Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Evinrude e-tec

Re: Evinrude e-tec

as some have said it all depended on how well the dealer went into bat for you to get things fixed

and tbh i think BRP did favours for dealers that sold more engines and not for smaller guys
    because people have said they had serious failures replaced or fixed out of warranty and others got the pineapple treatment

Plenty of arguments here, but realistically Australia represents maybe 1% (probably not even that) of world sales. I agree with most critics, putting all eggs into one basket was a problem. I have a mate who has a g2 and l9ves it. I know others who love em. At tje end of the day though, it was there main thrust and no fall back. Just got to wait and see the fall out.

Considering BRP have owned Rotax for 50years now, i can't understand why they never used their 4stroke technology on outboards, when they use them in jet ski's as a marine environment example. After all, they make aircraft engines, so reliability is a big requirement there. looking on their web site, they produce so many different styles of 4st engines, an outboard surely wouldn't have been too hard!
    https://www.rotax.com/en/products/ro...wertrains.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Plenty of arguments here, but realistically Australia represents maybe 1% (probably not even that) of world sales. I agree with most critics, putting all eggs into one basket was a problem. I have a mate who has a g2 and l9ves it. I know others who love em. At tje end of the day though, it was there main thrust and no fall back. Just got to wait and see the fall out.
    God, I hate AI when it comes to reading what I think I posted. Keep clearing the
    Memory but my fingers don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It's really hard to put a finger on why sales were low and falling, I do believe they got surrounded by 4 strokes and simply sunk, but sales were never great, even all the fanfare about the new 3 cylinder lineup didn't work, sales of them have been dismal in the US, don't know of any at all here. Evinrude/Johnson had top spot in outboard sales and customer satisfaction for decades, I am not too sure FICHT did them any favours, but it wasn't the death knell, I think continuing down the same path might have been a bad move, making a (say) Johnson 4 stroke, and an Evinrude DI to stabilise their range might have been a better path, if the DI failed (we now know it did) they would still have a foot in the door with the Johnson. Perception is everything, e-tecs were/are perceived to be bad, no amount of 2 stroke advertising could over come that, the issue of emissions created such a fine tune that they were right on the edge of lubrication efficiency, and the next round of standards were going to be even tougher to meet, so, unless a new better (more expensive) oil was developed, and they found a way to use even less oil, and an even leaner fuel ratio, they were on the back pedal already.
    Maybe because OMC / BRP haven't produced a consistently reliable motor for 2 decades …. each reincarnation just lacked that reliability . Even the Gen II Etecs have had issues .

FICHT problems are well known …. but that's a long time ago now. ETEC problems are well known - so that's 2 generations of boat owners - It would be pretty darn hard to survive that .

Yeh sure there are problems with every brand ….. but not anywhere near the extent of those OMC / BRP motors & in these days where people are travelling wider & further ….. reliability is something that boaties are less tolerant about.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    What no more ETEC arguments what will we do for entertainment
    Ha yep will have to stick with plate vs glass and mono vs cat. Though havent seen many of those for a while as everyone now knows deep vee mono glass gets the chicks.

tbh its a very interesting slash strange time for our industry here atm. dynamic to say the least
    I started in this game in the US right around the time Optimax was finally becoming the go to DI engine and mercury was clawing back after the whole "black anchor" image.. australia wasa couple of years behind in 2009 when i came to oz in this industry, mercury has gone from "optimax is great but wouldnt touch anything else" to... 60% market share as of a few weeks ago.
    Id dare say in the background Brunswick has spent some serious coin to reverse their fortune in a decade .. though i worry if its a short term gain ?.
    Evinrude i feel just couldnt get the formular right and was paying interest for too long and the losses cought up.
    i agree that BRP should of diversived and added 4 stroke to their range at least 5 or 6 years ago.
    i dont imagine we will see Evinrude ever again. Johnson showed that big names can just go away...

That being said... we are in a real transition ... decade... maybe more
    Oxe diesel are opening up a US plant
    We are seeing volvo penta dip their toes back in the outboard world
    European electric is ticking away at the RND

Marine propulsion "excuses the pun" moves slowly in consumer markets.. but in 10 years.. prob more like 15 years... we will see a very very different landscape.

