Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fibreglass kit

Re: Fibreglass kit

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    It all looks good.

When you retrieve the last couple of feet is the stern still partially floating or is it firmly sitting on the rear roller?
    The trailer is dual axle and I reverse it up to the top of the first set of wheels closest to the car, the rear wheels are submerged.

I drive the boat under low power pretty much up to about less than a foot away from the roller/winch then manually wind the winch up tight and put the chain on. Motor off.
    The stern is already on the rear rollers as the boat is driven up to the bow roller/winch.

Initially I was concerned the cracking could have been caused by flex of the hull in heavy seas impacting or pushing the corner of the storage bin. That corner that is cracked in the photos above would be close to the hull. So the photo shows the worst crack in the vertical corner - closest the hull, but there is obviously another crack along the bottom of the storage bin that runs lengthways (bow to stern direction) about a foot long.
    As mentioned previous there’s nothing of any weight stored in the bin/locker to cause the cracks.
    I’ve had a good look in the other 3 storage lockers on the front deck and under the hull and can’t see any stresses or cracks anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stern is already on the rear rollers as the boat is driven up to the bow roller/winch.
    That pretty much takes the trailer being a problem out of the puzzle.
    The mystery remains, what has caused it?

Evo, I had another look on the laptop today and although not a lot clearer it does appear to be thicker in the bottom section than the top part. almost as if they ran out of glass about there.

Mystery..pretty much ..if the sellers are going to fix it without cost..thats a plus...Im just bush lawyer here..but it seems a pretty fair sized fail for a young hull.....I would be more interested in why this happened.. than can you fix it...fibreglass is a pretty resilient material but is not so good when stressed in an unplanned way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Evo, I had another look on the laptop today and although not a lot clearer it does appear to be thicker in the bottom section than the top part. almost as if they ran out of glass about there.
    Hopefully it's something simple like that. Then it's an easy patch job with no follow up except to keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    Mystery..pretty much ..if the sellers are going to fix it without cost..thats a plus...Im just bush lawyer here..but it seems a pretty fair sized fail for a young hull.....I would be more interested in why this happened.. than can you fix it...fibreglass is a pretty resilient material but is not so good when stressed in an unplanned way.
    Inveratta I hear you, it's a bit of an odd spot though ? That's why I thought it's possible hull flex in that area could be pushing against that corner of the bin when in heavy seas. I've heard about and read about how much fibreglass hulls flex.
    If your a bush lawyer then I'll claim to be a bush mechanic on a boat. Ha ha.

Could it be stress between the anchor well or where the electric anchor is and the bow sprit kind of like stetching a rubber band and it breaks in the middle

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Fibreglass kit

Hi Gazza, I wouldn't think so ? But I'm no expert.
    You have more experience than me but my explanation or understanding is - that the whole boat is made of 3 mouldings, 1-the hull, 2-a sub floor with built in stringers 3-the deck. Obviously all glassed together - so I understand.
    With this in mind - from what I can see - the cracks are only in one area in the inside of the storage locker, along 2 inside edges of that locker. I think this part where the cracks are is on the sub floor section only. Like the middle layer of a cake.
    I think if the bow was put under excessive load for example by the anchor and or winch then cracks caused by any overload/stretch would show on an outer surface as well, not just an inner moulding ?
    One thing I can say for sure - I'm more than likely 100% wrong.

Ausfish Silver Member

AA Composites in Brisbane have a fabulous mail order service.
    Just let the postie bring everything you need.

Thanks giggyup, I'll definitely keep that option up my sleeve.