Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Evinrude e-tec

Evinrude e-tec

Just read an article from the US that BRP is going to "focus" on boating products, BRP branded boats will now be fitted with Mercury motors (including Telwater) no idea how true this is, or whether it's a cruel, well done hoax, so, take this as I have, it's a ????

Re: Evinrude e-tec

The US forums are running hot, so far, seems correct, falling sales has been the biggest factor.

http://news.brp.com/news-releases/ne...w-technologies
    That's a shame, I don't know if they were on the right or wrong track with etecs but at least it was an alternative track.

I said this many times here, keeping all their eggs in the one 2 stroke basket was either going to be a marketing master stroke, or a death sentence, I suspect they might rebadge a Mercury to test the market without a huge investment? or simply crush the name forever, they had plenty of 4 stroke engines to use, they were either too proud, too pig headed or just too stupid to make what the market wanted (in my opinion)

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...-covid-19.html

Gee now I'm really glad I decided to go Honda for my new motor..

Yeah I agree Fed its a shame too as I think they were getting it pretty right with the G2...

I did hear that the next round of emission standards was going to be really tough to meet, maybe this had a hand in the decision too?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Can't see Mercury continuing production with a re-branded Etec, just makes no business sense at all. Etec were just a niche competitior, sales were falling, apparently, poison on the used boat market ( although not as bad in the US as here) , just crush a small competitor and move on. The "partnering" would simply refer to putting Mercs on the transoms of boat brands owned by BRP, Telwater in Australia, a number of brands in the US/Canada.

Looks like they are sticking with project ghost.
    http://news.brp.com/static-files/415...7-29bd8420c6d8
    Pages 89 & 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Looks like they are sticking with project ghost.
    http://news.brp.com/static-files/415...7-29bd8420c6d8
    Pages 89 & 90.
    Great idea but I don't think we will ever see it...

I dont know how many people I've spoken to over the years that would not buy a second hand boat with an Etec on it ...... The same goes for a dealer - either wont trade the boat or offers a price significantly lower than expectation.

I wonder if Telwater have lost sales since they packaged boats with ETECs & eventually taken over by BRP ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I wonder if Telwater have lost sales since they packaged boats with ETECs & eventually taken over by BRP ?

Chris
    You could always get another brand if you wanted. Of the two Quintrex dealers in Sydney, one was already exclusively Mercury and the other also sold packages with Yamaha and Suzuki if you didn't want a factory Etec package.

If brp pulls out of outboards all together they must have been hammered hard evinrude was the first outboard made and to line it up with force... shit not good at all

Etec engines will be worth nothing in 20 years

Wow what a move

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
    You could always get another brand if you wanted. Of the two Quintrex dealers in Sydney, one was already exclusively Mercury and the other also sold packages with Yamaha and Suzuki if you didn't want a factory Etec package.
    That's exactly how I purchased my 2 quinny's - Hull only & fitted the motor separately

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I dont know how many people I've spoken to over the years that would not buy a second hand boat with an Etec on it ...... The same goes for a dealer - either wont trade the boat or offers a price significantly lower than expectation.

Chris
    Your right ,iv been looking in the second hand market and I pass by anything with an etec on it for personal reasons .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    If brp pulls out of outboards all together they must have been hammered hard evinrude was the first outboard made and to line it up with force... shit not good at all

Etec engines will be worth nothing in 20 years

Wow what a move

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    I don't think you will have to wait 20 years, unless "someone" (maybe a Chinese company) buys Evinrude, or BRP does a quick rebadge of an existing brand, then the name will be extinct in 20 years, motors are worth Little now on the used market, as soon as the general buying public knows about their demise, they will be the Chrysler/Force of the modern era, any company that buys them (if at all) will need deep pockets to keep up, or rely on third world countries for sales.