Who knows maybe in the future we will have OXE vs Torqeedo fan boys arguing on forums

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

I think what it amounts to is pretty simple, 2 stroke was/is dead, even simple home maintenance equipment is 4 stroke, the days of dad pushing the noisey smoking Victa around the back yard are long gone, cheap 4 stroke mowers and whipper snippers are everywhere, BRP either had their heads in the sand or management were out of touch with reality. All the advertising in the world was not helping, the technology was simply not embraced by the masses, for long term boaters, the old bad name left a sour taste in the mouth, for the newcomer, the salesman simply told them how fabulous a 4 stroke was, and 4 stroke salesmen outnumbered e-tec 4-1 they were on a solid beating from the start. It is an interesting time and sad at the same time, does BRP have "something" in the pipeline? even if it's the best thing ever made, can they overcome this second shutdown and bad "vibe"? will they see the light and have a third crack with a 4 stroke? I see by keeping the name, they might have a shot at it again, but with a whole new setup.

I think what it amounts to is pretty simple, 2 stroke was/is dead, even simple home maintenance equipment is 4 stroke, the days of dad pushing the noisey smoking Victa around the back yard are long gone, cheap 4 stroke mowers and whipper snippers are everywhere, BRP either had their heads in the sand or management were out of touch with reality. All the advertising in the world was not helping, the technology was simply not embraced by the masses, for long term boaters, the old bad name left a sour taste in the mouth, for the newcomer, the salesman simply told them how fabulous a 4 stroke was, and 4 stroke salesmen outnumbered e-tec 4-1 they were on a solid beating from the start. It is an interesting time and sad at the same time, does BRP have "something" in the pipeline? even if it's the best thing ever made, can they overcome this second shutdown and bad "vibe"? will they see the light and have a third crack with a 4 stroke? I see by keeping the name, they might have a shot at it again, but with a whole new setup.
    sentimentally, i would like to see them back one day, as they have powered our boats since 1975. still have a little 2000 15hp which run's like a dream. can't ever imagine i'll sell it!

So who's going to shove their hand in the air and be an early adopter The ground that will be lost & that sour taste surely would keep buyers away when they have long established well regarded choices from Honda , Yamaha , Suzuki & Mercury. …… ( Brand loyalty ) Hell even when it comes to cars as we've seen here in Aus - brand loyalty play little part in what consumers will buy.
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Vromme View Post
    Ha yep will have to stick with plate vs glass and mono vs cat. Though havent seen many of those for a while as everyone now knows deep vee mono glass gets the chicks.
    Best answer on Plate vs Glass I have seen yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherfriend View Post
    Best answer on Plate vs Glass I have seen yet!
    “Cough” polycraft

But why would BRP go with Mercury of all manufacturers? Mercury probably has the most sales over the last 5 years but surely BRP could have beat Tohatsu to the plate for Honda rebadge?

To me Honda are the roles royce of 4 stroke outboards

Wonder why BRP didnt reunite with Suzuki either as it was with them for those early Suzuki 4 strokes as far as im aware Suzuki doesnt have anyone rebadging there engines and the Suzuki cars sold like crazy with there blocks in them

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

I think I am going for Rotax engine next time.....Don't really care that Evinrude and Johnson have shut shop.
    Been an Evinrude man all my life.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    But why would BRP go with Mercury of all manufacturers? Mercury probably has the most sales over the last 5 years but surely BRP could have beat Tohatsu to the plate for Honda rebadge?

To me Honda are the roles royce of 4 stroke outboards

Wonder why BRP didnt reunite with Suzuki either as it was with them for those early Suzuki 4 strokes as far as im aware Suzuki doesnt have anyone rebadging there engines and the Suzuki cars sold like crazy with there blocks in them

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    I think because the others have products similar to BRP, Mercury (Brunswick) do not compete with jet skis and snow equipment, the others do, I did read the old partnership with Suzuki went bad, perhaps that was never resolved?