Thread: Box trailer car topper

Box trailer car topper

Anyone recently bought a small tinny to flip upside on a 8x4 box trailer ?
    the local river is and has been for a year too low to put the renegade in without risking damaging the trailer or boat

some places it’s diff locks low range and a which around a tree to pull the boat back up the bank

so I’m thinking a small tinnie with a 5hp Yamaha to just push down the banks and pull up with a snatch strap to get it back out

It would only be the son and myself no need to stand up as we just bait fish until his casting gets a biit better at casting

hoping someone else has done it and can recommend a hull
    I like the quintrex 350 explorers but may be too big
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Box trailer car topper

Just some photos of the condition of the river
    normally a m of water over this height at the lowest it gets
    A1AD5AB4-5D5E-46A3-A1FB-A3B1832EE337.jpg

I used a tinnie like this for years. Will never go back unless it is the only option. Absolute PITA having to load and unload all the time. If you can pull the tailgates and build a frame so the boat sits upright I think it's heaps better. Any of the small barra punt designed as car toppers would be fine. Mine is a Savage Jabiru 3.5 - been replaced by a "Hawk" model. Good for two. Too small for three. As mine sees a bit of semi open water from time to time and runs a 15, I had a couple of extra ribs added.

It’s either 30-60mins to the Murrumbidgee or 2-2.5 hours to blowering or burrinjuck dams
    so I don’t really have a choice if I want to fish more often

just want to flip it over and push it down the dirt bank
    the 420 renegade is just a big heavy boat to be launching and retrieving
    the other issue is if it rains while your out it’s all clay Loam and the only way to get the boat back out is to skull drag the whole thing with a snatch strap up the bank

Should be able to handle an Explorer on your own unless you have a crook back. Have a look at some of the fold up or detachable wheel systems.

Will be the son there to help so it’s only 25kg each and that’s if we dead lifted it and didn’t balance it on the ground etc

I’ll take trailer down to the quinny dealer and just say what’s the biggest boat i can get home on that

What happens if you park the trailer wheels at the very end of the ramp and let the boat roll off Steve?

Hi fed
    it would be a half m drop from the rear roller to the water
    That is the closest ramp to me so most other launches are clay river banks

i wouldn’t want to be winching up at such a angle with the boat balancing in one keel roller even with a two speed winch It’s a pretty heavy boat
    also the river flows very hard constantly as what water there is is condensed to narrow channels

otherwise I’d just use a kayak
    Also just trying to avoid another trailer rego

Attachment 121197

If you are going to buy new, get them (Telwater) to do a few mods (they will) don't get any rails or bollards on it that stick up above the gunnel, because they will get caught sliding it on and off upside down, the front deck can also be made flat, instead of curved with that kind of extrusion across it, having the top sides completely flat will make getting it on and off so much easier.

it would be a half m drop from the rear roller to the water
    You must have the highest trailer in Australia but does that cause a problem?

i wouldn’t want to be winching up at such a angle with the boat balancing in one keel roller even with a two speed winch It’s a pretty heavy boat
    The back of the boat should still be floating until it goes over the balance point but by then 2/3rds of the boat is on.

the river flows very hard constantly as what water there is is condensed to narrow channels
    All the more reason to launch & retrieve 'dry'.

Seriously Steve I've been dragging boats over the back trailer rollers 'dry' all my life.
    (All boats way heavier than yours)
    It's no different than pulling them on from dry land if you're dumped the boat on the ground to do some trailer work.

Greased up rollers until the boat will roll off by itself and go for it.

Photos show my trailer setup it’s pretty normal
    the concrete ramp is 20-30cm clear off the water it doesn’t take much to make half a meter
    ive tried to do it, the rear roller is half way down the keel before it starts to rotate forward and takes a fair bit of effort

but as I’ve said it’s not just the ramp it’s pulling the boat out of dirt ramps and having to winch off
    trees to get up the incline
    in some case of heavy rain you wouldn’t get the boat or car out and the locals just drag the whole thing out with a snatch strap
    much smaller boats though A common size is a 3.8 with 15 or 25 hp

it’s not a massive drama just don’t want to retrieve that way anymore with the big boat
    ordered today a 350 outback and a 6hp Yamaha four stroke
    if too much hassle will get another trailer and cop the rego fee for the trailer

Yeah the last thing you want on your mind when you're fishing is ramp hassles.

I fished maybe 40 times last year and ten this year
    90 percent of the launches were dirt banks

the hilarious thing that happens is as the river is dam regulated for cotton irrigation it can raise or lower a m in 5-6 hours leaving boats sunk or nose high tied off to trees if not careful when camping

other thing is son gets his ps later this year and he can borrow this boat with his mates if need be and save him from wrecking my main boat