Thread: Penn Slammer 3 info

Penn Slammer 3 info

I’m being cautious and restraining myself from just ripping the reel open, any experience or help is appreciated.
    I’m aware that there are various “special” seals incorporated into reels these days so before I start pulling it apart - should I just leave it alone ?
    Since I got this reel brand new the clicker has never worked so I just thought it didn’t have one ?
    Going by the attached drawing i recently found it should have a clicker see item 47,48,49. Hopefully the details are legible.
    I’m hoping for an easy fix - Like the clicker spring just might have dislodged. Wishful.
    I’ve obviously cleaned and rinsed the reel many times but never opened it up or undone the spool.
    Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Penn Slammer 3 info

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    I’m being cautious and restraining myself from just ripping the reel open, any experience or help is appreciated.
    I’m aware that there are various “special” seals incorporated into reels these days so before I start pulling it apart - should I just leave it alone ?
    Since I got this reel brand new the clicker has never worked so I just thought it didn’t have one ?
    Going by the attached drawing i recently found it should have a clicker see item 47,48,49. Hopefully the details are legible.
    I’m hoping for an easy fix - Like the clicker spring just might have dislodged. Wishful.
    I’ve obviously cleaned and rinsed the reel many times but never opened it up or undone the spool.
    Jamie

Remove the spool and have a look, it should be on the bottom of spool, no seals will be broken.

Hi Evo, now if this was a Pre 1950 Penn reel, I'd be all over it
    Google will be your friend here, I' sure one of the Guru's would have don a breakdown on the slammer, see what you can find.
    If not message me, i'll put you onto a place which there should be plenty of discussion on it..

Col

Thanks dignity and blacklab I’ll have a look tomorrow maybe later.
    I just wasn’t sure, if I do start pulling it apart - knowing what I’m like I’ll just keep going. I didn’t want to compromise any seals. I’ll pull the spool of maybe later and have a gander.

Evo you unscrew the drag until it appears it is just not going to go any further then just pull the spool and drag up, the clicker will be underneath the spool. You will have the reel body with the shaft in place with the cog and nut keeping it all in place. If you have a bit of innox reel grease (a drop of marine bearing grease also works)put it on the tip of the shaft, just enough to lube the drag nut only.

Thanks Dignity will do, and let you know what eventuates.
    I'm keen to get onto it but right now I've just sat down for the night after smashing through some brownie point jobs - so Sunday is my day for Fishing.
    Let me say this, I've spent most of this arvo and tonight stuffing around with an 82 inch TV, on and off the wall installing power point, moving antenna outlet, painting wall to suit new cabinet, "somebody" doesn't like the tilt angle of the to wall bracket,,, and that's just the start of the bracket debacle,,,
    I'm so looking forward to Sunday. And I'll have a look at the reel in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Thanks Dignity will do, and let you know what eventuates.
    I'm keen to get onto it but right now I've just sat down for the night after smashing through some brownie point jobs - so Sunday is my day for Fishing.
    Let me say this, I've spent most of this arvo and tonight stuffing around with an 82 inch TV, on and off the wall installing power point, moving antenna outlet, painting wall to suit new cabinet, "somebody" doesn't like the tilt angle of the to wall bracket,,, and that's just the start of the bracket debacle,,,
    I'm so looking forward to Sunday. And I'll have a look at the reel in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Been there, done that, and they wonder why we've got to go to the hardware store so often.

I hear you to Dignity.
    So I took off the spool and everything looks fine to me ?
    The clicker and spring are in place and move ok. The clicker wheel is fine.
    It just doesn’t seem to make much noise at all. I can hear it ticking now I’m at home in the garage. It’s more a muffled click.
    Not loud at all - Especially out on the water in the wind.
    Maybe my clicker expectations are too high ?