Thread: time to upgrade chart/plotter

time to upgrade chart/plotter

I'm currently using a Lowrance Elite 5, which is too small for split screen operation. I want to now upgrade to a 9", so I'm thinking about an Elite Ti2, or a Garmin 95sv, both around the $1500 +/-
    On the Lowrance, my old elite5 uses a navionics card, where as now, it's inbuilt with Cmaps, so is it worth purchasing a navionics card?
    Finally, is Humminbird still in the mix, don't hear much about them anymore?

Re: time to upgrade chart/plotter

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    I'm currently using a Lowrance Elite 5, which is too small for split screen operation. I want to now upgrade to a 9", so I'm thinking about an Elite Ti2, or a Garmin 95sv, both around the $1500 +/-
    On the Lowrance, my old elite5 uses a navionics card, where as now, it's inbuilt with Cmaps, so is it worth purchasing a navionics card?
    Finally, is Humminbird still in the mix, don't hear much about them anymore?
    Ericcs i have the Elite 9 Ti and it came with a Cmap card which i wanst too pleased with so purchsed a Navionics Card for it and am quite pleased with it for what i do Mapping with the Navionics gives good detail especially if one gets in and uploads the latest updates ..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Ericcs i have the Elite 9 Ti and it came with a Cmap card which i wanst too pleased with so purchsed a Navionics Card for it and am quite pleased with it for what i do Mapping with the Navionics gives good detail especially if one gets in and uploads the latest updates ..
    ok, so the cmaps is an actual card, like the navionics. Shame you didn't have the option at purchase time. Also, how much is the navionics card?

Have you had a look at the raymarine element hv 9 its close to the money you want to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    ok, so the cmaps is an actual card, like the navionics. Shame you didn't have the option at purchase time. Also, how much is the navionics card?
    I paid a hundred odd ??, for the Card covering Queensland only and apperantly only 12 months free updates though i thought i had more ??..
    But still good enough for where i Fish and prefer the Navionics to CMap..

ericcs

Talk to Gary at https://www.ssmarine.com.au/
    I got my Garmin from him and he knows his stuff and is really helpful and he is a longstanding AF er

Cheers
    Chimo

I have no commercial connection and don't get a kickback (which is a shame as it would be nice)
    What could go wrong.......................

I paid a hundred odd ??, for the Card covering Queensland only and apperantly only 12 months free updates though i thought i had more ??..
    Interesting ( I use Navionics Platinum) - A mate who is a Pro staffer for Lowrance sent me a message a couple of days ago to look at C MAP Reveal - his words

I suggest that you have a good look at the new C-map Reveal, its a good one better than the Navionics Plat,

Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yes Chris , believe it as each continuousely trying to outdo the other and does happen . Once it Navionics and then it C-Map. Guess it depends when you are buying and whos in the lead for software ??..

interesting! i wonder if the nav card in my elite 5 will fit and work?

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    ericcs

Talk to Gary at https://www.ssmarine.com.au/
    I got my Garmin from him and he knows his stuff and is really helpful and he is a longstanding AF er

Cheers
    Chimo

I have no commercial connection and don't get a kickback (which is a shame as it would be nice)
    thanks chimo, will look into it. i have dealt with him a few years back when he was at the back of Curumbin!

Maybe something to consider i think the simrad models can be flush mounted as not to clutter your steering area imo flush mount looks that bit extra nicer and 'expensive look'

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Maybe something to consider i think the simrad models can be flush mounted as not to clutter your steering area imo flush mount looks that bit extra nicer and 'expensive look'

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    Flush mount the plotter and put the fish finder on the dash, I moved mine from the dash to flush mount and annoys me that I can’t see it from the back of the boat, hence getting another screen
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Garmin over the Lowrance . I threw my ti7 out . A humminbird 7 helix mega Si, is 1500 and better than both I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Flush mount the plotter and put the fish finder on the dash, I moved mine from the dash to flush mount and annoys me that I can’t see it from the back of the boat, hence getting another screen
    I built a small binnicle on top of the dash as I got tired of mounting/unmounting the sounder and plotter. I can still easily see them from the cockpit and they run cooler as the sun is not directly on them.