Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Evinrude e-tec

Re: Evinrude e-tec

I owned many johnson/evinrudes 2 strokes great engines just cant kill them

I owned one chrysler surprisingly it ran good back in 1999-2000

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

I'm guessing Gazza that the Rudes you owned were not DI motors...

Johno and Evinrude have made some fantastic motors in carby form.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    I'm guessing Gazza that the Rudes you owned were not DI motors...

Johno and Evinrude have made some fantastic motors in carby form.

Cheers

Yeah older carby models

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Had an 85hp, it wouldn't start until the 4th time, every time but other than that it never missed a beat.
    Let me tell you ….. I was fishing at the Sydney Peak with an old timer from the fishing club …. it always seemed to have an issue when starting .... didn't matter - be it cold or hot - it struggled … but what really got me was the time that it just stopped as we were returning to Sydney Harbour not but 150 m off Rosa gully
    Let me tell you I was shitting myself ……. we were literally 5 mins from being on the rocks when another club boat towed us out .

A few years later …. I fished with another bloke who had the orange thing off the back - two out of three times we had an issue .

I actually have a real chuckle every time I hear of people pining for the good old days of 2 banger johnno's etc because of the simplicity & that you can work on them yourself ……….. yeh right , if I think about all the breakdowns & issues that were involved with going fishing in the 80's & 90s ….. I would never be a boat owner .
    My first boat which ran a new 1994 mariner was a delight compared to other boats I was fishing out of …… but it still had the odd moment & was eventually replaced with a yammi 2 stroke before I sold it .
    If I compare the last 14 years of boat ownership ….. Yammi & Suzuki 4 bangers …. I've had two issues - 1 gearbox @ 20hrs Yammi F60 which was replaced in 4 days . The other was … I couldn't start the boat on Lake Proserpine (Yammi F60) …. came back to the ramp on the leccy . A bloke (a former Ausfisher) ran his eye over the boat & picked up that the fuel line wasn't properly connected . So since 2006 & a couple of thousand hours boating - I've had just one breakdown .

Nah you guys who pine for the good old days of simpler times are just nuts

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

That's the funny thing Chris. A younger version of me ran an old (bought from new) OMC VRO 40 hp for a period of 20 years. It failed once at 18 months old due to a bearing failure but for the remainder of it's service never once had a fault that caused it to stand me up. It never went back to a dealer - all servicing was done by myself. I've taken my E-Tec in for a couple of things but once again in the time I've owned it - it has never stood me up. The one time it gave me grief courtesy of an air bubble in the oil supply, I connected to the computer, performed a purge and off we went again. Hasn't been touched since.

I often wonder how much of the grief Evinrude has copped can be directly attributed to their dealers or owners simply not doing the right thing. Frequenting the owners forums, time and time again you see owners asking about re-propping due to set ups leaving the engines lugging - which consequently will destroy 4 strokes as well - one friend with a 200 Yammie can attest to that. Granted they should have been more vigilant in control of their dealer network but many fit larger pitch props to save a bit of fuel simply because the engines will push them. I re propped mine at the completion of the hard top build as my WOT had fallen about 500 rpm below where it should have been. This pushed temps up considerably to the point I was uncomfortable with it and re propped. Temp drop of about 10 degrees at some rev ranges were seen.

Yep I have had 2 stroke carby motors with thousands of hours and never ever let me down. My current motor is smaller than most of my other motors. 40 Hp. 3 cyl Tohatsu 2 stroke carby electronic ignition. 2002. Now it starts within a 3 second on the coldest day at the ramp (electric choke helps) and then once warm for the whole day of fishing it is INSTANT start...literally the same as a 4 stroke and I have been in plenty of boats with new 4 strokes. I have done a lot of hours on top of the previous owners in all manner of conditions and it's flawless. I always run very good quality fuel lines, primer bulbs, fittings and water separator...this is an 18 year old motor OK. No mixing oil manually. Bulletproof oil injection.

So...you certainly don't need a modern injected 4 banger to enjoy flawless reliability.

