Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Evinrude e-tec

Re: Evinrude e-tec

e parsun tec?

Seriously....always sad to see something of value slide under...reminds me of one old mans business credo....Listen to your market...make what they want....tell them where they can buy it...I suppose the story will emerge after the PR dies down...

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I dont know how many people I've spoken to over the years that would not buy a second hand boat with an Etec on it ...... The same goes for a dealer - either wont trade the boat or offers a price significantly lower than expectation.

I wonder if Telwater have lost sales since they packaged boats with ETECs & eventually taken over by BRP ?

Chris
    I agree Nagg. I wouldn't buy a second hand one.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I don't think you will have to wait 20 years, unless "someone" (maybe a Chinese company) buys Evinrude, or BRP does a quick rebadge of an existing brand, then the name will be extinct in 20 years, motors are worth Little now on the used market, as soon as the general buying public knows about their demise, they will be the Chrysler/Force of the modern era, any company that buys them (if at all) will need deep pockets to keep up, or rely on third world countries for sales.
    Yeah thats a real bummer i have liked etecs since they came out coming months may be time to snag a 150hp etec if it blows a powerhead im sure to buy another one would be cheap

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

as said before no one wants a second hand one as it is now
    havnt seen a good ole etec v yamaha battle royale for quite a while come to think of it.

in the states etecs were the cheapest of any mainstream outboard brand with marketing that appealed to, well appealed to the type who likes etecs and with the easiest to get finance packages

brps a massive company airplane seadoo snow mobile gokart engines amongst many many other products
    id say its just a corporate decision xyz isnt making money piss it off

I dont know how many people I've spoken to over the years that would not buy a second hand boat with an Etec on it ...... The same goes for a dealer - either wont trade the boat or offers a price significantly lower than expectation.

I wonder if Telwater have lost sales since they packaged boats with ETECs & eventually taken over by BRP ?

Chris
    No, I don't think so, the "turn key package" buyer is usually a new boater and buys what the salesman tells them is best, or the cheapest deal they can get.

Etec usage seems to be directly related to the quality of the service dealers in a given area. In SEQ there are plenty of them and IMO no issue selling second hand locally - until now of course. I bought one second hand in Dec 2012 - not because I wanted the engine but I did want the hull and decided to roll the dice on the engine with eyes wide open. Up until today - no regrets. Now she's a drive it till it drops proposition. BRP from the sounds of things are transferring their focus to their new "Ghost concept" marine propulsion - from what I read somewhere a new take on the inboard/outboard in laymans terms - possibly with a compact rotax engine. The trouble they may well have is this is going to leave a very sour taste in the mouths of even the diehard brand loyalists.

The "ghost" thing has been in and out of the news for a long time now, who knows if it will ever see the light of day, there's also a guy with a 4 cylinder 8litre 645hp engine that is new and never seen before, but being the skeptic I am, I will just wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Etec usage seems to be directly related to the quality of the service dealers in a given area. In SEQ there are plenty of them and IMO no issue selling second hand locally - until now of course. I bought one second hand in Dec 2012 - not because I wanted the engine but I did want the hull and decided to roll the dice on the engine with eyes wide open. Up until today - no regrets. Now she's a drive it till it drops proposition. BRP from the sounds of things are transferring their focus to their new "Ghost concept" marine propulsion - from what I read somewhere a new take on the inboard/outboard in laymans terms - possibly with a compact rotax engine. The trouble they may well have is this is going to leave a very sour taste in the mouths of even the diehard brand loyalists.
    There are plenty of them everywhere …….. I think it boiled down to the price as much as anything - in addition to BRP sponsoring every man & their dog at one stage or another.

Yep there are some brand loyalists (dad had a Evinrude kind of thing) ….. they maybe won some new hearts with the G2 looks - but I still don't think people clambered over themselves to go an Etec - Certainly from what I've seen & heard .

