Thread: Nearly lost it

Nearly lost it

Went out for some well earned isolation fishing therapy yesterday.
    Great day out but a few toothy bust offs , various reef fish but nothing caught worth throwing in the esky.
    I was fishing on some reef out from Barron Heads and the anchor got hung up upon retrieval.
    Tricky with a stuck anchor and a 2 meter swell on top.
    Anyway I swung the boat around and the anchor came loose. Happy days.
    Giving the tub a proper clean today I saw this,,

Anyway all tightened up.
    But I was secretly hoping I did lose the anchor because this one doesn’t fall out of the sprit without a nudge.
    Long story short - long ago I cut the tabs off the anchor that are meant to stop the anchor in the bow sprit because they were a bit short from new and the tabs would wedge in the bow sprit loop. After a few times out on the water with a stuck anchor in the bow sprit I tried cutting off the tabs. So now the anchor gets pulled too far into the sprit and won’t drop forward upon deployment.
    Not so short I guess.
    I’ll get a new/different anchor soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Nearly lost it

That doesn't look good Jamie, must have a wee peek how mine is set up, ( lonestar winch and bowrail etc)..
    Easy fix but....

Col

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    That doesn't look good Jamie, must have a wee peek how mine is set up, ( lonestar winch and bowrail etc)..
    Easy fix but....

Col
    Yeah Col, I remember checking all the bolts after the first few outings - years ago, and a few had come/worked loose. Back then I put some loktite on the threads. I think the anchor hooking up on the reef might have worked it loose.
    Funny/lucky part is I used the anchor another few times after that and it’s still there.
    Next boat present might be a decent pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a huge fan of those swivel gizmos, I have seen quite a few broken, they are just not strong enough, they do look pretty though.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not a huge fan of those swivel gizmos, I have seen quite a few broken, they are just not strong enough, they do look pretty though.
    And I didn't find that they removed any line twist significantly enough, after i ended up losing the anchor through the rope fraying at some point I figured just replacing the anchor and chain was costly enough so went back to shackles with an eye in the pin secured with a bit of solid copper wire. It's
    amazing how long that copper wire lasts, I just checked the anchor on the tinnie and it's been there 10 years now and it's still there, thought I'd replace it, shouldn't have bothered it was still solid.