Down the track I want a 60hp for more top end to get to locations quicker. I will go 4 stroke then because it's a bit quieter and even more frugal and because I have no choice when going new. But I won't be kidding myself that in 20 years time I will be saying wow that's so much more reliable than the motor it replaced.

Cheers

I only ever owned one Evinrude and it was a 40hp carby model with the oil injection. Never had a problem with it.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I would imagine there will be some cheap Etecs coming up. How much of a discount would it take to tempt you to buy one?

I think would need to be around 40% off considering it will be virtually worthless on the 2nd hand market when upgrading or would make the boat its on harder to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Let me tell you ….. I was fishing at the Sydney Peak with an old timer from the fishing club …. it always seemed to have an issue when starting .... didn't matter - be it cold or hot - it struggled … but what really got me was the time that it just stopped as we were returning to Sydney Harbour not but 150 m off Rosa gully
    Let me tell you I was shitting myself ……. we were literally 5 mins from being on the rocks when another club boat towed us out .

A few years later …. I fished with another bloke who had the orange thing off the back - two out of three times we had an issue .

I actually have a real chuckle every time I hear of people pining for the good old days of 2 banger johnno's etc because of the simplicity & that you can work on them yourself ……….. yeh right , if I think about all the breakdowns & issues that were involved with going fishing in the 80's & 90s ….. I would never be a boat owner .
    My first boat which ran a new 1994 mariner was a delight compared to other boats I was fishing out of …… but it still had the odd moment & was eventually replaced with a yammi 2 stroke before I sold it .
    If I compare the last 14 years of boat ownership ….. Yammi & Suzuki 4 bangers …. I've had two issues - 1 gearbox @ 20hrs Yammi F60 which was replaced in 4 days . The other was … I couldn't start the boat on Lake Proserpine (Yammi F60) …. came back to the ramp on the leccy . A bloke (a former Ausfisher) ran his eye over the boat & picked up that the fuel line wasn't properly connected . So since 2006 & a couple of thousand hours boating - I've had just one breakdown .

Nah you guys who pine for the good old days of simpler times are just nuts

Chris
    Chris, Inow remember I actually did have 2 other issues with the old suzi, and from memory they were blue with orange decals. One time started it at home no problems, got to the ramp 5 mins down the road and nothing, turns out the deadmans switch which was a long plastic finger had shrunk just enough over a couple of years and so it wouldn't depress the switch. The second issue I was doing 40 knots down the channel and it just stopped. Turned out to be an earth lead that was too short and just parted. Otherwise it really was a reliable beast apart from starting, need 4 turns with the key. My mate has a 30 hp 2 st yammy on his tinnie and he laments that it will only start on the 4th pull of the rope, yet his old suzi always started on the first pull generally.

It’s strange how all of a sudden all the old carby two strokes were the most reliable motors on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    It’s strange how all of a sudden all the old carby two strokes were the most reliable motors on the planet
    They had there problems but they still ran alot of the old engines i worked on had corrosion internally lots of caked calcium or something really rock hard white/yellowie build up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    For decades, unless you had an inboard they were the only marine motors on the planet .

And yes certain carby models, especially towards the end of development were brilliant. How else do you describe getting 20 years plus of completely reliable boating?

You are correct; 23yrs so far and 115s going strong.
    What could go wrong.......................

The conspiracy theories are starting to surface on the US sites, making noises that Mercury somehow underhandedly purchased Evinrude to close them down, there is no truth what so ever in that, both companies are public listed and such a deal would be disclosed. In fact, the whole financial deal is quite complicated Bombardier in fact do not own BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products, that then has the "sideline" marine section) that seperate company was (I think) spun off and sold to Bain 50% share and two other major investors, these three then somehow made money selling shares, while retaining full control, and in the end "they" couldn't see a decent return on their investment. How good old carby 2 strokes are or how good an e-tec is doesn't matter, just as changing oil in a 4 stroke, or service every 3 or 5 years, the masses didn't embrace the feeble attempt at marketing advantage and the company pulled the pin.

Just to add, as it stands, Mercury has over 40% of the market, Evinrude held 3.7%, and falling, such a tiny share could not be considered competition (in my opinion) the only competition to Mercury is Yamaha, the others are just dots on a graph in some board room by comparison.