They are still one of the most complained about motors

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Are they possibly going inboard with the rotax jetski engines? That could be something quiet unique if i got that right

14-15foot boats with 3 cylinder rotax inboards that weigh i donno 120-130kg instead of a 300kg regular car engine

That would be really cool unsure how they would drive a leg tho if they did the little seadoo spark is already getting 3.5 hours run time off 50L of fuel there abouts

Stick that in a small fishing boat would be pretty cool

There are plenty of them everywhere …….. I think it boiled down to the price as much as anything

Chris
    You pretty much nailed it there I reckon Nagg
    I was looking to repower in Jan this year and the 115 G2 was at the top of my list but the price killed it
    I ended up buying a 115CT Mercury fitted for $5k cheaper than the 115 G2 purchase price
    I liked the DFI 2 strokes and my last motor was a TLDI Tohatsu which was just an amazing engine so the whole DFI 2 stroke thing didn't scare me at all, plus my brother in law has an original 90hp Etec that has been faultless so I was happy to buy one
    But 5k is 5k and so far I'm really happy with the Merc, It has loads of grunt and cheap as to run, Glad I made that call now

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Are they possibly going inboard with the rotax jetski engines? That could be something quiet unique if i got that right

14-15foot boats with 3 cylinder rotax inboards that weigh i donno 120-130kg instead of a 300kg regular car engine

That would be really cool unsure how they would drive a leg tho if they did the little seadoo spark is already getting 3.5 hours run time off 50L of fuel there abouts

Stick that in a small fishing boat would be pretty cool

Bit different Gazza - it's more a concealed outboard hidden under a rear casting platform sort of thing. It may have taken off but if they are prepared to simply abandon their customer base and dealer network, I suspect they may have a hard time convincing their target market to trust them. It may be they will only ever see light of day via particular boat brands.

https://www.boatindustry.com/news/32...outboard-motor

Bit different Gazza - it's more a concealed outboard hidden under a rear casting platform sort of thing. It may have taken off but if they are prepared to simply abandon their customer base and dealer network, I suspect they may have a hard time convincing their target market to trust them. It may be they will only ever see light of day via particular boat brands.

https://www.boatindustry.com/news/32...outboard-motor
    Gee whiz knocking off the outboard for a boat that one can only run a brp engine in this is going to go sour with owners i think

People like varity of outboards they can pick and choose, basically you're stuck with a quintrex and brp engine in this combo

Concept could work well if Ghost has great fuel economy and is light GVM to tow with a small car

Can see it already people adding turbos and boosting ecu for hp like the seadoo sparks

I think its a narrow market tho

Ghost looks like a nightmare if you want to repower down the line. Wouldn't touch it. Wouldn't touch BRP in general after the chit show they've put on with Evinrude. Apparently many of the employees found out on Facebook the day of the announcement. Super classy. BRP should have done some sort of 4 stroke Rotax outboard but they were too arrogant to concede that the average punter has been pre-programmed into the idea that it's 4 stroke or bust.

I know someone who bought a Suzuki/Stacer package recently and when asked what he liked about the Suzi over the Etecs they're rigged with from factory, "it needed to be a 4 stroke". Old mate knows nothing at all about engines or outboards in particular (first boat too), but what he did know was that he "needed" a 4 stroke. That's what BRP were up against - didn't matter how good the G2s were.

Yeah you're pretty shagged if a fish runs your line around the leg no bending over taking that one off like a outboard

I reckon if u need to change engines its going to be costly and the mechanic will need a gantry crane

The Ghost doesnt have a lot of appeal to it from what i can see so far but we'll see

The downward spiral started decades ago with the FICHT fiasco, where there were big problems that Evinrude stuck their heads in the sand about until it was impossible to ignore the flames burning around them. Ultimately that caused the original OMC collapse.

Bombardier picked up the wreckage but the direct injection technology approach they took was still problematic.

Even now there are too many horror stories around including many involving the G2’s. And the problems have always been in far greater numbers than the occasional lemon engine that we all know that all brands suffer from very occasionally....

ET will need to find a new outboard sponsor now too!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....