engines

Where its harder for mercury, evinrude etc... they dont share that engine with other products so much more money invested in moulds and machinery that can sink them

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Mercury have years of "car engine" experience with their Mercruiser stern drives that have been around for decades, but car engines alone don't make good outboards, they are worlds apart in operating situations. Honda have lots of technology there if they need it, they have been involved in F1 racing for years, and being Japanese they tend to just do things well with no big deal advertising, whether they move along, or stay and just paddle along is anyone's guess.