Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pie Warmer for the new boat

Pie Warmer for the new boat

G'day folks - hope this is the right spot for this if not I do apologise.
    As the title suggests - Yea or Nay? What started out as a joke when thinking of internal layout for a new boat I was quickly reminded (and often) 'what about the pie warmer'. We have joked over the years of early morning runs out to the reef in a very cold centre console chasing snapper in winter and how good it would be to have a hot pie waiting when you get there. Things are getting close with the build which is another 6m centre console and again I am reminded by mates 'what about the pie warmer" Well putting it out there for discussion and opinion - What about a pie warmer? Has anyone got one, do they work does the pie resemble some sort of road kill by the time you open the door?
    Share your thoughts folks - they are not that expensive and if they seem a reasonable bit of kit I might have a genuine think about where it would go.
    Cheers folks,
    Troy

Re: Pie Warmer for the new boat

You can't fit them under your cowling some were around the motor other wise there's a 12 volt food warmer I've seen for cars if it's down the back of the boat they should not get too mushed up .

This thread is old now but a bit of oven/pie warmer talk on page 6

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...highlight=oven

Cheers Matt

Better off with a charcoal battery operated grill make a few Souvlakia or Chiftalla when you get there lol...More healthy eating at least ..

You wouldn't own a boat these days without a 12v oven in it, they are the best things ever.

Do these ovens take longer in winter to cook the food? I like the idea i seen a few weeks back coal in a aluminium baking dish the throw away types and u cook meat over the top of it

Warm food on a boat is about as good as a ice cold drink in summer

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

This is the fancy version

http://www.12-24voltovens.com.au/travel-buddy-12-volt-marine-oven/

But Jaycar and eBay have plenty for $50.00. Is the travel buddy 5 times better????

They draw plenty of amps so you would need to make sure you had the power.

Not so keen on lighting a coal fire in a trailer boat.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    This is the fancy version

http://www.12-24voltovens.com.au/travel-buddy-12-volt-marine-oven/

But Jaycar and eBay have plenty for $50.00. Is the travel buddy 5 times better????

They draw plenty of amps so you would need to make sure you had the power.

Not so keen on lighting a coal fire in a trailer boat.

Matt
    Get one for the big GT mission up north

https://www.bbqspitrotisseries.com.a...ouvlaki-kebabs
    Better appease the hunger this way and make the Fishing Trip a lot more comfy , stomache wise anyway..

And a doz or so home grown Heirloom Tomatos help digest all that meat ..

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Get one for the big GT mission up north
    Why do you think I had the link so close at hand?

Would I need to bring my own battery? Does that then qualify as a galley and do we need to bring the kitchen nazi?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by scroman View Post
    G'day folks - hope this is the right spot for this if not I do apologise.
    As the title suggests - Yea or Nay? What started out as a joke when thinking of internal layout for a new boat I was quickly reminded (and often) 'what about the pie warmer'. We have joked over the years of early morning runs out to the reef in a very cold centre console chasing snapper in winter and how good it would be to have a hot pie waiting when you get there. Things are getting close with the build which is another 6m centre console and again I am reminded by mates 'what about the pie warmer" Well putting it out there for discussion and opinion - What about a pie warmer? Has anyone got one, do they work does the pie resemble some sort of road kill by the time you open the door?
    Share your thoughts folks - they are not that expensive and if they seem a reasonable bit of kit I might have a genuine think about where it would go.
    Cheers folks,
    Troy
    Troy, they are great to have, they do take time to warm up and do draw some power. I recall testing it once, something like 16 amps at start up for about 30 secs then drops down rather rapidly to only and amp or so. I use them on day trips as well as overnighters, for day trips I just put a couple of party pies or other goodies wrapped in alfoil and it's best when travelling or doing drifts and doing some travelling.

For overnighters I find that the best thing to do is prepare beforehand, I use the small Alum trays with a lid and fill them with roast beef, Pork etc, easily obtainable at the supermarket already cooked, just slice them up add some mushroom sauce and they are ready to go. It's also best if you don't have lots of battery power at your disposal to have your pie warmer running while still travelling. In our case it is usually at least half an hour to or from where we are fishing to where we are spending the night. For brekky, I make up bacon and egg wraps (I use baking paper to roll them up for storage as alum foil sticks to them and as I'm usually the first up I put them in the warmer and 40 mins later they are nice and hot, the only question I ask is "do you want tomato or BBQ sauce with that".

Yes they do take time but you can make some really easy meals before hand to use, just your imagination is required. If you aren't using the motor much there can be a draw on your batteries but timing is the key and the crew have yet to complain.

Cheers Sam

Bought a 12v hot water kettle from BCF or somewhere or other for the Van and chucked it in the bin at days end for the time it took to warm the bugger ey , Pie Warmer might be the same ???..
    BUT!!?? Can you imagine being out on the Briney , Flat Seas , Glassed out Night , Stars overhead , Cold Tinny at hand and a charcoal Souvla rotating with ample Golden Crispy Pieces of Lamb skewing ?? , Or maybe a whole Wabbit on the skewer instead ..
    Just a thought make those trips more memorable ..

Volvo, can be done. I still think the pie warmers are the best $50 spent on my boat.

If you get one, don't get the Road Chef, I just pulled mine apart to re-connect the shit wiring job, 6months old and I couldn't be bothered with going through the crap of the warranty.
    Get the travel buddy I haven't heard of any issues with them.