Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deep-drop

Re: Deep-drop

Do you find the deep dwellers switch on and off the same as shallower species or affected by moon phases/tides etc?

Can you haul pots on the Trev? Be prime for Spanner crabs on the way back from out deep as well.

Yeah they can be very fickle
    There with lockjaw or biting their heads off
    Try and work with solunar tables - seems to align with better bite times etc
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Do you find the deep dwellers switch on and off the same as shallower species or affected by moon phases/tides etc?
    Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    They were certainly that way a couple of weekends ago. Departed 0530 in a mates rig - grand total till 1230pm - 1 eastern nanny fishing from 500 plus back into 250. Would have been very easy to call it quits (would have been a certainty without the winches). Then it was like someone flicked a switch - nothing of note when it comes to deep dropping but cod, flamies and a few other ooglies………..and a black spot pigfish out of left field up until about 3.30 when we shot through. It's hard to believe when you are in that depth over literal clouds of bait and bigger targets that nothing is hungry.

Hi Trevally whats the flesh like you do curries with it does it hold up like barra is it a meaty flesh and whats the flavor like.

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    I got silly last birthday and bought a fishing reel
    Haven't used it yet
    Presently using Miya Epoch X-9Attachment 121251

You would pull a mermaid up from 2500m that looks like a wobagong with that thing lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Hi Chris
    The flesh is firm and the flavour is mild
    I use the spine, wings and belly flaps for Thai green curry
    I boil the fish for an hour let it cool sufficient to remove the bones from the flesh
    I then use the stock for cooking organic brown rice with
    In the pot I have
    2 tins of mango cheeks diced
    Fish meat
    2 tins if diced tomatoes
    2 very heaped teaspoons of green Thai curry
    When cooked add 2 tins of coconut cream and simmer - do not boil
    To die for mate

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Hi Trevally whats the flesh like you do curries with it does it hold up like barra is it a meaty flesh and whats the flavor like.
    Cheers

Trev

The Blue Eye heads are quite valuable to the restraunts Trevor as they are full of meat and make fantastic stock so keep your heads for boiling up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Hi Chris
    The flesh is firm and the flavour is mild
    I use the spine, wings and belly flaps for Thai green curry
    I boil the fish for an hour let it cool sufficient to remove the bones from the flesh
    I then use the stock for cooking organic brown rice with
    In the pot I have
    2 tins of mango cheeks diced
    Fish meat
    2 tins if diced tomatoes
    2 very heaped teaspoons of green Thai curry
    When cooked add 2 tins of coconut cream and simmer - do not boil
    To die for mate

Hey Trev, been watching your posts re the deep drop. I used isolation up country and no fraser trip as an excuse to set myself up with a bit of 2nd hand stuff (tanacoms). Few last bits to sort and hoping to give the ooglies a crack in the next month or so. Do you use lights on your rigs??

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Blue Eye are sensational eating, not a "fishy" taste as such, but equal (I reckon way better) than any popular reef fish, including Red Emperor (in my opinion) check the price of Blue Eye in shops.

Hi Scott
    Yes mate I use lights
    Best place to get this stuff is from Birdy
    https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/leadersystemsaustralia
    Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    Hey Trev, been watching your posts re the deep drop. I used isolation up country and no fraser trip as an excuse to set myself up with a bit of 2nd hand stuff (tanacoms). Few last bits to sort and hoping to give the ooglies a crack in the next month or so. Do you use lights on your rigs??

Scott
    Cheers

Trev

Holy Crap Trev !!!! Nice fish. mate, well done. It was great to see you at Mooloolaba today mate.
    Living the dream, Barry

Hi Marty
    Thanks mate
    Looking forward to seeing you're new rig mate
    Reckon the wait will be worth it
    White Rhino II sorta thing
    Be great to catch up on a fishing trip somewhere some time
    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    Holy Crap Trev !!!! Nice fish. mate, well done. It was great to see you at Mooloolaba today mate.
    Cheers

Trev

Hey guys, wanting to get into deep drop fishing and looking to blow the wifes life savings again on setting myself up. What gear and where is the best place to get it all from. Located sunny coast if its of any convenience.

There's a multitude of places to get gear
    I have bought ebay from Japan for good prices
    But know of some people who have done really well locally by looking hard and being patient
    There are plenty to choose from about the Tanacom 1000 range if you are after a starter set-up
    Quote Originally Posted by boatrower View Post
    Hey guys, wanting to get into deep drop fishing and looking to blow the wifes life savings again on setting myself up. What gear and where is the best place to get it all from. Located sunny coast if its of any convenience.
    Cheers

Trev