Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 60hp 4 stroke winner goes too?

Re: 60hp 4 stroke winner goes too?

The whole in English bit is a bit condescending

Wasn't meant to be so sorry if it seemed that way.

I don't follow industry terms very well ('cos I'm not in the industry) and need to follow things in plain simple language that I can understand. The "english" was for my benefit not yours.

I just bought another boat so I did a lot of looking around at hulls and motor combinations mindful of the "the amount of crap people add to boats along with drivers could be 50kg or 150kg".

For what its worth I not only agree with that but think the stuff that the motor has to push around is probably a lot more.

But the starting point was the the combined weight of the bare hull and motor. There had to be a way of comparing them so I made one up based on that.

Then I thought about the extra "crap" that I usually carry and factored that in separately.

To give a reference point, I used the performance of my old 4.45 Seajay with its 40hp outboard.

Once I got some results, the choice was pretty easy so I went out and got it.

I made up a little calculator to do the sums for me and the result was in kg/hp. How many kgs did each 1hp of engine have to push around?

Attachment 121375

I also thought about the performance of that big cat with different props. We had 2 spare props (1 for each engine) and picked which type needed to be on depending on the job. If it was a recovery/tow job the lower pitch props were put on. Other wise all round props. Only took a minute to change before we hit the water.

Mindful of THAT pointed me towards the hi-thrust Yammie with its matching gearbox. To do that I knew that I was sacrificing top speed but that was OK. What I ended up with was OK for me but geez can it get out of the hole quickly.

The screenshot of the calculator was very helpful in making the decision and needed only a few inputs to provide an answer instead of hurting my head in trying to remember it all.

If you want a working copy of it, send me a pm with your e-mail a/d and I'll send it. Its protected against accidents so you can't hurt it.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread.

The old boy has a 75 honda with BLAST. Once the lean burn programme hits at around 4200 rpm i think it might almost put fuel back into the tank. Low down torque is also v good.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Thanks for all the input. Clearly there is no straight up winner for this one.
    Every brand seems solid and has it's pros and cons and as a few said earlier than it would probably come down to who has the best serviceability (ie reputation ect)
    Think I'm leaning towards Honda, seems to be the newest release of all the motors but would happily be proven wrong if in fact I'am.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mate,
    I don’t think you’ll be upset with any of the donks available in the 60HP range. I think, as others have stated. it would be advantageous to have service/warranty plans in place if shit hits the fan.

I just upgraded from a Etec 130 to a 150 Yamaha from Northside Marine (who I recommend highly) because Downes marine, who serviced my Etec, closed their doors. Don’t know why they shut up shop but they were the only one I trusted to service my Etec.