Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Fibreglass kit

  1. #1
    Ausfish Silver Member 552Evo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Melbourne

    Fibreglass kit

    I want to do a repair inside one of the storage boxes on my boat.
    Iíve researched on the web as much as I can about what to do, seems straight forward enough.
    Start with a flapper disk and grind out the area.
    Mix resin and hardner.
    Wet out the area and build up the layers of glass with resin in between each layer, pushing out bubbles and flattening as I go.
    Let dry.
    Sand back to make pretty and paint with gel coat - I havenít looked at that part yet.
    But I want to make sure Iím using the right materials.
    I can go to a marine shop and get a repair kit - close to an hours drive.
    Or I can go to the big green shed 2 minutes drive and get what looks to me like the same thing just different brand.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/protite-...s-kit_p1560649

    Am I on the right track ? Or not ?
    Obviously Iíve got no idea


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Ausfish Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kalbarri, WA

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Sounds right. As long as there is enough material in the kit to do it. Nice and clean, no grease or oil. No need to grind everything off, as long as the base is strong. Mix resin and hardener between 1 and 2 percent, dependant on temperature. Temperature has a big effect on curing time--I left a job half in/half out of the sun once, the bit in the sun was hard, in the shade it was still wet. Work it right into the corners, getting the bubbles out. if you want it stronger, add more laminations. If the mat is properly wetted, it will all appear the same colour, no lighter (or white) patches. You don't need to mix it all up at once, you can do a fresh mix and keep laminating over work that is still wet. Do as good a job as you can on the glassing if you want a nice finished surface, grinding back a bad job just never comes out as good.
    I personally like to deal with inside corners separately--cut a strip that will go 40mm or so out from the corner, wet it in well, then lay the bigger flat bits over it. Just saves trying to manage a larger piece around the corner and keep it all square. By plenty of disposable gloves, cheap panit brushes, and 4 itres of acetone for cleanup. You can also get little metal rillers to help get it rolled flat, do a better job than brushes over the mat once it is wetted. Small sponge rollers are good for the flowcoat.

  3. #3
    Ausfish Silver Member 552Evo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Thread Starter

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Thanks heaps Ranmar.
    I might wait for dryer weather before attempting this job.
    So is "flowcoat" the colour over the top of the fibreglass repair ?
    Is flowcoat ok over the top of the factory gel coat ?
    I'm assuming the factory finish inside the storage locker I'm repairing is a gel coat finish ?
    The finish has a black fleck.
    Appreciate your advice.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #4

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Hey Evo probably just mix at 1% and move the part into the sun when your done a lot of people get told 2% hardener even my self but it goes off quicker than a mouse taking the bait

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

  5. #5
    Ausfish Silver Member 552Evo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Thread Starter

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Thanks gazza it's pretty cold and wet here in Melbourne now so with my let's say lack of experience I'll have to get a feel for the ratio as I get into it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Thanks heaps Ranmar.
    I might wait for dryer weather before attempting this job.
    So is "flowcoat" the colour over the top of the fibreglass repair ?
    Is flowcoat ok over the top of the factory gel coat ?
    I'm assuming the factory finish inside the storage locker I'm repairing is a gel coat finish ?
    The finish has a black fleck.
    Appreciate your advice.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Flowcoat is fine but you will need to taper sand the gelcoat back a bit. I've never bothered with the fleck finish, usually it's sprayed.

  7. #7
    Ausfish Silver Member 552Evo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Thread Starter

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Thanks Dignity,
    So is it most likely that the factory finish inside the storage locker is flow coat ?
    It's a mat finish, not shiny like the hull exterior which must obviously be a gel coat finish.
    Apologies for the obvious questions, but I've never learnt this stuff.
    I'm just trying to understand why flow coat was brought up,


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Thanks Dignity,
    So is it most likely that the factory finish inside the storage locker is flow coat ?
    It's a mat finish, not shiny like the hull exterior which must obviously be a gel coat finish.
    Apologies for the obvious questions, but I've never learnt this stuff.
    I'm just trying to understand why flow coat was brought up,


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Usually gelcoat is sprayed into a mould first before layup of glass, flowcoat for places after the layup is probably a very generic explanation. Although repair of gelcoat damage is often undertaken with flowcoat. Also you need to be aware of waxed or unwaxed flowcoat. Waxed is good for internal areas e.g. under bunks, bilges etc where you will put a coat on and that's it, unwaxed means uoi want to do more with it so that future coats stick.

  9. #9
    Ausfish Silver Member 552Evo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Thread Starter

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Usually gelcoat is sprayed into a mould first before layup of glass, flowcoat for places after the layup is probably a very generic explanation. Although repair of gelcoat damage is often undertaken with flowcoat. Also you need to be aware of waxed or unwaxed flowcoat. Waxed is good for internal areas e.g. under bunks, bilges etc where you will put a coat on and that's it, unwaxed means uoi want to do more with it so that future coats stick.
    Ok thanks again Dignity, so being inside a bow storage locker (like an in-floor storage compartment with a hinged deck lid) it's most likely a waxed flow coat ?

    More questions for everyone, anyone,,
    So from what I've ascertained online,,, the kit I'm looking at from the big green shed is a polyester resin based kit and it may or may not be suitable or my needs - depending if the fibreglass resin used for my boats construction is epoxy or polyester.
    The source online I'm learning from says - epoxy over polyester is fine but not ideal the other way round.
    Can I tell some how what sort of resin my boat was built with ? Or should I ring Monday and ask the builder ?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Ok thanks again Dignity, so being inside a bow storage locker (like an in-floor storage compartment with a hinged deck lid) it's most likely a waxed flow coat ?

    More questions for everyone, anyone,,
    So from what I've ascertained online,,, the kit I'm looking at from the big green shed is a polyester resin based kit and it may or may not be suitable or my needs - depending if the fibreglass resin used for my boats construction is epoxy or polyester.
    The source online I'm learning from says - epoxy over polyester is fine but not ideal the other way round.
    Can I tell some how what sort of resin my boat was built with ? Or should I ring Monday and ask the builder ?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi Evo, 99% chance it will be polyester. Not many production boats built with epoxy due to cost and time which is also cost.

  11. #11

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Evo sand a bit back to glass and take a pic show the boys on AF and someone will tell you, from what i have seen

    Poly = green to a dark brownish

    Vinyl = lighter brown than poly

    Epoxy = light yellow'ish

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

  12. #12
    Ausfish Silver Member 552Evo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Thread Starter

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Thanks Brett and gazza. Iíll post back what eventuates.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Hey Evo i just picked up some resin from RTM a local store they had resin and chopped mat at penrith store

    Thats road tech and marine

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

  14. #14
    Ausfish Silver Member 552Evo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Thread Starter

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    RTM were a good store to have local but the one nearest me (about a 10 minute drive) closed down over a year ago now so that sucks. Now itís a Vinnies store


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15

    Re: Fibreglass kit

    Colour is not a true indicator of the resin type. I have seen blue polyester and green vinylester. If it's an older hull I doubt it would be epoxy..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us