Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 60hp 4 stroke winner goes too?

Re: 60hp 4 stroke winner goes too?

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    The Honda has VTEC giving it the advantage in the upper end of the RPM range and was released with lean burn and BLAST technology, I would pit it against the Yamaha F70 any day
    Thanks. Do you know what year this technology was released? and do you mean you would pit the Honda 60 against the Yam 70 anyday?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Did I miss a post???
    edited post to make sense

I have never tested it properly as far as speed goes, next time out I will give it a go, but I reckon it would be close.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    The Honda has VTEC giving it the advantage in the upper end of the RPM range and was released with lean burn and BLAST technology, I would pit it against the Yamaha F70 any day
    Power to weight goes to the Yammi

The F70 is a awesome motor

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Very light motor, my mate just recently repowered a little Haines centre console from a 70hp 2 stroke to a 70 Yamaha 4 stroke (his choice was decided by motor weight, not brand) and the Yamaha beats the 3 cylinder 2 stroke in every way, including pulling kids on "toys"

Honda 60hp 998cc 110kg 73x79.5mm bore/stroke

Yamaha 70hp 996cc 119kg 65x75mm bore/stroke

Gotta say i cant ever recall coming across a Yamaha with aluminium corrosion

Both engines above have similar features

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Honda 60hp 998cc 110kg 73x79.5mm bore/stroke

Yamaha 70hp 996cc 119kg 65x75mm bore/stroke

Gotta say i cant ever recall coming across a Yamaha with aluminium corrosion

Both engines above have similar features

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    i know of a guy on the Sunshine Coast that had two F60’s that rotted out quite quickly due to not flushing them long enough after each trip. I had the same engines and was told about it when I bought the boat and used to run them for 30 minutes a side each trip and I had no issues over a longer period.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hello Fisherfriend

Have you had a look at the 60 hp Yamaha 4 stroke motor with the Hi-Thrust prop and gearbox?

Possibly a lower pitch prop for grunt rather than top speed but it comes with a upgraded gearbox to handle load.

Gets up out of the hole very quickly and easily at take-off and (once up) easy to back revs off to cruise at about 40 kph on river here. Top speed on this gearbox/prop arrangement about 55kph.

With slop/chop around, very few of the alloy boats suitable for 60hp get a comfortable ride anyway so top speed really doesn't matter. I used to drive a 8.8 al rescue cat with twin big o/boards ( Bundy Rum) that had a top speed of 46 knots in the Burnett River. Good top speed but couldn't/wouldn't do anything like that safely outside even when in a hurry. On a glassout day maybe 40 knots but not many problems on glassout days.

Getting up easily and then just cruising comfortably at 35 - 40 khp is exactly what I was looking for in a 4.4m tiller steer boat.

Might be worthwhile considering.

High thrust motor on a 4.4 that's so stupid Ronje1 more transom weight with bigger leg more drag that must be the mentality of punt owners up your way ,just dumb thinking.

Fisherfriend it's honda or suzuki for me got a suzuki ,thinking about upgrading too a Honda 60 for the gear ratio for optimum crusing speed around 20knot that's what you should be looking for honda 2.07 suzuki 2.27 for the same size prop roughly,I think the honda is more economical at cursing speed or around 4000rpm ,both have lean burn technology .

the high thrust 60 only adds 10kg insignificant comes to mind and the gearing offsets the drag which would also be two fifths of bugger all
    the high thrust boxes also run a different prop that gives more reverse thrust as well

heavy beamy or boats loaded with gear for extended trips camping gear etc is where ive seen em used apart from work boats

You are right about the different prop. They don't fit a normal F60 motor.

Tell me about the insignificant 10kg and also "gearing offsets the drag". What's that all about in english?

Well let us know what you think on the matter

I said what I said your the only one getting riled up by it

there’s 9kg difference just between the different brands for a 60hp so yes it’s insignificant

Who's getting riled up?

I'm trying to learn something from you.

Does the 9kg mean a difference in weight of the motor to other brands? Is that what you're saying?

The whole in English bit is a bit condescending

the amount of crap people add to boats along with drivers could be 50kg or 150kg 10 kg means very little on a modern tinny as the beams are wider then in the past

and yes ignoring the tohatsu there’s nearly 10kg spread between the brands so I wouldn’t worry about 10kg being a deal breaker or even giving a noticeable performance difference

I thiught the high thrust outboards gave more tourqe at the prop and that’s why they can swing that funky prop for accelerating big loads and just as importantly stopping them
    the gear case between the two isnt that much wider and the extra tourqe would negate it