Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Ss75h or ss75m

  1. #1
    Ausfish Gold Member Dirtyfuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast

    Ss75h or ss75m

    anyone have experience with either these two trannys! would have loved to fit an ss175 but they are 150mm wide when you include the isolation ring and the keel is only 136mm,was also planning on fitting an inhull but because of the keel stringer I have been told that a section of that would have to be cut out to fit the box which is a big job upside down.so will be fitting a through hull 600w tranny in the pod instead that was modified to follow the hull, in hindsight I should have thought of this before modifying the pods!
    So these are my options
    1. (Preferred) fcv588 and m260
    2. Fcv 588 and b60 600w
    3.(recommended) furuno gp1971f or Garmin 95 and ss75h or m
    I max fish 100m for pearlies and the raymarine rv100 tranny is great in shallow but the bottom definition and separation is average at best past 50m
    iím not replacing the axiom I will be adding another screen as gets painful switching between screens, was thinking an axiom pro for the networking ability but a lot of cash to simply run a 600w tranny
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

  2. #2
    Ausfish Gold Member Dirtyfuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Thread Starter

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Couple of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

  3. #3

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Why not put the in hull to one side of the keel stringer?

    Cats can be problematic with transducer installation. Looking at the way your pods shape upwards from the keel line, there could well be issues as far as water flow is concerned.

    Wide angle transducers. If you are after definition - waste of time. Great for mid water fish finding but suffer from a phenomenon called "target masking" as far as bottom fish in the outer cone extremities. For a 25 degree cone angle, a sounder is physically incapable of displaying any fish life in the bottom 2.4 metres of the cone at it's extremity at a depth of 100 metres. If there is a lump within the cone angle coverage or a drop off, this figure will be greater. The reason is that the fish echo is further away from the transducer than the shallowest bottom echo - thus the target will obscured by the bottom on the display. They also round edges off giving a very exaggerated size (length wise) of any rise or fall because it is in the cone for so long. They will also make getting directly over small structure more difficult and thus catching fish if they are tight in and not coming off.

    From on water shots, I would also say that the bottom definition on chirp, (not definition between targets but the variation of the bottom type creating a variation of the display) isn't as good - particularly when it comes to picking hard and soft variation. It will certainly give far superior target separation as far as fish are concerned and some people are obsessed with fish arches which it is great for.

  4. #4

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Terry, I run a m260 on my setup and while it gives me a good idea in 120 metres (looks great to my mates) it still lacks definition of the bottom and whether I'm looking at a good show of fish. Generally with cats most end up getting their 1kw, these days 3kw transducers mounted in hull, with pods, and getting a proper fairing job done. Been out in a few cats the last 2 years (starting to wonder why I have my own boat, been mostly crewing). The results are significantly better. Generally in my boat I fish 35 to 150 m very occasionally 200m. Hope to do more this year as last 2 years have been slow due to crewing and daughter buying a house thst required extensive renos. I guess I'm saying go for a proper faired in hull job, definitely worth it. The other end well bit hard to go past the FCV588, when one of my units die it's probably what I'll go for.

    PS. I think there will be just be enough disturbance where the the pod joins the hull ti cause you problems at any speed if you put ghe transducer in the pod.

  5. #5
    Ausfish Gold Member Dirtyfuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Thread Starter

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Thanks guys, Scottar thatís what I though,cut the box as much as you can to suit angle then sika the gap or take the yellow box into somewhere and get it replicated but higher to give more plastic to cut for the angle! I also was concerned about the way the pods kick up also and where the pod joins the hull, when you talk about fairing for an inhull do you mean pocket mount?
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

  6. #6

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Yes. Fairings would be for wet faced transducers - either pocket mount or through hull. The two cats I have spent time on still don't get perfect readings at speed with pocket mounts in fairings after spending a fair bit on glass work. You will get better depth capability going through hull - rather than shoot through hull, but we ran shoot through hulls in Cruisecrafts and Haines boats for a lot of years without issue fishing up to 150 metres and only running 600 watts. Results will vary dependent on the individual hull and there is no way to know how well it will work in any particular boat until you try it. Variations in thickness and laminate quality can mean a shoot through hull simply won't work well in some hulls even though the next boat of the same type is fine. They are typically the easiest way to get a good reading at speed and it pretty easy to trial the transducer through use of a plastic bag or bilge with water in it.

    Your other option would be to look at a proper through hull transducer and simply make your own wet box. This is easiest done with a shatfted through hull but a transom mount will work just as well - just a bit more involved with the installation. This opens up the option of trialling with something like a cheap P66 before commiting to the more expensive transducer.

