Thread: spraying gelcoat......

spraying gelcoat......

The covid projects are coming to an end...specifically I have turned a pair of single axle fibreglass tinka 1980s mudguards into tandem ones using the original ends and building a mould for the middle extension...lots of mistakes as you would expect ....but actually will work ....This has partly been about developing new skills so included things like gelcoating mould before lay up..etc.

Now I have faired all the surfaces and want to finish by spraying gelcoat over the mudguards..again a trial piece of work...mudguards aint exactly critical on a near 40 yr old trailer...but I am pretty much in the dark here.....done some reading etc but I think I need help...have a low tech 1.5mm suction airgun......been ok for pva ..but I suspect horrible for gelcoat....what is the the best way to simply spray gelcoat..

And please I want to use gelcoat so 2 part epoxy or paint..is not the plan....

Re: spraying gelcoat......

Everything I've read to date said minimum 2 mm tip for spraying gelcoat. Cup guns seem to be the recommended items to use.

Inver i looked at getting a spray gun a couple of days ago there were a lot of post coming up on google about the possibilty of the gelcoat kicking off in the gun and guns costing $50+ i read if the resin does kick off u have to throw the spray gun out

I just used some gelcoat yesterday and today quiet happy with the outcome i used brush gelcoat its super super thick like warm honey

The stuff i used from trojan fibreglass was self leveling the 2nd coat all my streaks vanished withing 30 seconds of putting it on just there are small pools where the initial brush touches the job

Other than that i am very happy how mine turned out

I used $5 black cheap brushes from bunnings
    Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Inveratta,
    if you can spray 2 pack then you will be able to spray gel coat or flow coat fine. Concept is the same. I have never had it go off in the gun to a point where it wrecked the gun on me. Just make sure you have a good supply of acetone to spray through the gun when you have finished. Then pull the gun apart properly and clean it. Where a mask, respirator and a good spray suit as this stuff goes everywhere and it is extremely sticky.

You can just drill out the spray gun nozzle to about 2 mm & it works fine

thanks all....question Gazza...two brush coats....did you let the first coat set up or cure before putting on the second....and was the first coat unwaxed and the second waxed?

Hey Inver i applied one coat of gelcoat one after noon, the next day the gelcoat was rock hard so i wet sanded it and let it dry, the following day i put the second coat of gelcoat on the second coat was a little tacky i plan on spraying it with pva mould release to cure the gelcoat

Second coat looks like thisAttachment 121485