Thread: Bait in the bay

Bait in the bay

Saw plenty of bait in the bay today of all sizes but nothing eating it ,I thought I saw some fish in the bait balls on the sounder but they were shags scooting through them getting a feed I worked out at least they showed me what the bait was big herring.

Re: Bait in the bay

Spread out or balled up? Any sign of macs under the ball ups?

That’s good. What bay in Australia would that be

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by hweebe View Post
    Spread out or balled up? Any sign of macs under the ball ups?
    No sign of any life under or on top.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    That’s good. What bay in Australia would that be

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums
    Sorry Shakey55 that would be Moreton bay just take it for granted ,every one lives in QLD these days.

down south i was trying to determine some large fish coming up like a wave lenght in tight formation chasing bait , pull downs and hard to hook , bait getting busted, was suspecting squid pulling down and leaving kinda like beak bites in the pilchards , finally ruling out the squids after getting bitten off , found out they were barracouta . they made excellent bait for the surf fishing on dawn , tailor went nuts on them

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Sorry Shakey55 that would be Moreton bay just take it for granted ,every one lives in QLD these days.
    And the top end of Moreton Bay is totally different from your end. I fish out ot Caloundra bar at times and this area is still considered as Moreton Bay in some circles. But if bait is around in the southern areas then the same probably is similar a bit further north.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    No sign of any life under or on top.
    Still some spotties and tuna around bait balls although surface water temperature has dropped to 22 degrees. Managed to boat two and dropped another this morning in the bay. Both caught on trolled hard body lures. SSClick image for larger version. 

Name:	202049133835.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	121327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	202041413552.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	121328

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    And the top end of Moreton Bay is totally different from your end. I fish out ot Caloundra bar at times and this area is still considered as Moreton Bay in some circles. But if bait is around in the southern areas then the same probably is similar a bit further north.
    Hi Dignity I did the rounds brible to redcliff to mud to tanga to curtain up to the second lagoon about 120ks.

@seastrength Do you mainly stick to trolling? What about spinning slugs?

Quote Originally Posted by hweebe View Post
    @seastrength Do you mainly stick to trolling? What about spinning slugs?
    Generally troll around bait or cast slugs at surface action.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app