  7. #7
    Ausfish Gold Member Dirtyfuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Thread Starter

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Yes. Fairings would be for wet faced transducers - either pocket mount or through hull. The two cats I have spent time on still don't get perfect readings at speed with pocket mounts in fairings after spending a fair bit on glass work. You will get better depth capability going through hull - rather than shoot through hull, but we ran shoot through hulls in Cruisecrafts and Haines boats for a lot of years without issue fishing up to 150 metres and only running 600 watts. Results will vary dependent on the individual hull and there is no way to know how well it will work in any particular boat until you try it. Variations in thickness and laminate quality can mean a shoot through hull simply won't work well in some hulls even though the next boat of the same type is fine. They are typically the easiest way to get a good reading at speed and it pretty easy to trial the transducer through use of a plastic bag or bilge with water in it.

    Your other option would be to look at a proper through hull transducer and simply make your own wet box. This is easiest done with a shatfted through hull but a transom mount will work just as well - just a bit more involved with the installation. This opens up the option of trialling with something like a cheap P66 before commiting to the more expensive transducer.
    thanks Scottar, was a prominent north Brisbane installer who said the box is no good without cutting the stringer out and gave me the current recommendation but isnít returning any emails so might have thrown it in the too hard basket aswell 😂, now you have opened up another can of worms for me on building my own wet box and choosing what the best transducer for max 100m to put in it.
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

  8. #8
    Ausfish Gold Member Dirtyfuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Thread Starter

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    found a previous post where I had already asked which transducers would work and the CA50/200-1T seems to be the go or the b260,
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

  9. #9

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Best transducer is a bit of a funny one - with no real defined answer if you are really only wanting 100 metres.

    The B/m/tm260 will give the best bottom definition - but it has the narrowest cone so you really have to be right on top of your targets or run on 50 KHz which can be more noise prone.

    CA50/200-1T gives a bit better coverage but is a bit more involved as far as installation is concerned and needs the matching box.

    Best bang for buck IMO is the humble P66 for that depth range. For the price - what this little transducer is capable of is quite remarkable. Actually did a quick test run on a 5.2 KC with twin 90 Zukes. I had removed the transducer at the owners request so he could drop it deeper - at the same time he also fitted a transom wedge which made the angle look a bit off but it works like a champ. The run was to trial an in hull but we never got to it as the transom mount worked so well.

    20200524_135201.jpg20200524_141941_LI.jpg20200524_142000_LI.jpg

  10. #10
    Ausfish Gold Member Dirtyfuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Thread Starter

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Best transducer is a bit of a funny one - with no real defined answer if you are really only wanting 100 metres.

    The B/m/tm260 will give the best bottom definition - but it has the narrowest cone so you really have to be right on top of your targets or run on 50 KHz which can be more noise prone.

    CA50/200-1T gives a bit better coverage but is a bit more involved as far as installation is concerned and needs the matching box.

    Best bang for buck IMO is the humble P66 for that depth range. For the price - what this little transducer is capable of is quite remarkable. Actually did a quick test run on a 5.2 KC with twin 90 Zukes. I had removed the transducer at the owners request so he could drop it deeper - at the same time he also fitted a transom wedge which made the angle look a bit off but it works like a champ. The run was to trial an in hull but we never got to it as the transom mount worked so well.

    20200524_135201.jpg20200524_141941_LI.jpg20200524_142000_LI.jpg
    Ah yep thatís the exact same position I have the raymarine rv100 tranny at the moment, does he get much spray on the motor Having it that deep or does the pod stop most of it? I might just get a p66 and stick it in a bag of water and see how it looks in hull then try it on the transom
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

  11. #11

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Not that I noticed. The pod would protect the motor from spray and the other side probably just blended into the wash. The owner was happy with it in calm conditions before but any chop made the picture break up. We had small whitecaps today on the test run out behind Green with no picture break up evident at all. I think the biggest difference is the fact it's so deep.

  12. #12

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post

    pretty easy to trial the transducer through use of a plastic bag or bilge with water in it.

    simply make your own wet box. This is easiest done with a shatfted through hull but a transom mount will work just as well
    I did both of these things with my TM P66. Really happy with the result for bugger all outlay as I already had the transducer and the ply to make the wetbox.

  13. #13

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Deeper than I would recommend it for and no doubt on the transom rather than shoot through hull but pretty impressive for a 600 watt transom mount regardless

    https://www.facebook.com/mason.schul...7035389966630/

  14. #14
    Ausfish Gold Member Dirtyfuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Thread Starter

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Deeper than I would recommend it for and no doubt on the transom rather than shoot through hull but pretty impressive for a 600 watt transom mount regardless

    https://www.facebook.com/mason.schul...7035389966630/
    Yes I saw that post the other day, no doubt would have been stationary, my preference is to sound at speed over depth so if I can get a good reading at 50-100m at 24 knots I would be happy!
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

  15. #15

    Re: Ss75h or ss75m

    If you have a good install as far as water flow is concerned and no issues with noise, 150 metres is a walk in the park.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us