Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery stratification-the silent killer

battery stratification-the silent killer

well so ive just discovered Battery stratification after problem solving my flat "brand new " battery, you see i bought a donor vehicle to play around with and put in a new battery, wet acid and have had to charge it twice now, vehicle is unregistered and only start it up on week ends , thought i had parasitic draw so done the test and came back as 0.45 amps which i believe is acceptable loss , so going by factors off a vehicle not getting suffucient charge while having plenty of electric robbing capacities , it was determined i have this in my battery , the google doctor is saying to charge it twice before using and even shake up the electrolytes inside the battery .. the battery indicator flouro green light has now become black and bubbly . i guess can this new battery be saved. thoughts

Re: battery stratification-the silent killer

I wouldn’t think almost half an amp is an acceptable loss - no way. No wonder it’s flat after a few days.
    I’d be checking that out first.
    Re stratification- can you swap the battery with another car that does get used daily - then it will get a normal dose of bumps and driving forces so the electrolyte won’t settle.
    I would have thought stratification would take weeks or months to develop ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.45 amps X 24 hours = aprox 10 amp hours so over a week you have drained 70 amp hours which will equal flat battery.
    cheers ray

Nearly a half amp draw seems a lot for a battery to be sitting there. There's plenty of battery conditioners on the market most of which you generally use when a battery is new to extend it's life, you'd think the battery makers would already do this. Older batteries can be recovered with Epson salts, but generally the above is generally only good for sulphated batteries.

Have you checked the liquid un the battery, hydrometer on each cell, thpe black indicator can mean low acid levels, may need a top up.

okay guys thanks for that i keep checking for the drain , the maths says i have a small problem , start pulling fuses

damn nammit , now daylight saving has ended i only discover now there is a glow coming from inside , the little digital clock is staying on . case closed

Hey Cat i know u found the problem but if u can beg borrow or ask a rich church to buy u a multimeter the tips of the probes are pointed so u can insert them into wires without cutting the wires open

I would have probed each wire leading to to accessories and found which one was drawing the power quiet easy to do unless your wiring is a birds nest lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

It would have to be a very big bright clock to pull 0.45 Amps.

Clock , stereo , immobiliser if it has one. The wife's last rig was similar. New battery was good for about two weeks tops if it wasn't driven. Another thing to watch with modern cars is not leaving the keys in the ignition barrel in the off position. Apparently it is not uncommon for the cars computer to fire up when the key is inserted - even prior to being turned. Her current Camry will flatten a battery overnight like this.

What car is it catshark?

i bought a jeep 4.7 v8 and fixed the head gasket got it running etc cleared codes and runs mickey mouse.. and is a donar car for my other 4.7 seeing parts are steep crikey , now since discovering i may have left the radio on , im am getting older after all i do believe their may be drain , and besides it fun learning new stuff , auto electrics has always been a scary one for me , so likely drains on these models can be the security system, rear wiper motor, radio,clock , so im home learning the multi meter and going to pull fuses in a narrow down the cause

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    i bought a jeep 4.7 v8 and fixed the head gasket got it running etc cleared codes and runs mickey mouse.. and is a donar car for my other 4.7 seeing parts are steep crikey , now since discovering i may have left the radio on , im am getting older after all i do believe their may be drain , and besides it fun learning new stuff , auto electrics has always been a scary one for me , so likely drains on these models can be the security system, rear wiper motor, radio,clock , so im home learning the multi meter and going to pull fuses in a narrow down the cause
    Nearly bought one once but checked the price of servicing and parts and veered off. Did the same with a Land Rover Discovery and couldn't understand how (at the time) they hadn't changed mechanically for years let were happy yo charge $1000 for z service, may have changed now but have lost interest in them.

yeah true i knew what i was in for , really wanted the landrover but there more damaging on the pocket. i service and repair all my cars except auto elecky work, my other 4.7 is as reliable as any ford and holden ive had. having said though it is prefereable that you have a spare crank and cam sensor in the glove box handy LOL

Nice cars Cat they sound really mean with a exhaust on them and when u flog it makes people look

After i installed extractors and a full 2.5 inch exhaust on my VB V8 commodore i am very happy with the silent exhaust on my ford LTD V8 its all plesent cabin rumble, outside the car at any speed she sounds like a 6 cylinder other than when your going 10-15kph its got that nice lumpy idle sound

Actually was going thru a servo about 2 weeks ago and a few blokes were walking in the other direction pass the car one said to his mates "thats a v8" after he heard the engine

But really she is so quiet only about 10% louder than a 6 cylinder commodore

What exhause u got on her Cat? 3 inch? Rattle that burger right out your guts at 4500rpm? LOL

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

had a XR8 with Xforce 3inch cat back but was so loud and brutal it scared the birds out of the trees , now ive got the 4.7 and just went with a swap out of the muffler to a sports muffler and has a nice rumble that is discerning to the gentleman , ive had that too from random blokes ,"thats a V8" as they look in shock , charged the battery again and put her in was checking the amps and was bloody dialing of its head, open up the door to look in and the bloody 10 stacker CD is rotating discs , work in progress