Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pie Warmer for the new boat

Re: Pie Warmer for the new boat

Yep, I agree with Sam, best money I have spent on my boat also. I wouldn’t go out now without it.

Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Oh, I forgot Volvo, I also git one of those 12 volt water kettles 30 mins later some water just hot enough for 2 very small cups of coffee and the power required was humongous. Took it back fir a refund.

I've thought about one of those travel Buddy's ...... Apparently they are very good & robust according to people I've spoken to about them . Aside from pies …. lasagne in those foil trays goes pretty good

I dont know if I would have one running when travelling out in bumpy seas though - but yeh a calm water session somewhere ….. like fishing for hairtail on a winters night on the Hawkesbury river would be pretty darn good.
    Hey I'm spewin …. I had a chance a couple of years ago to pick one up - brand new for $130. I just couldn't see how I could use it on my Seajay side console at the time .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Oh, I forgot Volvo, I also git one of those 12 volt water kettles 30 mins later some water just hot enough for 2 very small cups of coffee and the power required was humongous. Took it back fir a refund.
    I recently bought a decent thermos "Thermos brand" …… It's still boiling hot at 12 hrs & hot at 24 (if you haven't used any water) I was carrying a portable butane burner

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris, I made a small shelf with some brackets that allow me to sit the pie warmer behind the seat, gone through some very ordinary seas with it and certainly appreciated the contents afterwards. And yes, lasagne is very suitable for them.

I fitted a Roadchef (Travelbuddy copy) into the top of my seatbox and cut an opening to access the door....The Road chef and now Kickass ($200) are Chinese copies of TB (which itself is all Chinese but assembled in Bendigo,Australia)..the Chinese copies are actually better than the TB because they have insulated doors and a latch to keep the door closed when underway in a boat...even in ordinary conditions I haven't had a problem with heating whilst underway

I think it runs at about 8-9 amps and takes 1.5-2 hrs to properly heat and crisp frozen pies...you can also do smaller roasts in it which takes 5-6 hours or so I am told....

As Dignity mentioned they are perfect for pre-prepared foods and homemade pies, pasties, sausage rolls, spring rolls, lasagne, pizza..

My missus also puts leftover curries and casseroles into foil baking trays and freezes them for an easy meal..

If you are real keen you can whip up some muffins or a cake too...lol..

If you look around you can find various depth baking trays and dishs for various purposes...

If you search on FB you will find a couple of sites which will give you plenty of mouthwatering ideas....

Its the best thing I have ever fitted to my boat...the smell of a cooking curry or gourmet pie out on the water is just divine...the only thing that could possibly pip it is frying bacon and eggs on a BBQ or gas or fuel cooker...that's my next project..

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I recently bought a decent thermos "Thermos brand" …… It's still boiling hot at 12 hrs & hot at 24 (if you haven't used any water) I was carrying a portable butane burner

Chris
    yeah the missus bought me a 2l Thermos "carafe" with a plastic pour spout, which I originally laughed at, but its turned out to keep water hotter for much longer than my old traditional style thermos..its often still near scalding the next morning...I use one of those aerosol canister burners as well but I need something better and safer ..

G'day Sam - yeah I noticed the Amp draw I was thinking of having them nearly room temp by the time I got to the ramp and then bung them in all being wired to the second battery and hopefully the alternator on the 200 will keep the battery topped up when I get out there. I bit the bullet on one of the cheap Jaycar ones yesterday and will run a few timing checks and tests in the ute first that way I havn't blown a heap of tackle money on a nice stainless model that draws almost as much!
    Cheers,
    Troy

Sounds bloody awesome - nice work!!

Troy, I would love a Travel Buddy but room prevails and had to settle on the small cheap version. As Disorderly mentioned you can find that you can achieve some very decent meals with a little beforehand preparation and thought on how you use your power ie running the motor. The other thing is that all my cutlery and plates are disposable bamboo as they are firmer than most plastic and just a light and a more sustainable way to go.

Nagg/Disorderly, I'll try your thermos out a in the past been a little disappointed with others I've tried. Up until now it's been iced coffee with the bacon and egg wraps for breakfast, although often eaten while travelling it's probably safer there are times when we're not and it would be great to have a hot coffee to warm the innards and hands on those cool mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    yeah the missus bought me a 2l Thermos "carafe" with a plastic pour spout, which I originally laughed at, but its turned out to keep water hotter for much longer than my old traditional style thermos..its often still near scalding the next morning...I use one of those aerosol canister burners as well but I need something better and safer ..
    Which model mate ??..

Hi Volvo..its this one here...I thought it was ridiculous when she bought it....its just stainless steel with a plastic pourspout…

https://www.amazon.com.au/Thermos-Ge...79545382&psc=1

I also have one of these which is great to keep tea very hot but if you want to drink it straight away you need to leave the top off for a while to make it not scalding enough to actually drink..

https://www.snowys.com.au/stainless-...ntent=Products

I think the secret to them is to keep them near full if you want them to remain hot for a long period so if doing an overnight trip it would be beneficial to have 2 as one could be left full and still be hot the next morning...but my experience is only in the tropics so keep in mind even during winter I'm not normally fishing or camping much below 15-20 degree minimums .

I also have a Chinese copy of a regular thermos which is just rubbish..it doesn't stay hot even in the summer..

and just bought a Dometic 750mm 12v kettle so we will see how that goes in the winter...I really hate lukewarm tea..

I had a flask sitting in my kitchen cuboard at the house i grew up in it would have been from the late 80's i never used it untill about 6 years ago it was a glass internal flask coated with silver paint or something that thing was so bloody hot after hours on the water but it made my hot milo taste funky after all those hours it was accidently dropped in the sink so i threw it out

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Troy, I would love a Travel Buddy but room prevails and had to settle on the small cheap version. As Disorderly mentioned you can find that you can achieve some very decent meals with a little beforehand preparation and thought on how you use your power ie running the motor. The other thing is that all my cutlery and plates are disposable bamboo as they are firmer than most plastic and just a light and a more sustainable way to go.

Nagg/Disorderly, I'll try your thermos out a in the past been a little disappointed with others I've tried. Up until now it's been iced coffee with the bacon and egg wraps for breakfast, although often eaten while travelling it's probably safer there are times when we're not and it would be great to have a hot coffee to warm the innards and hands on those cool mornings.
    I've bought 2 or 3 others … including a Stanley & they were crap

I rolled the dice & bought another a few months back …… the new black "Thermos brand" - excellent ….. Anaconda have them (they even state 24 hrs to keep hot on the side

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

This is the Thermos I bought ...... The 24 hrs got me hooked & if it didn't it was going back

Thermos.jpg
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO