Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Trailer mover?

Trailer mover?

Still a while away from needing a dolly or a way of getting the boat into the new backyard

When i bought the big boat home 2 years ago this month it took me a good 30-40mins of several attempts to get it in my backyard the new house is all up hill so it is going to be even harder

Has anyone knocked a electric dolly together in 2-3 days something simple?

They sell winches on ebay with a sprocket good for pulling 1350kg could i just weld together a triangle frame 3 wheels 2 being off a trailer or mini moke or something, make it wide so the wheels will run up my driveway concrete paths for grip

The bought dollys are only good for 5-7 degrees incline and that is if u have a cement/concrete path under the wheel

My concern is damaging the gates on the property along with drainage pipes and the side of the house when reversing the boat

When i reversed the boat at this property now i almost knocked the fence down and i am very experienced in reversing trailers just trying to squeeze 6 meters long boat on trailer that is 2.2 meters wide thru gates that are 2.3 meters wide is much harder than your typical little tinny or dinghy

Whats your thoughts on a homemade dolly? I dont need another project not untill its needed i dont have a big funding either

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Trailer mover?

Be more trouble than it's worth trying to make some kind of mover in a couple of days, how steep is the drive way? Can you put the jockey wheel on and attach a winch to "something" in the back yard and which it up through the gate by hand? Can you temporarily remove the gate to make it wider? How much room is there in the back yard once you have it up there, enough to turn the trailer around by hand if you drove up forwards?

I installed a winch under my carport and with a hand held remote guide I just walked the boat up my driveway. I also had a towball mounted on the front of my Hylux and this setup was good as well as you can drive and steer your boat very easily, much better than trying to back it in.

Just adding to my other post, I also had the gates widened and I had the gates on hinges that I could lift the gates out of the hinges and get them out of the way.

Hey Noel that is a good idea i could just possibly drive in and unhitch the boat there may just be enough room we do have a small mulberry tree right at the back of the driveway but no way of steering the trailer thru the gates

No way of removing the gates the house is on one side and the neighbors fence is on the other side of the driveway a narrow stretch of about 6 meters

Ganna be really tight to get her in and out of the backyard so i will likely build a dolly not just yet tho

Here is the yard no pic of driveway as i got the letter box in picAttachment 121133Attachment 121134Attachment 121135Attachment 121136Attachment 121137

Are you sure you can't lift the gates off the hinges?

Matt

Gates off, timber on house unbolted, it looks like a 90X90, so that's quite a bit extra.

Im not sure if the gates lift up off the hinges will have to check

Cant really unbolt the timber my dogs are pretty aggressive to stray cats and strangers so i dont really want to pull it off than have problems rebolting it back on

The old trailer is 2.2m wide the gates clearance is about 2.3m i do have one.of those hand crank pusher wheels on my old trailer but the trailer wouldnt budge in my current yard on the down slope

The mover wheel may actually work from the driveway out into the backyard i will try

A good thing i just noticed in pic 3 i can build a roof from the house roof down to the fence and my boat will be shaded

surely with a jockey wheel fitted, having a 4wd with a winch pulling it through will work?

Eric its probably a good 60 meters from the driveway to where i want to park the boat if i pull it by winch i have no way of steering the boat and no way of spooling that kind of rope on a winch, i donno how fast winches work but 60 meters surely will take time?

I would also need to pull the trailer from the back some how definetly not pulling the aluminium trailer by the last cross member

Tie the dogs up, remove post on house with gate still attached, take boat up the back, refit post and gate, untie dogs, job done.