Thread: Garmin Real Vu PS30 transducer

Garmin Real Vu PS30 transducer

Been looking at the Garmin PS30 Real-Vu transducer, some interesting vids on u-tube.

has anyone got one or used one in the real world off shore ? 3D imaging looks good but i'm wondering if it will cope with a bit of slop off shore or will that cofuse the image to much? would it work at speed say 35-40 KPH would be a good way to propect new ground if it will cope with a bit of slop and some speed.

interested in any thoughts as well as any actual experience with Real vu.

BigE

Re: Garmin Real Vu PS30 transducer

yep and nope

Its .... not bad,,. But its not amazing either. in PS down mode on a reef etc its pretty handy. in historial mode you will have to lower your gain a fair bit for salt water use.
    it does have an AHRS stabilizer in built that does aid in some of the slop. but yeah.. its........okay. not great

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

thanks moose.
    was just sussing out if anyone has used it offshore at speed. have just sorted out my spot lock and now i'm looking at capability to find small patches at crusing speed. have the narrow beam (tm260) to put me right on top of small areas just looking to improve the searching capability at cruise.

any thoughts improving that side of sounding?

Ausfish Platinum Member

How would it compare with the RV100 on the Raymarine units, Moose? I know people that were incredibly disappointed with the 3-D aspect of that transducer, expected too much, IMO. I found the great value in it was the sidescan , brilliant stuff. Being able to see something well off to one side is gold. But I find there is one thing to remember with this stuff--think of it as looking down from an aircraft. Big hills look tiny from altitude. In deeper water, the features will look very small. A 2 metre high ledge will look huge, and well defined, in 10 metres of water. Same size ledge will still look good in 20 metres. Get out into 50 metres, and it will look pretty small, maybe hard to see, even. It's all about perpective. At least that is how the Raymarine system works. Oh, and I have given up on the 3-D as well, just haven't used it for over 12 months. The sidescan mighn't be all colourful and whizbang looking like the 3-D, but the picture definition , at least in relatively shallow water, is brilliant.