Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you wash out your tinny floor

Re: How do you wash out your tinny floor

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    And then I need to lift the floor every 12 months as somehow or other sand ends up washing through to the bottom of the hull there always seems to be a high iron content in it, most probably being washed down from those development sites and you can see where they start rusting away and causing pin holes. Of course the pin hole that was giving me grief was right under the thwart seat where it was almost impossible to reach.

Last time I had my floor up I changed it so that I had a centre section that was easily removable so I could hose through on a more regular basis.
    Good idea about the hole in the floor otherwise these boats are not suited for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Never been a fan of carpeted tin boats. Where the carpet wraps around the floor it can create corrosion issues - specially on a boat that is left outside constantly getting wet. It wasn't unusual to find a large corrosion ring when we pulled floors up to run cables. On all my tin rigs the carpet is/has beeen removable so it can be cleaned externally to the boat. Water will drain around the edges although mine did have small gaps in the thwart seat in the corners where it met the floor. You could always fit small floor drains if you were concerned.
    Have to agree it just doesn't work. I once had a welded checker plate floor in a tinny with a piece of carpet cut to size. I just used to pull out the carpet and hose all the blood of it and then hose out the checkerplate and let it run straight out the bung. Blue fin it was have not seen one like it. Pity I had to move and sell it.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I've been through this , owned a few tinnies, the last one was a quintrex 600 Navigator with a full floor and CC. With any tinny, you really need to lift the floor once a year to clean it properly. As for the actual deck finish , I've tried plain non-skid paint as well as carpet glued down. Non-skid paint is certainly easier to wash down. Anyone who makes a practice of just landing thrashing pelagics straight onto carpet is looking for a stinking trashed deck in no time. I always had a kill bin--just buy a good lug bin from a commercial fishermans supplier, stick them in head first, then bleed. But it isn't always possible to do it cleanly. As well as mashed bait. Washing/scrubbing helps, but I found the best way to really keep it from stinking was to use a wet vac and detergent. Just wet it down well, spread the detergent around, then wet vac it up. The colour of the water you will get out is...interesting. No one wants to get on the boat that stinks before you even get it wet. it's not hard to keep it sanitary. I think that glued down carpet is actually easier to keep clean than loose carpet, I've never had any success at keeping that stuff pleasant.

anyway, I won't be posting much for a while now, going away for a month's fishing and camping where internet availability is patchy.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    I've been through this , owned a few tinnies, the last one was a quintrex 600 Navigator with a full floor and CC. With any tinny, you really need to lift the floor once a year to clean it properly. As for the actual deck finish , I've tried plain non-skid paint as well as carpet glued down. Non-skid paint is certainly easier to wash down. Anyone who makes a practice of just landing thrashing pelagics straight onto carpet is looking for a stinking trashed deck in no time. I always had a kill bin--just buy a good lug bin from a commercial fishermans supplier, stick them in head first, then bleed. But it isn't always possible to do it cleanly. As well as mashed bait. Washing/scrubbing helps, but I found the best way to really keep it from stinking was to use a wet vac and detergent. Just wet it down well, spread the detergent around, then wet vac it up. The colour of the water you will get out is...interesting. No one wants to get on the boat that stinks before you even get it wet. it's not hard to keep it sanitary. I think that glued down carpet is actually easier to keep clean than loose carpet, I've never had any success at keeping that stuff pleasant.

anyway, I won't be posting much for a while now, going away for a month's fishing and camping where internet availability is patchy.
    Kill bin sounds ok but my boat had a front bench seat and next to no room in front of it, certainly no room there for a kill bin. Between the back and front bench seat maybe but need to be a big kill bin and taking up so much room just didn't work for me.
    Ah those were the days! 5min to hose down the loose carpet and 5 to hose out floor. Done.