Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 68 of 68
  1. #61

    Re: Pie Warmer for the new boat

    Ok, now we've got the pie ovens sorted it's time to put in a pizza cooker. I was on a boat recently where the lady pulls out the pizza oven, about double the thickness of a pizza box, starts cutting up the toppings and by the time she's finished the oven is ready to go. It takes literally 4 mins per pizza once warmed up. This boat had a genny and an inverter etc but it was awesome. We had fresh calamari and sweetilp as entree being cooked on the BBQ,

  2. #62
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle

    Re: Pie Warmer for the new boat

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I was actually surprised how little heat came from the door on the travel buddy on a mates one .. & sure the insulated door would do a better job or so you'd think - then again the TB can run at 200 deg vs 180 + there is a constant run mode .

    Knowing that there isn't a big difference between them aside really from the insulated door & latch - I'd still expect the price to be significantly lower for the Chinese made Road Chef not $20-30 more. So that's just a price gouge from the ex employee.

    Anyhow - time will tell

    Chris
    Some real figures from old mate that tested them side by side tell a different story..

    I don't know whether its just the insulated door or the element as well but the Roadchef seems to heat up much quicker and stay nearly 20 % hotter...that translates to a lot less Ah used per cooking....

    BTW, originally the roadchef was cheaper so it does now seem like a price gouge...or maybe because to retrofit an insulated door and catch makes the prices about on par...

    In the big scheme of things we will all be enjoying hot pies or whatever so alongside my baitboard and clears its one of the best additions to my boat by far..

    travel buddy.JPG

  3. #63

    Re: Pie Warmer for the new boat

    If you like home made sausage rolls, check out the recipe from Jase at ALL4Adventure.

    Ive made them quite a few times and cooked them at home on my Weber Q. Simple quick and tasty.

    They always get the thumbs up from the crew.

    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

  4. #64
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle

    Re: Pie Warmer for the new boat

    Geez sausage rolls with bacon and cheese..yummo..!

    So because it is a pretty slow process to cook frozen food I'm just curious as to what battery setup are people using to run an appliance that draws about 10 amps..?

  5. #65
    Ausfish Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kalbarri, WA

    Re: Pie Warmer for the new boat

    I have a Travel Buddy. The smaller one. Fits in well on the boat as per the photo. They pull 6 amps, the larger one pulls 9 amps. They will heat a cold pie to mouth burning in 45 minutes. Frozen will take over an hour. We use it with pre-cooked meals when we camp out, do the meal in a foil container with a cardboard top. Spag Bol, curry, whatever. I've had it for two years--6 amps is taxing most cigarette lighter outputs, regardless of what they say, problems can arise, so I fitted an andersen plug to mine, stays plugged in, supply controlled by a mini-isolator--you can't see this in the pic, I've upgraded that since the pic was taken. I have had one problem with it--the timer packed it in, it still worked, wouldn't cut off on timer. it was replaced under warranty. I spoke to the bloke who builds them--he said the timer was the only thing that ever failed, and then only rarely, but he did admit they were better off hard wired or via an andersen plug rather than a cigarette lighter plug. But a cigarette lighter plug will fit anything, so that's what he fits.
    Mine is secured by two ss self tappers onto the base, easy to remove if I want to take it in the ute.



  6. #66

    Re: Pie Warmer for the new boat

    Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Some real figures from old mate that tested them side by side tell a different story..

    I don't know whether its just the insulated door or the element as well but the Roadchef seems to heat up much quicker and stay nearly 20 % hotter...that translates to a lot less Ah used per cooking....

    BTW, originally the roadchef was cheaper so it does now seem like a price gouge...or maybe because to retrofit an insulated door and catch makes the prices about on par...

    In the big scheme of things we will all be enjoying hot pies or whatever so alongside my baitboard and clears its one of the best additions to my boat by far..

    travel buddy.JPG
    I saw the retrofitted door vid (were both ovens set to 180 deg ? ) not sure if it is game changer when most of the time the TB will be in the back of the canopy & in use often when driving - so power draw isn't an issue . I guess if you were in really cold climates I'd be all over like a rash .

    I've ordered the retro fitted catch / tray / trivet & roof mount through Somerville metal works ( who do the insulated door cover) so now its a $380 oven oh & an andersson plug

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  7. #67
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle

    Re: Pie Warmer for the new boat

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I saw the retrofitted door vid (were both ovens set to 180 deg ? ) not sure if it is game changer when most of the time the TB will be in the back of the canopy & in use often when driving - so power draw isn't an issue . I guess if you were in really cold climates I'd be all over like a rash .

    I've ordered the retro fitted catch / tray / trivet & roof mount through Somerville metal works ( who do the insulated door cover) so now its a $380 oven oh & an andersson plug

    Chris
    Not sure Chris..all of our cooking so far has been with the knob turned full on...unkess you are slow cooking then most will be cooked at max temp...

    The missus just got some spare ribs which we aim to try and slow cook so hopefully that turns out OK..

    I'm not sure if you are on FB , if so there is a travel buddy page and a similar but less judgemental Roadchef TB copy page where people share some of their yummy dishs to give you some great ideas..

  8. #68

    Re: Pie Warmer for the new boat

    Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Not sure Chris..all of our cooking so far has been with the knob turned full on...unkess you are slow cooking then most will be cooked at max temp...

    The missus just got some spare ribs which we aim to try and slow cook so hopefully that turns out OK..

    I'm not sure if you are on FB , if so there is a travel buddy page and a similar but less judgemental Roadchef TB copy page where people share some of their yummy dishs to give you some great ideas..
    Thanks for the heads up - I'll certainty check em out .

    I don't know if I'd go all Neil Perry with the pie warmer - If I'm away camping .. I'm more likely to go camp oven to do a roast .

    How I see this being used is shove pies etc in when travelling or at the end of the day when I'm going to swag it at the boat ramp put lasagne on when I pull the boat out at the end of the day then dick around cleaning fish , tidying up the boat etc etc and then having a hot meal ready.

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us