Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I replace this fuel hose?

Should I replace this fuel hose?

Calling for expert advice again.Noticed surface crazing/cracking on the exterior fuel hose connected to filter today. Boat and motor will be five years old come August so motor fitout is still under warranty. Boat is stored under cover when not in use. Both bends have same appearance on the surface exposed to sunlight.
    Thanks in advance. SS
    20200516_140731.jpg

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Should I replace this fuel hose?

yes replace it

Thanks Steve. Makes common sense. I was not sure if this is a common problem with fuel lines exposed to the elements. I have limited power boating experience and was somewhat shocked to see this level of deterioration after 270 hours. Cheers SS.

Not too sure the dealer will be too thrilled about replacing something under warranty that is a result of exposure to weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not too sure the dealer will be too thrilled about replacing something under warranty that is a result of exposure to weather.
    No, I don't think I will have much sway with a warranty replacement. I was wondering whether there is a product that I could cover the replacement hose to protect from a repeat occurrence. Any ideas Noelm?

Hi seastrength

Perhaps replace the fuel hose and slip a length of suitably sized white hose over top to keep the UV at bay?
    You can always replace the cover hose as needed while keeping the fuel hose in good condition.
    eg https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/sa...-38mm/p/TPE310

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    No, I don't think I will have much sway with a warranty replacement. I was wondering whether there is a product that I could cover the replacement hose to protect from a repeat occurrence. Any ideas Noelm?

You could get a short piece of hose and split it lengthwise and stretch it over or get a larger size and slide it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually replace my tinnie hose every 3 years or so as they are exposed to the sun and buy the best I can. I cut them open after and am often amazed how degraded they can be inside.
    Just cover your exposed hose with a bit of black slit electrical conduit, fairly cheap and flexible.
    Also I would think the hose would come under "consumables".

The question you might have is

Was that hose that is failing actually the good quality marine rated fuel hose that it should have been....
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I just noticed it's got a stainless hose clamp but with a steel "worm" screw to tighten it, that screw will rust and fail, leaving you with an air leak, buy proper hose clamps with stainless screws.

might want to consider if UV degradation is happening there what else is degrading on the boat

it might be time for a cover of some sort

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    might want to consider if UV degradation is happening there what else is degrading on the boat

it might be time for a cover of some sort
    Good thinking Steve. However, boat has been undercover since day 1. I think Moonlighter and Noelm are on the right track. At handover, I asked the builder to relocate the fuel filter to the transom so I could store my rods under the gunnels when underway. I recall the change was made using leftover materials from the workshop. Now wondering if non-marine grade hose and clamps were used in a hurry. Will discss this possibility with the builder next week. Thanks everyone for their input. Cheers SS.

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    Calling for expert advice again.Noticed surface crazing/cracking on the exterior fuel hose connected to filter today. Boat and motor will be five years old come August so motor fitout is still under warranty. Boat is stored under cover when not in use. Both bends have same appearance on the surface exposed to sunlight.
    Thanks in advance. SS
    20200516_140731.jpg

Update on the current situation. After further inspection, the hose is cracked along the entire length from fuel tank to the filter and will need complete replacement. I am advised that the damage is due to "the high percentage of aromatics in Australian fuel compared with other countries causing internal contraction stresses in the tubing" rather than UV degradation. Has anyone else heard of this cause? Apparently there have been a number of boats built around this time (2015) with similar fuel hose problems. The national distributor is recommending replacement with alternative product brand. The boat builder is attempting to get the hose replacement under a warranty claim from the distributor on my behalf. Given the extent of the problem, I would suggest other owners of boats built around 2015 check their fuel hoses for similar problems. SS

How long is the piece of hose in question ?
    just replace it yourself and be free if the hassle

there are multiple types of hoses and associated quality and pricing
    ethanol will destroy some hoses quickly and could have easily mistaken a coloured pump for the wrong fuel at a service station

I’ve had issues with my two classic cars and fuels eating reproduction fuel lines when trying to keep it looking origional. Now I just put the right material for the job in

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    How long is the piece of hose in question ?
    just replace it yourself and be free if the hassle

there are multiple types of hoses and associated quality and pricing
    ethanol will destroy some hoses quickly and could have easily mistaken a coloured pump for the wrong fuel at a service station

I’ve had issues with my two classic cars and fuels eating reproduction fuel lines when trying to keep it looking origional. Now I just put the right material for the job in
    Hi Steve
    The hose is about 4 metres long. I have only used 91 Shell low aromatic petrol with recommended fuel doctor additive. The previous hose was a no name marine grade Chinese brand. The builder has recommended replacement with Mako marine fuel hose from USA with 2 year warranty. Hoping this will last longer. SS