Thread: Shakespeare Bluewater v Ugly Stik Gold II

Shakespeare Bluewater v Ugly Stik Gold II

Hi all,

Quick question...

Shakespeare have a 5'6" 1 piece 24kg overhead rod in both their Bluewater series and Ugly Stik Gold II.

Both on special, but the Bluewater is cheaper - any idea on the difference?

Cheers,
    Shane

Re: Shakespeare Bluewater v Ugly Stik Gold II

Not sure if I can help you with the info that you are after but for what it's worth and what I have been told is that the Bluewater series components are a bit better/heavier built. I have 8 Ugly Sticks and only 1 of them is a Bluewater 24-37Kg 5'6" rod,4 are Tiger stiks and the rest Gold ones, the Bluewater one I put a a Makaira 30 2 speed reel with 150lb braid, tied the other end to the shed and put it in full drag using used a full harness (about 55lb of drag) and it put a nice bend on it, it actually quite surprised and impressed me, I was expecting it to bend considerable more with that amount of drag so lots of power in the blank. The guides seem to be the same as the Gold series I have, but mine don't say Gold 2 (so don't know what the difference is) between them. I am toying with the idea of replacing the Bluewater guides with SiC ones as I have a set spare lying around as the ones on my rod in my opinion are a little too low they seem to work but just look a little bit small for me.

As you are asking about the 24kg rod I would be inclined to go with the Bluewater rod, however you could ring up Pure Fishing (02-4351-7740 ?) and ask the guys there as they distribute Ugly Sticks. One thing that I would check when you buy the rod is that the guides are lined up properly with the backbone as I have seen some rods (from all the manufacturers) that the guides are off, and with a 24kg overhead rod you don't want it twisting under drag. Last thing, I think that the Blue water rods have a butt gimbal where as the gold series have a round cap on the bottom but again you would need to check.

Cheers
    Ed

Re: Shakespeare Bluewater v Ugly Stik Gold II

Thanks Ed. Yeah I have an 8-10kg and 10-15kg gold and they both have the round butt, the 24kg in the gold has the gimbal like the bluewater.

Going to pair it with a shimano torium 16hg for bottom/reef dropping - I'm sure both will do the job. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious in the comparison.

Cheers,
    Shane