Thread: Golden Perch dam stocking question

Question Golden Perch dam stocking question

Hi guys, not being a freshwater fisho I am seeking advice on behalf of a mate.

He lives down Boonah ( SE Qld ) way on acreage and has 3 dams. A while ago ( a year or so ) he stocked 2 dams with 200 Golden Perch fingerlings... up to 65mm long.

He has noticed the weeds in the dams have been greatly reduced. There is an abundance of guppies in the dam, as well as tadpoles ( toads ), which are frequently removed.

I threw the cast net around these dams over the weekend and failed to get 1 perch ?

1 dam is 3 mtrs deep and say 17mtrs x 8mtrs... the other is almost twice as big and a little deeper.

My question / s are..........

Do you believe the fingerlings have survived ?

If no or yes...... why ?

How do we tell ? can we catch them on a hook ? bait type ?

Any input appreciated and if you have a question on details, please ask ?

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Golden Perch dam stocking question

You can use a bunch of worms on a hook to catch Yellas if they are still in there.
    If the water conditions were wrong they may have died or if the dams have overflowed they may all be gone.
    Yellas generally do well in dams so hopefully some have survived.

Phill,
    Not a bait fisho, but they do love live shrimp on very small weighted rig.
    Shawn

Do u have a source of oxygen to airate the pond? Like one of those industrial agitators

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Do u have a source of oxygen to airate the pond? Like one of those industrial agitators

No...... is that critical ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    You can use a bunch of worms on a hook to catch Yellas if they are still in there.
    If the water conditions were wrong they may have died or if the dams have overflowed they may all be gone.
    Yellas generally do well in dams so hopefully some have survived.

Yes, there was a flooding with rain, but mate was told they will swim against the flow ????

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    My grandfather had them in his cattle dams that were a similar size to the one you mentioned. We would catch them on set lines with the sinker on the hook with garden worms for bait. He bought fingerlings also but I’m not sure of the survival rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate sticked his dams and lost the lot to birds, herons seemed to appear in greater numbers, he was at Cooroy.

Surely they would need some sort of airation in the pond how would they breath oxygen from the water?

My brother put some in his dam years back - out the back of Kandanga. He subsequently never saw any activity and assumed the birds got them all. Couple years later I ran a small popper across the dam late one afternoon. Got smashed. Surprised us all. Maybe your mate should try that.

No. If it is healthy farm dam with plants around the edges and the occasional in-flow it should be fine unless it is stocked very heavily with fish. Plenty of farm dams have been stocked with things that get eaten by birds and plenty go the other way where you think nothing has survived until that day when you notice/catch something amazing.

Matt

Even a good hail storm can roll them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would imagine that if there is an abundance of guppies, the oxygen level of the water would be just fine. As for the yellas, hey would have taken care of the guppies. From that I would imagine the yellas swam off with the storm flow.