Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Evinrude e-tec

Re: Evinrude e-tec

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The conspiracy theories are starting to surface on the US sites, making noises that Mercury somehow underhandedly purchased Evinrude to close them down, there is no truth what so ever in that, both companies are public listed and such a deal would be disclosed. In fact, the whole financial deal is quite complicated Bombardier in fact do not own BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products, that then has the "sideline" marine section) that seperate company was (I think) spun off and sold to Bain 50% share and two other major investors, these three then somehow made money selling shares, while retaining full control, and in the end "they" couldn't see a decent return on their investment. How good old carby 2 strokes are or how good an e-tec is doesn't matter, just as changing oil in a 4 stroke, or service every 3 or 5 years, the masses didn't embrace the feeble attempt at marketing advantage and the company pulled the pin.
    If thats the truth thats a pretty savage move by mercury to buy out and close down evinrude but it does happen

Look at the big hardware chain bunnings shut down now bunnings is booming

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

No, Mercury didn't buy anything, the conspiracy theorists think they did, but it's simply not true, BRP still hold both Evinrude and Johnson names and the rights to the technology, what they do with it long term is anyone's guess, I still see a Johnson 4 stroke in the future.

What is Yamahas and Suz and Honda current market share?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    No, Mercury didn't buy anything, the conspiracy theorists think they did, but it's simply not true, BRP still hold both Evinrude and Johnson names and the rights to the technology, what they do with it long term is anyone's guess, I still see a Johnson 4 stroke in the future.
    Incredible how people on those US forums can't digest basic facts that have been set out in plain English.

1 - BRP ending production of Evinrude, not a bankruptcy like OMC, just a business decision made by a much larger and profitable parent.
    2 - Without Evinrude, BRP requires a new preferred engine supplier to rig their boat brands with. Deal signed with Mercury to be that preferred supplier.

Why Mercury? Simple really, Mercury don't compete with BRP in other markets. E.g. if they gave a contract to Yamaha they'd be helping their largest competitor in the PWC market. It's actually favourable to keep other brands away from their transoms. Optics are also favourable, Mercury being American.

Bizarre how some of the US guys interpret that as "Mercury bought Evinrude and shut it down!". Evinrude is simply a division of BRP and Mercury couldn't push BRP around if they tried to, given BRP's size it would be more plausible for BRP to purchase Mercury.

I will have to go digging for numbers, but Mercury and Yamaha have always been neck and neck, with small share changes over the last few years, remember this is global numbers sold, a 2hp motor is counted just like a 400hp motor, it's a single unit, the rest of the market is split up between Honda, Tohatsu, Seven Marine, a couple of diesel makers, a few electric manufacturers and some Military spec motors, some motors are still made that we don't see here, like carby 2 strokes still available in lesser developed countries. To put it all in perspective, it was not Evinrudes market share that was the killer, it was that it was falling in consecutive years, except for fishing shows, I have never seen an Evinrude commercial on TV, but, I have seen a few Mercury ones, it's all in the selling to the public, Evinrude in a way had a niche market and perhaps should have run with that, rather than just hope that the masses would buy on blind faith?

I have seen these engines are all over Italy. re branded Yamaha's!
    https://www.selvamarine.com/en/